View previous topic :: View next topic  
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: North Shore of Lake Superior Reply with quote

Looking for any advice about cruising the North Shore of Superior. Best put-in places? Areas not to miss?? Good anchorages or towns to visit?? Might be up that-away this summer.
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dress warm, the water temperature in Superior stays very cold even in July and August. I don't have my charts handy but recall the good fuel ports are some distance apart and after 1 Sep some aren't in full operation.

-- Chuck
Cynthia - CLou

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Lou
Photos: C-Lou and Pee Wee
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there -

This is my old stompin' grounds... I grew up in MN!!!

I think "Moose" from the Rainey Lake, International Falls, MN area can shed some light on boating in this big lake. I've only been on commercial boats there. DaNag's took a fishing charter there a couple of summers ago, (photos in their album) - maybe they know a bit more.

This body of water can get gnarly any old month of the year. Remember the song the "Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald"? It happened there... Be very careful on the big bad lake. Storms are unpredictable as I remember. Fishing for big lake trout should be great though. Bring along your bug juice 'cause the skeeters will carry El away ! ! !

Miss you guys! Love Cynthia

ps: FYI - There's a C-Dory dealer in Superior WI, just across the bridge from Duluth. Jon & I swung in there a couple of summers ago.

El and Bill

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"C-Lou"
Thanks for the suggestions. Wanna bring your boat back and be a guide?? Have you been over to Isle Royale and what do you think that would be like with a private boat?
Paul Dennis

City/Region: Terrace Bay, Ontario, Canada
State or Province: ON
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: Catch ya Later
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Superior North Shore Reply with quote

Hi El and Bill,

I'm not a very active member but noticed your message and perhaps I can help. I've lived in Terrace Bay for 18 years and have logged some hours exploring alot of the area around here.

There's so much to tell you, but let me begin by saying that the summer is short and I would suggest you aim for the middle of it! Late June, July or early August is best. The shoulder seasons tend to be windy and cool.

Highpoints.... Slate Islands ( caribou, lighthouse, shattercone, rugged wilderness), Village of Rossport ( good food, fuel, clusters of near shore islands), Rossport to Marathon ( spectacular scenery, rugged coastline, cobble beaches, sand beaches, ghost towns, lake trout etc).

Spend some time researching on the web... if this trip looks promising, feel free to contact me with any questions.

MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now here's a topic that can really get me excited; I've had charts of the big lake spread out on the desk for the last week! In years past we canoed around the Slate Islands and from Marathon to Wawa (105 mi.). Last June we boated from Thunder Bay to Rossport and back. All experiences have been spectacular. You may want to pick up a copy of Bonnie Dahl's "Superior Way - The Cruising Guide to Lake Superior". It's invaluable with detailed harbor and weighpoint info. Also, search the web for something like "the marinas of Superior's north shore". Some general thoughts include: Isle Royale looks fascinating and perfectly do-able (people even small boat over to it from Houghton, MI - 60 miles!) but it is a National Park with all that that connotes in terms of restrictions, etc.; the Loon Harbor area of the Black Bay Penisula will probably see a return visit from us this year as it is very scenic and protected and we met some Finlanders there who have a sauna!; the Slates are very interesting and as Paul said the remnants of a meteorite shattercone; the NE Pukaskwa shore is full of little coves just made for C-Dories, but again is a National Park; and before it's all over, I want to make it to the mystical Michipicoten Island though that might best be done from Wawa because of the distances involved. Paul and others are right about weather and bugs. Late July and early August are best for weather and plug that rear bulkhead cable hole and hawse pipe with sponges to keep the creaping wildlife out. Keep us apprised of your plans and let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Al

Cynthia - CLou

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Lou
Photos: C-Lou and Pee Wee
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El & Bill

Check out the website and links for Isle Royale Nat'l Park, & the Thunder Bay Ontario area - & don't forget to look at the Sault Ste. Marie area...

http://www.nps.gov/isro/
http://www.thunderbay.ca/

Another fun area for you two to consider could be Mackinaw Island in Lake Michigan... Just a thought, neat area as I remember, no motorized vehicles on the island & should have neat marinas, etc.

http://www.mackinac.com/
http://www.mackinacisland.org/

Love Cynthia
El and Bill

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great ideas, folks -- heading to the Internet search for more info. Looks like we will certainly be up to Superior this summer. Will be back with more questions. Thanks for the response.
MOOSE

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just got back a week ago from ten flawless days on the north shore of Lake Superior. It was as if summer finally arrived the day we left and we had warm, generally sunny weather the whole time. This is, of course, not the rule on the big lake, especially in June. We put in at the Red Rock, Ontario, marina, crossed Nipigon Bay, through Nipigon Straits, and then spent our time on the outside of the Black Bay Peninsula, becoming better acquainted with places we visited last year. What a fabulous cruising area. Stay tuned for pics.
Al
El and Bill

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to the pictures. We're in the Erie Canal now, but later in August, with new engines, we'll be ready for some bigger water and the north shore of Superior still looks appealing to us. Glad you had such a great cruise.
MOOSE

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite myself, the pics are finally posted, El and Bill. You're gonna have fun when you get there. Don't delay too late in the season though. There's a reason most of the larger boats have wood stoves in them!
Al
El and Bill

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots of the Superior country -- the Kala Mojakka made my mouth water. Is mid-August getting too late for the north shore?? When do you expect winter storms to start up there?
MOOSE

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments on the pics. The country is so grand it's very difficult to capture all one would like in a photo.

The debate is always whether the last two weeks in July or the first two in August are the best. Mid-August should be primo, but sometimes even here in N. MN, by mid-August we have a blow and suddenly it ain't summer anymore. Our new friend on the north shore says he often closes up his cabin around Labor Day, which really surprised me as being awfully early. But he said he's seen gale force winds night and day for three days in September, and as he is tied to having to get back to work, he cannot afford to be island bound for so long.

And as an aside, I wasn't kidding about boats, even 28 footers, having wood stoves in them. It kind of blew my mind, but I could see where they could be a real comfort in certain conditions.

Al
C Bear

City/Region: Hubbell
State or Province: MI
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings from the Keweenaw Peninsula!
Old Timers in this neck of the woods claim to have seen snow in any of eleven months of the year and I believe them. Thus, there is no perfect answer as to the perfect time to see Superior. However, in my years here, I have come to expect the weather to start changing in earnest by Halloween. September offers exceptionally clear air as the water vapors of summer subside. August should be just fine.
Best wishes for your Superior voyage.

El and Bill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al and C Bear --

Any chance of hooking up for a little Superior cruising in mid to late August??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: