City/Region: Vancouver, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Knotty C
Photos: Knotty C
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

I, for one, appreciate the information you provided. One of the concerns that I have had with our new found ability to boat in the San Juans is that we would, without intention, violate some law about getting too close to the whales. In fact, I have been wondering where we could get information so that we would know the rules. I am well aware that they are there because on our honeymoon, two years ago, we went on a whale watching zodiac out of Victoria. It was a wonderful experience and we were informed by our guides that there are all kinds of rules for boaters who want to watch whales.

One of the things we are hoping to experience in our travels up there is to see whales from our own boat. Does that mean we intend to chase them down? No. But we do hope to see them. On the other hand, if we don't know where they go, how do we know to be careful or what to look for so we don't run over them? We very easily could have been one of the boaters you saw just out of ignorance, but I don't believe we were.

While it would be amazing to see the whales close up, it would never be our intention to disturb these amazing creatures.

Dee
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whales....here is a good argument for rigging up with twin outboards. If you just have a main and a small kicker for fishing, you're going to find that the kicker just doesn't have near enough ump to troll a plug cut sea lion and still get the proper roll Smile
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the biggest things we should probably do is that as soon as we see dolphins or whales we need to make sure to shut down our depth finders. And in fact if we aren't using them to fish/navigate with they should not be on in the first place. I know I haven't been following that practice as I have never really thought about the affect it has on Whales and Dolphins and I'm almost always fishing and need to know the depth but I'm going to make a concerted effort to do so from now on.

Thanks for bringing the link back to my attention Tom!

John, I really wish you would put your pictures back up. They were stunning pictures and I see NO PROBLEM with you having them on this site. I believe so long as we let people know how to safely watch Whales by providing links like the one Tom did we are doing all we can to help the Whales. Simply having your pictures online won't make a bit of difference to those people who would harrass them as they would do it anyway. And the pictures may actually make people more aware that they are out there and in how to act when they are there.

Just my $0.02

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damm B ~C !!! I almost choked on my granola!! ok it was steak but you get my point..
cdlas

City/Region: Molalla & Lakeside
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: CFURTWO
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Whale watching Reply with quote

I know better Twisted Evil but went to the Orca site mentioned Rolling Eyes and wonder after reading what is said there about what they eat, salmon and various other things. Why would a group of people want to protect sea lions Idea since they appear to get the salmon Unlove so there are not any salmon left to go up the river to lay their eggs Question I guess I have said enough as there are rules and then there are rulers Disgust Some are twelve inches others just are short by several Razz
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now that we have reached the point of measureing are selves I think its time to close this one down!!!
Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starcrafttom, I have to disagree. Granola doesn't make me uptight, in fact it it cleans my pipes up real good. Try it! Too, in your effort to "set him straight" you might have missed Checkraise John's message if you believe he "regards his fellow Americans as stupid or evil." Do you really mean that?
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a word yes. If you do not believe that most people, given the chance, are going to do the right thing then you believe they are going to do the wrong thing. Why do people do the wrong thing?? Because they are stupid or evil. Either they can’t figure out the right thing or they love doing the wrong thing. No mystery here.
I am not trying to bust anyone’s chops. I started this threat to share info about something I get a thrill out of. Check gets the same thrill but does not feel its “right” to help others get this thrill. There are people who are too stupid to be given the chance at my favorite fishing holes, but I do not make that assessment without meeting them first, and they are out there. We do not have an argument over how to view whales, if you want that call p.e.t.a. We have a difference over the use of information. This is not secret info here. I did not hack n.s.a and hand out the troop movements to anyone with a keyboard. I was, and I hope have, given members of this site a starting point to investigate the wonderful nature of the sound. If anyone is offended… eat two granola bars and call me in the morning.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

front page says....
"No Rules - Just be nice!"
hmmm....

starcrafttom

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry roger I was just trying to pass one info to others.
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starcrafttom,

Thanks for posting the link, I think that the more people know about the whales and their environment, the better things will be.

For those who want more info, here are some links.

http://www.raincoastreaserch.org
http://www.wavelengthmagazine.com
http://www.wildwhales.org

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
Knotty C

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Nancy H, Starcrafttom, and Checkraise, for all the information you have posted here. I have learned a lot from the discussion and from the sites that have been posted. I may be a Pollyanna, but I would like to think that most people would use this information for the right reasons and, like me, wish to know as much as possible so that we aren't the "morons" who mistakenly run over the whales. But then again, it was that kind of thinking that kept me off the jury! Very Happy

Dee
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knottyc , have you gotten the bunks on your trailer looked at yet? I was wandering just how that came out. I remember looking at them at the ramp and I just did not like how they were set up. Also when are you two coming back up this way?
Knotty C

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, unfortunately, not yet. We're waiting for Sportcraft to get taller front mounts on the bunks. We are also concerned about the trailer, especially after we found damage to our gel coat from the slick bunks.

We're going to get back up there as soon as we can. Sure wish we could follow you up to Princess Louisa Memoria Day weekend, but we have another commitment early in the weekend. That will mean we have to stay close to home and cruise around here somewhere. We will have lots of opportunities after the second week of June when school is out and Don is off for the summer. I have a three day weekend every other week, so that seems to be the best opportunity for us. I'm also working on my vacation schedule so we can join the Desolation Sound event for at least one week before Don goes back, but we'll be up there long before that.
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iam just hoping the weather changes . so far today we have had, in no order, rain sun hail wind lighting calm air.. repeat. its not to bad because it does not last more them 15 mins at a time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: