View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Fuel-filler grounding on 22 Cruiser Reply with quote

I'm now selling my damn boat too dangerous to put fuel in it. Or maybe I'll just have the fuel attendant do it while wait for the process to be over in some other zipcode. I think grounds in a car are tied to the negative side of the battery. Remember cars used to have accessory ground strap hanging underneath. I think I get one of those for the boat. Very Happy What happens if you fill the boat while it's on a trailer? I guess the battery ground is all you have.
D.D.

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel-filler grounding on 22 Cruiser Reply with quote

Will-C wrote:
I'm now selling my damn boat too dangerous to put fuel in it.

It seems this thread has annoyed some readers. Let me just clarify my intent:

1) I have zero interest in telling anyone what they should do, or how they should set up their boat. To each their own.

2) Emurph came up with a question about grounding fuel system components, and the discussion was going on in a thread started for a different purpose, so I moved it to its own thread. I thought others might find it of interest (vs. Emurph and I discussing via PM).

3) If I had a planned trip tomorrow on my C-Dory and my fills were ungrounded would I still take the boat out? You bet I would. On the other hand, am I going to purposely reinstall the fills without grounding them? Probably not given what I have learned and how little effort it will take to ground them.

4) However, I don't expect that ungrounded fills are going to blow up very often, if ever; and I don't expect other people to set up their boats the way I do, or even change things based on this thread. I consciously did not suggest that another setup is "A dangerous accident just waiting to happen!!!" I dislike that sort of alarmist writing and the "you should do what I do or else" implications it carries.

Will-C wrote:
What happens if you fill the boat while it's on a trailer? I guess the battery ground is all you have.

I'm going to ground the fills to the negative bus as suggested, so that will be using the battery/ground.
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Fuel-filler grounding on 22 Cruiser Reply with quote

Sunbeam,
Just a little humor. Maybe your taking this too seriously. Sorry if I offended your reporting on what your doing. I meant no harm. Your projects are always on the forum, great info. If your suggestions were for someone in particular there is always a PM. But his thread was real interesting. Keep up the good work.
D.D.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: