The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Engine mount height
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roy & Dixie

City/Region: Silver Springs
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C Way
Photos: C-Way
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be very interested to hear how that works, as I think then it will be around where mine is (which I have not had a chance to try). When you get yours raised by 1", would you mind measuring the distance from the top of the transom cap to the center of the second-down engine mount hole? I'm just curious to compare it more precisely to mine.

Yesterday I got 2 big jobs accomplished, and they both turned out to be a lot easier than I had feared. I'll give an update on the engine raise here. This is how I accomplished it:

1) Lowered the tongue of the trailer as far as it would go.
2) Trimmed the F80 to be very close to parallel with the angle of the transom of the CD. The trim angle would allow the weight of the engine to lean onto the transom, not pull away from it after the 2 top bolts were removed. A 6x6 timber and a 2x6 filled in the space between the ground and foot of the F80.
3) The top 2 bolt's nuts were removed and the lower 2 bolts were loosened to the point that nuts were flush with the end of the bolts.
4) My wife slowly cranked the trailer tongue up, moving the stern down. As the weight of the engine was moved to the timbers, I was able to remove the top 2 bolts by backing them out with a wrench. The threads were sealed into sealant/calking.
5) The trailer tongue was slowly raised until the next set of engine holes were moved up to align with the transom holes. I could easily fine tune the engine position to align the holes.
6) Measurement of engine height indicated another inch raise would be close to perfect. It looked like there was still space for the lower bolts to slide within the lower engine mount slots, so we raised the tongue further until the next, and final pair of upper bolt holes alligned. There was not a bit of additional space in the lower bolt mounts, but it was a perfect fit.
7) All bolts were installed and tightened.

The only thing I had to do for the engine to slide up the transom was to cut 1/4" more off the edge of the black plastic strip covering the top of the transom. The engine mount widens slightly as it is moved up.

The top 2 holes are 2 1/4" down from the top of the black plastic strip. The 2 lower holes are 8" down from the top 2 bolts. The holes through the transom must have been laid out with a template for the F80, everything was just too perfect to have been randomly drilled.

Now it's off to the river for another sea trial.

"C-Way" Silver Springs, FL
Roy & Dixie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After yesterdays sea trail: at 3600 rpm, a speed increase of about 0.7 mph (13.4 mph, up from 12.7 mph) with engine raised 2". This is with bow riding noticeably lower with PermaTrim/engine trimmed to almost max down. I actually lost 1-3mph by trimming engine up, which raised the bow. Top of PermaTrim now rides just 1-2" below water surface at this speed.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy & Dixie wrote:

6) Measurement of engine height indicated another inch raise would be close to perfect. It looked like there was still space for the lower bolts to slide within the lower engine mount slots, so we raised the tongue further until the next, and final pair of upper bolt holes alligned. There was not a bit of additional space in the lower bolt mounts, but it was a perfect fit.

The top 2 holes are 2 1/4" down from the top of the black plastic strip.

Very slick way to make the change! I'm going to stow that one away in my "tips to remember" file. Also sounds like it made a clear improvement.

So if I'm reading this correctly, you wanted to move the engine up around 1". However (at least on my F80) the holes are around 3/4" apart. So, since you found you could, you moved the engine up two sets of holes, or around 1-1/2"? I think now yours is higher than mine, and yet it sounds like it's an an optimum height now with the Permatrim. I guess one variable is how lightly or heavily the boat is loaded (i.e. where the stern sits vis-a-vis the static water line), but just to compare as-is and be sure I understand correctly:

When you say "the top two holes are 2-1/4" down from the top of the black plastic strip," you mean the very first hole in the engine mounting plate? (i.e. the "two holes" because there are a matching holes port and starboard). If so, you are now at 2-1/4" while mine is at 1-1/4" I guess that squares with what we said earlier when, if you had moved yours up 1" it would have been at the same level as mine (but you went more like 1-1/2" when you saw you could and since each set of holes only changes it by around 3/4").

Just to re-cap then, here is how my engine is now:

Measuring down from top of black plastic cap to center of each set of holes, for the top three holes:

1-1/4"
2"
2-3/4"

It just so happens it's the second set of holes that is used for the fasteners on my engine. And there is room in the lower slot to move it up, so I could do that at some point. Nice to know.

And then, just in case the plastic cap is not quite the same on our two boats, I measured up from the colored gelcoat "bottom" line (not the black tape stripe, but the actual gelcoat line) to the same three holes and got these measurements:
9-1/4"
10"
10-3/4"

(In other words, I ignored the fourth, or bottom, set of holes in the group of four both times, just because clearly we would not be using those.)

If you get a chance to measure/compare one more time, I would be interested in the results. I'll definitely have to check it out once I get underway. Sounds like my engine is at a better height to begin with, but may possibly benefit from an additional lift (subject to sea trial to check the current height, of course).

Thanks again,

Sunbeam
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy,
Did you get a chance to run the boat faster than 3600 RPM? What was RPM at WOT? The 13.4 mph may not be the ideal speed to run the boat at. Depending on the weight, I would want to see a bit more speed at that RPM--and I wonder where you are on the "planing curve"..With the bow down that much you may not be running the boat most efficiently. At a higher speed you may find the Permatrim rides on the top of the water. Still riding 1 to 2" below the surface, and bow down,--plus loosing speed as you trim engine up, makes me think you are not at ideal cruise speed.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Roy & Dixie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy,
Did you get a chance to run the boat faster than 3600 RPM? What was RPM at WOT? The 13.4 mph may not be the ideal speed to run the boat at. Depending on the weight, I would want to see a bit more speed at that RPM--and I wonder where you are on the "planing curve"..With the bow down that much you may not be running the boat most efficiently. At a higher speed you may find the Permatrim rides on the top of the water. Still riding 1 to 2" below the surface, and bow down,--plus loosing speed as you trim engine up, makes me think you are not at ideal cruise speed.

I need to run at different rpm's and record my results. Earlier I had seen close to 5500 rpm WOT, so the prop should be about right. I agree the best speed/efficiency will be at a higher rpm. I was surprised to see speed not increase with less engine trim, so I must not have been well enough up on plane.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy,
It will be interesting to see what WOT and higher speeds are. That engine should be close to 6,000 RPM at WOT, and I would think that a light boat should be in the high 20's at sea level at WOT.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Roy,
It will be interesting to see what WOT and higher speeds are. That engine should be close to 6,000 RPM at WOT, and I would think that a light boat should be in the high 20's at sea level at WOT.

Just as a data point, the manual for my 2002 F80 calls for a "full throttle operating range of "5,000-6,000" rpm. I don't know if other motors (or a 1999 F80) are the same though.

If I remember correctly, I got around 5,600 and 28 (not as sure of my memory on speed; might have been a touch higher) at WOT with a relatively light boat (two people, full water tank, heavyish kicker, and not much else aboard). That said, I've since fit a new (different) prop (and a Permatrim), and I'll customarily not have such a light boat (just a few new variables!), so I'll have to re-test once I get back in the water.

Sunbeam
Roy & Dixie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I posted: After yesterdays sea trail: at 3600 rpm, a speed increase of about 0.7 mph (13.4 mph, up from 12.7 mph) with engine raised 2". This is with bow riding noticeably lower with PermaTrim/engine trimmed to almost max down. I actually lost 1-3mph by trimming engine up, which raised the bow. Top of PermaTrim now rides just 1-2" below water surface at this speed.

I don't know why I ststed "MPH' when I have both GPS's set for nautical speed. Thus my 13.4 was actually nautical x1.15= 15.4mph. That sounds a little better. Next time out I plan to run and record speed at each 500rpm increase at best speed trim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: