The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Any cause for concern?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tokelandpete wrote:
Wow
Don't sweat the small stuff.

On the other hand, I think that before buying a particular boat is a good time to "sweat" stuff that may (or may not) turn out to be small. At this point, if there are any problems you have not bought them yet, and sometimes a little detail or clue can uncover something more significant. (And/or it may not even be a problem or flaw, per se, but just a matter of preferences on the part of the buyer.)

Many times it is just something small and insignificant, so no problem going on to make the purchase (yay!), but why not check? If nothing else, it can help to ease a nagging worry as one prepares to spend a (to most of us) significant chunk of money.

Sunbeam
tcr_pnw

City/Region: Puget Sound
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Photos: Sea Star
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for all the great info and advice!

For me $42k is a large sum of money and should I spend it, I want the cleanest I can find for the price. While not my preference, bottom paint can be an asset, but the corrosion starting to show on the motors (which are only '09's) is the nagging part. I am unable to get any further info about when the paint was applied and how long it was slipped. Will continue the search unless more comes to light on this one. It is also lacking electronics for the price.

Thanks once again hopefully will be on the water soon.

Troy
jsimmons248

City/Region: Houston
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2004
Photos: jsimmons248 (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also in the process of finding and buying a C-Dory as you are but I have past experience with painting boat bottoms.

I highly recommend finding out what the current bottom paint is as this can have everything to do with where you go from here.

If the bottom has been painted multiple times there is a limit as to how thick it can get before the paint starts delaminating and you have to sand it down (or soda blast) to the fiberglass and start over (you normally find this with boats that are stored in the water and need the A/F refreshed periodically).

If it is a thick epoxy barrier coat (as suggested by one response I saw) then you mainly have a cosmetic issue assuming the existing paint is tightly adhered. A light sanding and application of Pettit's Vivid would really make it look nice and the paint is trailerable as well. If you don't need the anti fouling part there might be some other paint that can be applied over the epoxy but I am not sure exactly what that would be.

All the best with your purchase.

I hope to be joining the C-Brats as a boat owner one of these days myself! Smile
rogerar

City/Region: SW FL
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Duck
Photos: Duck
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, it looks great to me! It maybe dead from being out of the water too long, but just recoat and launch-it's only paint!
Roger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: