The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

TomCat 24 vs CD Cruiser 25 Interior Space

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbaronace

City/Region: Puget Sound
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: redbaronace (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: TomCat 24 vs CD Cruiser 25 Interior Space Reply with quote

Am trying to learn more about C-Dory and from the looks of things will have to save for some time to get our eventual boat.

None the less, I wanted to ask folks here how the interior space of a 24' Tomcat interior compares to s 25' Cruiser. For starters, I know that the 25' has a dedicated head, and 24' TC has the porta potty. I can live with the porta potty, but how about the rest of the interior. Does one feel more spacious? Is one wider than the other? Does the square nose of the TC make it feel overall bigger in the bed area? How about aisle, and table?

Those are the types of questions I have. Perhaps this will be of benefit to others as well.
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TC 24 has a dedicated head. It's under the helm and you step down into the stb. sponson. The problem for me ( 6'-4") was that it was a cramped space, just too small. Also there is a cloth covering, not a real door, but it did have a real toilet and holding tank. Ours had a raw water flush, however being below water level, if anything leaked or the flush mechanism didn't seal properly, it could siphon and flood over the toilet.

The windshield slopes at a 45 degree angle, and cuts into the usable cabin space.

I was thrilled to move from the TC24 to the TC255. Either TomCat has a queen size berth, you sleep side to side. The CD 25 berth is front to back and "V" shaped. I think the CD 25 table and seating is a little larger than the TC's.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
c-ness

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C-weetness
Photos: C-weetness
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We owned a TC24, but have spent limited time on a 25. My impression is that the biggest difference is in the berth. The TC berth is open and larger. The cat design allows for more room forward. I did find, however, that the head room in the 25 was superior. Discovery is also correct on noting that the sloped windows in the TC cut down on useable interior space.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ride in the TC 24 will be better going into chop. The bunk is definitely bigger, but be sure you can get into the head. As Brent noted, it is tight for many of us.

Having owned both a 25 and a Tom Cat 255, I felt that the table and settees were better in the 255--but a personal preference.

One caution--and that is if you are going to use the TC 24 in the high sunlight areas and hot areas, the forward window is a real solar collector. Some have made an eyebrow, sort of like a Bimni for the front window. At dock or anchor, you can cut reflective foil/ bubble wrap to reflect the light and heat. Also there is no opening window forward in the TC 24.

Both are great boats. Some areas and type of boating a protipotty is a better head solution....(where you don't have pump out available).

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
One caution--and that is if you are going to use the TC 24 in the high sunlight areas and hot areas, the forward window is a real solar collector. Some have made an eyebrow, sort of like a Bimni for the front window. At dock or anchor, you can cut reflective foil/ bubble wrap to reflect the light and heat. Also there is no opening window forward in the TC 24.

I would love to have a problem with so many nice warm days that the front window is real solar collector........
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One problem we had with the TC24 windshield was saltwater drying and causing a sheen that obscured vision. In hot climates the first pass of the wipers would result in drying salt and no way to remove it without going forward with fresh water and washing it off. There is no opening front window. This was particularly
hazardous in high traffic areas and entering marinas. The more vertical windshields on the CD 25 and TC 255 don't seem to have the same problem, also they both have opening front windows.

I considered a fresh water wash system for the TC 24 windshield, but we traded it in on the TC 255.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: