The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Marine paint that matches C-Dory exterior "white"?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Marine paint that matches C-Dory exterior "white"? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has found a good exterior marine paint color match for the C-Dory "white" of the outside of the boat (I checked the archives and found info on a good match for the interior cabinetry, so that's filed away for reference Thumbs Up).

I'll explain why, because otherwise I would expect people to recommend I use gelcoat. Actually, I have purchased some gelcoat by using the code numbers I found here, and it's a perfect match, so that's sweet. In this case, I have something I would just prefer to paint. I'm installing a Mini-Jacker for the second engine, and it comes with a built up plywood pad for the inside. I've coated the whole thing in neat epoxy (lots of end grain!), but now would like to paint it - slightly for looks, but mostly because epoxy and UV do not play well together. Sure, it doesn't need to match exactly, but before I go ahead and order some EasyPoxy, Brightsides, or similar (they have a number of whites that look like they might work), I figured I'd see if anyone had determined which one was the best color match. Once I have a can, I may use it for some other (non-gelcoat) projects I have in mind, such as a splashwell table - so a nice match would be preferable to just any-old white.

I'm way out in the sticks at the moment, so would prefer to find a color I can just order (the UPS truck does come out this far Very Happy), since I will be mounting the Mini-Jacker soon (before I would get to a town with a big paint store). It will be a lot easier to paint that plywood pad before I mount it.

Thanks,
Sunbeam Hot
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you have the color figured out go to home depot for the paint. The one by my house is now carrying marine paints for 1/2 to 1/3 the price of any of the Marine stores. My father used both paints and none skids that he bought at home depot to complete several projects on his boat this last year. All worked really well and cost far less.
digger

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Sik
Photos: Snoopy-C
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

West Marine has Interlux topside paint that has a Hatteras Off-white that is close. I used it for the wooden door on my current C-Dory cruiser. It is spendy, but it covers well, goes far, and lays flat and smooth. Can be brushed on with good results. Ron
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also use the pigment which is used for gel coat and epoxy to color most of the easypoxy/brightside type of paints to give the final touch up to exactly match the color of the gel coat. Generally a slight amount of yellow and brown in a pure white paint will come very close--you have to add a few drops at a time, mix and then dab. You may also want a primer on the epoxy to give better adhesion even after washing off the amine, and a light sanding.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digger wrote:
West Marine has Interlux topside paint that has a Hatteras Off-white that is close.

Thanks for that info, Ron. I was looking at their color chart earlier and I never would have guessed the Hatteras Off-White would have been the best one - It looks so dark/orangey. I would probably have chosen "White" or "Off-White." But that's one reason I asked - it's not that easy to choose based on the computer monitor, and I'm a long way from any real color chips (like you can view at West Marine, etc.). So it's good to have input from someone who has actually used it and compared it in real life.

Here is their color chart, btw:

As far as price goes, I don't mind spending a little extra for the Interlux, because by the time I get done with all the time it takes, plus brushes, thinners, etc.... the cost of the paint is not a big factor. I think I did talk myself down from the two-part LPU though Very Happy

Sunbeam
digger

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Sik
Photos: Snoopy-C
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, it is possible that the age of the boat may slightly impact the gel color. The color chart does not look quite correct, but the color I used is what I said, and it is close to the dory gel. It is possible that the hatteras may be a bit yellower, and the off-white a little lighter. Perhaps they have samples you can purchase smaller than the quart size.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digger wrote:
You know, it is possible that the age of the boat may slightly impact the gel color. The color chart does not look quite correct, but the color I used is what I said, and it is close to the dory gel. It is possible that the hatteras may be a bit yellower, and the off-white a little lighter. Perhaps they have samples you can purchase smaller than the quart size.

That Hatteras Off-White does look really dark on that chart, doesn't it? I wonder if they have changed the color or something. I think my gelcoat is still pretty much "new" color, because I ordered some gelcoat using the factory tint code, and it matches perfectly.

Oh for a real color chip!

Sunbeam
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Paint Matching Reply with quote

One thing to think about the next time you add something to your boat that requires cutting a hole. Place the scrap in a small Ziploc bag and label it, then place it in your workshop for future reference. Of course the down side of a boat getting old outside it that the boat will fade and the bagged sample will not...
This trick has saved a few night of restless sleep, as I have samples bagged for most of my boats.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
bcassal

City/Region: BLoomington
State or Province: IN
Vessel Name: Carpy
Photos: Carpy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petit ezepoxy (sp?) ,not an epoxy, off white is a dead match for carpy

carpy
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bcassal wrote:
Petit ezepoxy (sp?) ,not an epoxy, off white is a dead match for carpy

Great info - thanks Thumbs Up

Edited to add: Looking at the color chart, I see that - like the "Hatteras Off White," by Interlux, mentioned above by digger as another match - the color chip looks totally off on the digital color chart. Weird how they both skew to darker/yellower, at least on my monitor. You'd never guess that either of them were going to match!

Brightsides and Easypoxy are roughly equivalent paints, both being essentially an alkyd paint that's marketed as a "one-part polyurethane." I wouldn't paint my whole boat with them (would use a two-part paint), but for the plywood Mini-Jacker backing plate, or similar added item, it will be fine.

I also appreciated the idea to take a gelcoat chip (I have a nice "bottom of the cup" puck from when I mixed some of the new stuff up the other day) and have it matched at a good paint store. If I were anywhere near a town with a paint store, I would.

Thanks,
Sunbeam
billtwymank

City/Region: Pinehurst - New Bern, NC
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lady KC
Photos: Lady KC
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Engineered Marine Coatings (EMC) Paint Reply with quote

Was wondering if anyone out there has used this product on a boat.

www.emcllc.net

Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this thread came back up, I just thought I would mention that (on Carpy's good advice) I did purchase some of the Pettit Easypoxy (modified alkyd) paint in "off white," and, just as he said, it is an excellent match for the C-Dory "white" gelcoat color. When repairing gelcoat I still like to re-gelcoat, but I used this paint for a couple of accessories I made (splashwell tray, splashwell swim-step bridge, etc.) and it is indeed an amazing match. Thanks again!
homerjack

City/Region: Homer
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: 49er
Photos: 49er
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about bottom paint that matches dark blue trim? Hate using that sky blue color that is so prevalent in bottom paint.
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:44 am    Post subject: paint Reply with quote

Sunbeam.........

I used off white Easy Poxy on my cabin doors and weather sheild on the bacl of the cabin on my 22' CD. That was 20 yrs ago and it still looks acceptable and it is a dead match in color. Great stuff to apply using a brush.

Homerjack......

I checked with the Homer Boat Yard to price blasting my bottom paint off and re-gelcoating the bottom. $125/ft.

Jack in Alaska

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
homerjack

City/Region: Homer
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: 49er
Photos: 49er
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah $2500 to bottom paint every 2 years?. I do it myself just fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: