View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob & Karen

City/Region: Franklin
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: Life of Riley
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Installing New Garmin Transducer Reply with quote

My Garmin 498 suddenly quit reading depth a couple weeks ago. I bought a new transducer to install. The transducer has a plug that plugs in near the chartplotter it the cabin. Installing it requires taking apart the wire bundle (many wire ties) on the starboard side of the boat. It would be much easier if I could just cut the wire for the existing transducer in the starboard lazarette and splice in the new transducer. Has anyone done this? Does anyone see any obvious problems with the idea? I am going to call Garmin tomorrow to ask them about it but I thought I would check here as well. Thanks.

Rob
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked into this because I discovered that my kicker mount had pinched through one of my transducer wires Cry The word from several folks (including some trusted pros) was that it never really seems to work, or at least not long term (even with expert soldering). The people who told me this were not the same people I was going to be buying a new transducer from, so no bias that I know of. I gather it has something to do with the solder changing the impedance of the wire. I think it's "worse" with things like radar, but still not desirable on a transducer.

Not that a person couldn't try it on a broken wire (nothing to lose), but I definitely wouldn't cut one on purpose, after looking into it.

I decided to order a new transducer - this time I got an all-in-one vs. the separate "block" and paddlewheel ones. So I'll be doing the "wire feed" as well.

Sunbeam
Matt Gurnsey
Dealer

City/Region: Port Orchard
State or Province: WA
Photos: Kitsap Marina
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it can be done, but as noted, it never seems to work quite right.

You might want to plug the transducer into the sounder and dangle it in the water to be sure it's a defective transducer before running the new wire in the boat.

360-895-2193
(888) 293-7991
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: