View previous topic :: View next topic  
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: LAKE OF THE WOODS Reply with quote

Anybody do boating on this lake?? Interested in comments about cruising the lake -- best time to go? -- bugs? -- put-in places? -- Been up there, Moose?? Thanks for any help.
El and Bill

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, How did this get under Motor Control Systems??? Ah, well, the world works in mysterious ways ... Anyway, anyone know anything about Lake of the Woods? Looks big and interesting.
Cynthia - CLou

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Lou
Photos: C-Lou and Pee Wee
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bill & El

Some of the info you might be looking for could be on the NPS website for Voyageurs National Park (Rainey Lake, etc.)

http://www.nps.gov/voya/

I have canoed there years ago as a youngster. I also have friends that have a cabin on a private island in Lake Kabetogama if you're interested in more info there. Let me know.

Cynthia

MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, we made a circuit of Lake of the Woods early last August. Even caught me my first muskie, on light tackle no less! We put in at Baudette, MN at a great public landing. The big SW part of the lake is awesomely expansive, as in can't see land, though only about 30' deep. With scarcely a tree between it and the Canadian Rockies the wind can stir up waves big enough to make you puke! The northern part of the lake has a myriad of islands and channels. I know you've been in Voyageurs Park and despite it being our home waters, I have to say that Rainy is a far prettier lake than most of LOW. LOW is on the edge of the prairies and so exhibits the forest transition from boreal/coniferous to deciduous. So there's much less of the red and white pine you'll see here. The other thing, and this actually caused us to curtail our trip, is that the whole lake, except for the Whitefish Bay portion which is oligotrophic trout water, gets a terrific algae bloom later in the summer. In places it appears one is boating through pea soup and one is reluctant to swim for fear of catching something! From what I've read, even the early voyageurs commented on this phenomenon, though I'm sure it is now exacerbated by agricultural run-off into the shallow SW basin. In summary, we'd go back, but earlier in the year or to Whitefish Bay.
Al
PS - Don't forget about Lake Nipigon; we'll probably be there in June.

Wheeler Dealer

City/Region: Wheeler, OR
State or Province: OR
Photos: Denebola
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many lakes accross the country with this name. Where are you?

Lake of the Woods, Oregon, is open to non-motorized boats only last time I checked.

Jon

Cynthia - CLou

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Lou
Photos: C-Lou and Pee Wee
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is in the land of over 10,000 lakes. Northern Minnesota, Wisconsin, Ontario Canada.

Wink CLou
El and Bill

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al --

Thanks for the update on Lake of the Woods, Ontario -- seems there might be some better choices for us. Are you primarily heading to Nipigon for the fishing?? Sounds great, but it is also a large lake and there seem to be few places for resupply. Perhaps that's part of the idea -- to get away -- we'll be interested in hearing your report, since if it seems like a great lake, we may want to head up that way this summer also.
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nipigon has some great lake trout, speckled trout, and northern pike fishing. I can't deny that's part of the draw. But it also should be considered the sixth Great Lake. It has crystal clear, cold water like Superior, is about 62 x 44 miles across, 450 feet deep, and shorelines up to 500 feet above the lake. Some parts (SE corner), I'm told, are like the fjords in Norway. A friend said he's seen three meter waves on it and there are no charts of the lake. Access is somewhat limited, though there's a first-rate launch on the east side near Beardmore where gas, albeit expensive, may be had. Our plan is to make a circuit of the center islands of the lake and by taking a couple extra six-gallon cans we should have no trouble making the distance. Keep us posted; maybe we could make a cruise.............
Al
El and Bill

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll keep you posted as we get up toward your 'neck of the woods.' Thanks for the info on Nipigon. We'll look forward to a report from you after your trip. 3 meter waves!! Yikes! Bon voyage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: