The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

09/06 - 09/08 - Vancouver Island Gathering 2013
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an album for you.
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Mike!! George
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW....WOW wow. It has been almost a month since I have been here (C-Brat site) and that has a lot to do with taking some time off work and spending 10 days on my boat (the longest time ever so far). Spent most of the time in the San Juans and much of the time in the fog. Great. I have been really honing some radar, AIS, GPS navigating skills. Some of the time in fog so thick I could hardly see the water from the helm window, with it open and me hanging out and looking (AND Listening for foghorns.)

The whole goal for the time was to wind up in Sidney for my most looked forward to CBGT ever, (well pretty much almost anyway.) OF course, that was one of the more challenging parts of the trip. Not hard, or dangerous, but interesting and requiring some pretty interactive navigation. (Generally, my choice is not to go out in the fog, but with the proper equipment, it is possible to do, reasonably safely, and with success.)

Leaving from Prevost Harbor on Stuart Island, early on Friday, it was pleasant cruising, with about a mile of visibility. That changed after I refueled at Roche and went out through Mosquito Pass into Harro Strait. Visibility dropped to less than 50 feet and at times less than that. After confirming that it was about the same farther out (Called a container ship heading out at 18 knots and was told by that captain that he could only see about the aft 1/4 of his ship and it had not changed for the last hour,) I decided to give up on the whale watch trip and go back to meet the group at Prevost. Meeting 2 Bears just around Turn Point we elected to go on across to Sidney.

More radar, AIS and plotter work, and continuing to monitor Victoria Traffic, (which was a very helpful, useful and accommodating service.) This was my first on the water crossing of the International boarder. Navigation was a mater of picking the points to work between, watching the radar and plotter, and keeping in touch with 2 Bears, and maintaining awareness of the surroundings, something that we do as a matter of practice, each time we turn the key and venture from the dock.

It was so good to see Sidney, first in the close up view on the plotter and then through the fog. Sneaking into the harbor around the big rock wall, felt like coming home. The Customs entry was comfortable, bordering on cordial, and the C-Brat reception was like a family reunion.

It was so good to get to meet some new (to me) friends from the Island. Mike and Monica really did a great job of lining things up for a great weekend. From the instrument approach drill, to the perfect weather, the good excuse for the exercise we needed, and the Fish on Fifth experience. What a super treat. Getting to meet folks (neighbors) from my home from above the border, Terry and Valerie and learning about some of the changes in Sidney and some of the things that are still the same.

Always good to see the Brats, and to get caught up some. Kerri On, C Rinity, C-Dancer, Daydream, C-Cakes, RockC, Retriever, InCahoots, SusanE, KnottyC, and the others that I can't name at the moment. You all are wonderful, and it was a very good time. Thanks for sharing.

And, By The Way Tom, on my way home, after the Prince of Whales out of Victoria, crossed my bow about 200 yards out, in the fog, and I decided not to give chase to go see whales, as I was approaching Hein Bank, I had 2 Orca cross my bow less than 50 yards out at first sighting. Two females, I got to see for a couple of times and then on another 6-8 minutes, another sighting, 2 females and a male, and with the lighter fog at the time, I got to see several surfacings as they traveled east across the bank.

The long and the short. It was absolutely worth the trip on every level. It was rewarding to get to do the increased technical level navigation, and return home safe and sound. It was a pleasure to meet and make new friends, and to rebuild old friendships. And I am looking forward to another CBGT in Sidney, and maybe also in Pender, along with looking froward to another chance to spend more time on the boat.

Thanks to all for their part in making this a really great success.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post Harvey. That fog was thick. We had two radios going one on 16 the other on Victoria traffic 9 both plotters on Ipad navionics and Garmin and AIS Shipfinder on Iphone. Blowing the horn was fun! Keeping to a compass course was good practice The c dory has a big boat sounding horn. We only ran a few miles in really heavy fog like 50 ft viz and the red bouy at Sidney marina showed up about 2 seconds after I said "we should see the red bouy in a moment". Carolyn was some impressed. I give credit to Senor Garmin. Hey who else has photos to post? George
bridma

City/Region: Comox
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: 09/06 - 09/08 - Vancouver Island Gathering 2013 Reply with quote

When we were coming in 3 or 4 miles off Sidney, the fog turned into a real thick 'pea souper', couldn't see 50 yds. I had my head hanging out the window looking and listening, and sounding my horn every minute. I only heard one other horn and that was unmistakable the BC ferry.
Two large sailboats loomed out of the fog, they were lost, both tucked on to my tail and followed me in to Sidney marina.
I saw several other boats in the fog with no lights on. Or if they were on, they were not visible.
Just got home from a weekend out, lots more fog. I'm getting good at this now Smile

We have some pics to add to the Sidney gathering album. Will post soon.

Martin.
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a great trip, and fun, challenging navigation. G;ad everyone made it in and out OK.

Yes George, I had both VHF's and a hand held running. I was very interested in the responses of Victoria Traffic, and who called in. Considerable more "non parts" (non participating traffic), - pleasure craft that did check in on conditions, routes and traffic.

I was not surprised at the few fog horns I heard. (Very few, compared to the radar blips.) One guy I was close enough to see, when mine went off, picked up a canned air horn and pointed at me and blew that. Hearing them and then deciding direction in the comfort of the C-Dory pilot house, which direction the sound originated was not real easy. Generally made for running with both side windows and the front open. That was cool. Wink

For anyone considering one. the RayMarine VHF 218, allows monitoring a VHF channel and still operate the Auto Fog function. Either pushing the 16 button or the transmit PTT on the mic will disengage the auto fog, requiring a reset for the function.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon
bridma

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: 09/06 - 09/08 - Vancouver Island Gathering 2013 Reply with quote

Still lots of room in the Vancouver Island 2013 gathering album for more photos. I saw lots of cameras. Don't be shy, we want to see your pics.

Martin.
Mike_J

City/Region: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Natural C-lection
Photos: Natural C-lection
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have uploaded several of my pictures to the album. (I did not find uploading them very easy... I am too used to the ease of Picasa!)

Looking forward to seeing more pictures!

Mike_J

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also finally got around to updating my blog: http://naturalc-lection.blogspot.ca/2013/09/september-6-8-sidney-c-brat-gathering-22.html
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike_J wrote:
I have uploaded several of my pictures to the album. (I did not find uploading them very easy... I am too used to the ease of Picasa!)

Mike, Nice job with the pictures. Really nice sky, color and reflections.

Thanks again for putting this on and putting up with all the "brats". I, for one, had a really great time.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike_J wrote:

Mike, Nice job with the pictures. Really nice sky, color and reflections.

Thanks again for putting this on and putting up with all the "brats". I, for one, had a really great time.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon
bridma

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: 09/06 - 09/08 - Vancouver Island Gathering 2013 Reply with quote

Did anyone get any pics of the fish & chip supper, also the boat christenings? We have lots of stuff missing in the gathering photo album.

Martin.
Mike_J

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There probably wasn't room to get pictures at the chipper! I think we had a crowd there! I should have used my phone!
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? No pic of the 27? No respect for the big guy.
Mike_J

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realised after I downloaded my pictures that you were out (fishing?) when I took my pics... Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: