The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

07/26 - 07/28 - La Connor Gathering
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:32 am    Post subject: 07/26 - 07/28 - La Connor Gathering Reply with quote

We had such a good time last year that we would like to host La connor again this year. We have a few ideas for next year and want to run it by the pub to see what you think.

I was thinking of having two different destinations. Friday and Saturday night at La conner and then leave sunday morning to head out to a different spot for one more pot luck and gathering on a beach some where. I was thinking watmough bay or Spencer spit. Maybe even James Island. All are not that far from La Conner ( east side of the san juans) and have nice beaches. No docks ( well james has a dock on one side but not the other) so it will be a anchor out and dingy in kind of affair but I like that a lot. I would want to leave LC by 11 to get there and get set up in time for a 5 or 6 dinner and happy hour. So what say you?

On edit by Da Nag
Signup Sheet Added

colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, C-Cakes cannot be there, we'll be back East but your idea sounds intriguing. Tides, crowds, and travel time would be things I'd worry about but a nice new idea.
JDS

City/Region: Coeur d'Alene
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-IDAHO
Photos: C-Idaho
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

The Sunday extension sounds like a good plan.

We were hoping that La Conner and Comox would be on consecutive weekends again this year in order to combine the two events. Last year we were signed up for both but had some some family matters come up and had to cancel.

Based on the dates from last year we took an educated guess and scheduled time off to hopefully cover La Conner for July 20 and Comox for July 27. (I don't even know if Martin is planning another Comox event however)

Getting back to your question, if Comox is happening the following weekend I would suggest a Sunday night location that gets people headed in the right direction towards Comox.

Thanks for your efforts in making the La Conner gathering happen again.

Jim and Marti

Don and Brenda

City/Region: Camano Island, Wa
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: R-27 Tug
Photos: C-Quest
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might have quite a few C-Dory's and Ranger Tugs passing each other, the tugs will arrive in Comox on July 29 coming from Nanaimo. Should be about 50 tugs all headed to Desolation. My boat will be one of them.
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: need advice for planing la connor. Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

We had great fun last year at the Comox gathering. But Andrea and I are not planning on hosting Comox again this year. I was rather hoping that some of our Brat neighbours in Nanaimo, Gulf Islands, Ladysmith, Sunshine Coast, Campbell River, will pick up the baton.

Martin.
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don, Nice upgrade you got there Wink

that's what happened last year. We passed a lot of tugs headed north while we were running south. I to hope that some one on the Canadian coast host a gathering this summer. Maybe in the victoria -sooke area.
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would much rather spend the time at Spencer's Spit than sit in the current at LaConner. Nice enough town but there is so much more in the San Juans.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

I liked La Conner. It was my first time there, and it may be because of the good trip across the Strait and back. It may be because of the cool grand prize, (more on the later), at the drawing or because of running into some good friends from back in my Montgomery sailing days. Whatever reason, It was a fun time.

I like the idea of a move, just because I would like to be able to get some more photos of our boats NOT tied to a dock. The timing will be important. Going back across the Strait generally requires a very early morning departure to avoid the mid to late morning winds. It looks like you are looking at leaving LC around 11AM on Sunday and being in the islands on Sunday night. Might work if I can get away from work for that Monday. NO chance of getting off for a week anywhere around that time. I'd vote for the move on Sat but that would take away time from being in LC so I can see that might not be a popular choice.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

starcrafttom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After consulting the vacation gods it looks like La Conner with be the weekend of the 26-28th of July. Now if the Canadians can get one together before or after, I hope after, that would be great. But remember if you are hosting it its what even works best for you. And just because we had these two events close together last years does not mean that they have to be this year.

As far as location for the second annual traveling great white north c-brat invasion ( your welcome for the naming) I vote for Sydney spit.
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: need advice for planing la connor. Reply with quote

Hi Tom,

Love the name for the next Canadian adventure. If you are voting for Sidney Spit, will you come and visit us all in the Sidney marina? Twisted Evil

Martin.

PS. Really looking forward to meeting up with you and Susan again. You gave me lots of help last time.
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well If I have to go to a dock just to see you guys i guess I can do that. The more I anchor out the less I like marina's.

Any time you are down this way give us a heads up. We will be out the whole first week of July and another week later on in the summer. Mostly in the gulf islands.
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have been busy of late and had not asked the board gods for a sign up sheet yet. So how about a sign up for the second La conner cruise the weekend of July 26th to 28th. details to follow.
kevin ware

City/Region: Mount Vernon
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: El Gato Thomas
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: LC Reply with quote

Spencer Spit is a good choice. Winds are usually either from the N. or S., allowing one to anchor or tie up on the lee side. Takes about 45 minutes to get there from LC. If there is not much wind, rafting up several boats on one anchor, or on one of the public buoys would save some space.

KW
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am toying with having the event as a completely anchor out gathering but do not know how well that would be received. Some folks like to anchor out, others love it and others hate it.

So what say the pub? would you consider a anchor out only event? No dock No showers or rest room ( except what you bring) and cook out on the beach for dinner??
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
So how about a sign up for the second La conner cruise the weekend of July 26th to 28th.

Done...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: