The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Fuel Filters\Separators

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbadmin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:15 pm    Post subject: Fuel Filters\Separators Reply with quote

There are several ways water and other contaminants can enter the fuel system on a boat. Because they will get into the system, an efficient method of removing the contaminants before they reach the motor is a must. As with any gasoline delivery system, the fewer components (valves, fittings, etc.) and the shorter the hoses, the lesser the likelihood of fuel system problems which at best can leave you stranded and at worst can result in catastrophe.

In this discussion, we will explore the types of filter units in use, and the ways of plumbing and locating them for the most efficient service.

I have a Racor (320RRAC01, 60 gph) fuel filter\separator on my boat. The head has two inlet ports (one is plugged) and one outlet port. The fuel from the tanks is drawn through a selector valve and fed from the filter to the main motor. Right now, the kicker motor gets its gas through a second selector valve tapped into the suction line from the starboard tank. The kicker's gas does not go through the filter. Can I get away with putting a tee at the filter outlet port to provide filtered fuel to both motors? This would eliminate the second selector valve, as well as some extra hose, and keep me from adding a second, smaller filter unit for the kicker. It would also solve the problem of forgetting to direct the fuel to the main motor when I switch tanks. However, it seems I heard somewhere that you shouldn't apply two draws to one line.

I carry a spare filter element, and drain the bowl at the first sign of water accumulation, so the chance of being stranded due to a plugged filter is slight. It wouldn't be a problem adding the second filter unit, but that would add some extra fittings and hose to the system. It would also leave me stuck with having to manually direct the fuel to the kicker when needed. Don't some filter units come with two outlets? Maybe I bought the wrong one.

Thanks,

Mike

My Racor unit (I don't remember the model) has 2 in and 2 out, fittings. It is in (fuel system pix)

Mike,

The Racor you got is a good unit but it does only have 3 ports; others have 4 (2 inlet/2 outlet). You can use a "T" in the outlet of your Racor; the "T" restricts flow by about 50% (30 gph) but with the fuel requirements of the BF90 and the kicker that won't be an issue at all ... even at wide open throttle.

Les

Mike,

Whether you go with a splitter, or get a filter with two outlets, you may have an issue with the main once both engines are plumbed to the filter.

I've read numerous reports of problems with fuel flow on the main, caused by air getting introduced from the suction that will exist on the kicker fuel line. The problem does not seem to exist while using the kicker - it doesn't seem to have enough fuel demand and/or suction to pull from the main's fuel line.

Regardless, should you encounter this, it is easy to address. One-way or manual valves can be installed on the kicker fuel line. Or even easier, just disconnect the fuel line from the kicker while using the main - the quick-connect valve will not allow air to pass back into the system.

Personally, I have not experienced this problem - my main is a Yamaha F80, with a Yamaha T8 kicker, and both are plumbed directly to the filter with no valves, and I keep them both connected all the time. I'm guessing this problem may be specific to certain kickers, perhaps Les can elaborate.

Bill

Bill I'm doing the same as you and never had a problem either.

I just started doing my own routine maintenance, and while changing the oil in the main and kicker, I noticed they both have inline fuel filters.

Since I've added an external Racor unit that both engines feed through, is there a consensus on whether the inline filters are still necessary?

Also, at what interval do those of you with the Racor units change your filters?

Thanks,

Bill

Bill -

I say leave the inlines in, and carry a spare. If the inline never sees any crud - great. If it does, that is that much less the engine fuel system sees. Besides, those things make the hoses come out to just the right length. I have a Racor, and I still replace the OEM filter yearly.

As for the Racor, I replace it yearly, too. Mine is a big one - 60 gph with the see-thru bowl. I have never had to do anything other than drain the bowl between element changes. I do, however, carry a spare. Some folks say to replace the element at 50 hours, others say 100 hours. The last two seasons, mine has gone 300 hours each year with nary a problem. The yearly replacement is just for drill.

Mike

I use the same filter and follow the same maintenance schedule as Mike with once a year change. Debated going with a three way setup when I installed the new kicker but had an unused fuel pickup available on the tank so installed a second filter unit and gave the kicker it's own feed.
Have to admit I don't change the inline filter very often, should not need to if the racor is doing it's job but it's cheap, easy and not a bad idea.
I've never have had more than a couple drops of water in the bowl and unless you ran into some bad gas you could run for a long time on the same filter. The boat filter is about the same size as the racor unit on my diesel PU. Recommended service by GM for the PU work out to be around every 2000 to 2500 gallons so once a year change is very conservative.

stevej
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: