The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bow roller for Manson Supreme 15 lb. anchor?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Bow roller for Manson Supreme 15 lb. anchor? Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I have acquired a Manson Supreme 15 lb. anchor (photo below) and I'm now shopping for a bow roller to use with it on my 22 Cruiser. My boat's stock roller is a rather small Sea Dog (also pictured below) and while the Manson will sit on it, it's really "perched" and it won't fit at all unless I remove the bail. I could replace the bail with a taller one, but I'd rather simply get a new roller that would fit better overall. Which is what brings me to this thread.

Manson Supreme:

2002 stock Sea Dog roller (which is really too small for this anchor, although it looks big in the photo):

The issue I'm running into is that none of the suitable (for the boat size) rollers I've found are really made for the Manson (like they are for Deltas, etc.). I've found a few "universal" rollers that would probably fit... sort of... but if I'm going to the trouble of buying and installing a new roller, I'd like to see what better options there might be.

I have searched the archives here, and although there are lots of great anchor/roller discussion, I didn't find where anyone specified a roller by model for this anchor (I do see that the roller C-Dory used on the "later" boats will work, but I don't know for sure what model that is, nor do I know if it works "just okay" or if it works well.

So, does anyone here use a Manson Supreme 15 lb. anchor on a 22? If so, which roller do you use and how well does it work with the anchor?

Thank you,
Sunbeam Hot

PS: I did contact Windline, and they said that a BRM-2 would work (it's meant for a Bruce), but it doesn't have a bail (and has a rolled lip that would take modification to add one), which I would like - so I'd like to see if anyone here has used a different roller successfully.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunabeam-

Are you planning on adding a windlass later?

If so, the "drop nose" or Pivoting Lewmar Anchor Roller is a self-launching winner, though I have no experience with it and the Manson Supreme.

I'm sure the Manson folks Tech. Team can tell you which anchor rollers their anchor is compatible with.

The obvious advantage of getting a self-launching anchor roller set up now is that later, when adding a windlass, you don't have to change anchor rollers again! Laughing

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
20dauntless

City/Region: Mercer Island and Decatur Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Retriever and Nordic Tug 37
Photos: Retriever
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The roller that came with my 2008 22 works great with the 15lb Manson. It does not pivot but it does self launch.

I'm underway right now (just came around Cape Caution) but will see if there's any indication of who makes it/what model it is when I stop. Not sure if I'll have Internet tonight, but I'll post back within a few days.

Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe:
Contacting Manson is not a bad idea, thanks. I'd contacted several roller mfgrs but not Manson themselves. Of course hearing from someone who has the same anchor and on a 22 Cruiser would be even better Cool

I do actually have a Lewmar 700H sitting in a box here, and haven't decided whether or when to mount it. At the moment, I'm hoping to head to the Lake Powell get-together, and I've decided to head to that sans windlass (I don't anticipate a lot of deep anchoring), but with good ground tackle. I'll probably run the Manson with a "secondary" type rode (less chain) and just haul it by hand for this trip. I want to use the boat some - and see some other "outfitted" 22's - before I make certain decisions (good basic ground tackle is not one of them, but a windlass is).

Sam:
Thanks! I remembered that you had the Manson 15, and that you mentioned it has been working with the original roller of your day (which is different from mine), so knowing which one it is would be great.

Sunbeam
Chester

City/Region: home
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick up a piece of 1"X1/8" aluminum stock at the hardware store and fabricate a new bail. Cheap and easy. That's what I did to accommodate a 6 kg Rocna. Then you can choose a new roller at your leisure.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chester wrote:
Pick up a piece of 1"X1/8" aluminum stock at the hardware store and fabricate a new bail. Cheap and easy. That's what I did to accommodate a 6 kg Rocna. Then you can choose a new roller at your leisure.

Chester,

Thanks for the suggestion. If I can't find a better roller before the trip, that's probably what I'll do. That said, it's not so much that I'm in a rush now (I may have given that impression without meaning to), as it is that I'm currently working on the boat (removing and replacing fittings, etc.), and if I just knew which roller I wanted, I could order it and get it installed. The only thing really holding me back is just not knowing which roller(s) would fit best.
20dauntless

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is made by Seadog Line and I believe it is their medium anchor bow rail. See here http://www.sea-dog.com/groups/2190-medium-anchor-bow-roller
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20dauntless wrote:
Mine is made by Seadog Line and I believe it is their medium anchor bow rail. See here http://www.sea-dog.com/groups/2190-medium-anchor-bow-roller

Thanks, Sam. That looks like mine, and as I went to the link, I was thinking "I guess I must have the small then if Sam has the medium." However, I see the small is a completely different style so ... huh. Does your Manson fit under the bail? Or did you modify or remove the bail?

(I will check mine and report back to clear up my end of it, anyway - I know mine is a Sea Dog but I have not measured it compared to Sam's link yet.)

Edited to add: Ah, okay, I see that mine appears to be the Sea Dog "Seahook Style" roller.

http://www.sea-dog.com/groups/2188-bow-roller-seahook-style

It looks similar to Sam's but is smaller/shorter all the way around. Not only wouldn't the Supreme fit under the bail, but (when I removed the bail just to test the fit otherwise) the chain end of the shank would land on deck well aft of the roller. I like that on Sam's the anchor shank rests on the metal of the roller and not on the gelcoat/deck.

Sunbeam

Last edited by Sunbeam on Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
20dauntless

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Manson fits under the bail with space to spare and the tip of the anchor clears the bow easily. Here's a picture:
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20dauntless wrote:
The Manson fits under the bail with space to spare and the tip of the anchor clears the bow easily. Here's a picture:

Thanks, Sam. It's great to see exactly how things line up and know which roller it is. I especially like that the anchor shank will not land on deck (which it would have with my current, shorter roller even if I had customized the bail).
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam,

If you happen to see this thread again, can I ask how much space there is between the after end of your anchor roller and your windlass? (I looked in your album but can't see for sure.)

I see that the medium roller (yours) is ~19" long, and that they make the same roller in a ~23" length. If I had the space ahead of the (future) windlass, I'd probably go for the longer one because I wouldn't mind having it covering the deck right on back to the windlass, since it's nice to have protection there anyway. Of course if it would interfere or be too long, then no.

I'm going to remove the current roller today, so... step one!

Sunbeam
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used a Manson 22 (?) on the C Dory 25 with the stock roller--probably the longer version of what you had. We had to lengthen the bail, but the 22 fit well. A concern on any of these types of anchors is the tip of the anchor hitting the gel coat on the bow of the boat.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Bob,

I just removed my original roller this afternoon (the "Seahook," which is the same basic look as Sam's but shorter and smaller overall, and rather small for the Supreme).

Also, I did get a chance to heft the Supreme up onto a Windline BRM-2 today, just to see how it looked (on the bow of a different 22-footer). The BRM-2 is designed for a Bruce-style anchor, IIRC. It did also fit the Supreme, which had a very strong "self launch" urge in the BRM-2 (even without the roller being a tilting model). It doesn't have a bail, which I sort of like on principle, although maybe it's fine without one (?). (I'm still trying to visualize how one would best lead the rode aboard once anchored and/or how to secure the anchor in the roller when underway or trailering - if anyone has comments I'm all ears.)

So, I'm thinking that unless someone pipes in with something (even) more ideal, I'll go with one like Sam's/the later stock one (which sounds like what you had as well) and/or the longer version of same model (if I think it would fit forward of a future windlass - not sure yet if it would or not).

Also to the good, this'll be one fewer fitting "bedded" in silicone Angry and a bunch more holes through the core either filled in (the old ones) or properly potted (the new ones) Thumbs Up

Thanks again for your input,
Sunbeam Hot
20dauntless

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got roughly 6 inches between the aft end of my roller and the front of my windlass (Lewmar V700). Hope that helps.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Sam - that does help Thumbs Up I believe I may be able to fit the longer roller, in which case I think it might be nice to have the roller go right back to the (future) windlass - just for chain/deck interface. I'll report back to the thread (after I check it out) for posterity.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: