View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgarr682

City/Region: Asheville
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Glenda Jean
Photos: Glenda Jean
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Smoke and carbon monoxide detector Reply with quote

After thoroughly enjoying the heat from my single burner Wallas yesterday while I was working on the boat it occurred to me that it would be wise to install a smoke detector and a carbon monoxide detector before overnighting in the boat. I was wondering what others have used in a marine environment that held up well. I would prefer something smallish and not having to wire them to the house battery but will if that is the only option. Any thoughts?
beermanPDX

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Photos: Jean Marie
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just replaced my CO detector two weeks ago since it was original to the boat. I did quite a bit of research on what to replace it with. The thread in the following link helped, specifically Dr. Bob's posts (thataway):

Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Rob
2008 25 Cruiser - Sold
2002 Nordic Tug 32/4 - Sold
1989 40 Tollycraft Sport Sedan
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, Thank you for the kind words
Currently I believe that the Kidde KN-COPP-B-LP 900-0230 Nighthawk Carbon Monoxide is still available. This has digital read out, and AA batteries both of which I like. I have not had smoke detectors, but probably not a bad idea. First Alert also makes comparable detectors.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspired by this and the other, previous thread (and by the fact that I don't currently have any CO detector(s), I decided to check on the models Thataway mentioned in the earlier (linked above) thread. I found two Kiddes on Amazon, one of which is the one mentioned by Thataway in the post just above mine, and which also shows up on Kidde's current model page:

It's the Kidde KN-COPP-B-LP 900-0230 Nighthawk Carbon Monoxide Alarm, battery operated with backlit digital display. It's $29.97 (I didn't comparison shop, as I'm just about to place an Amazon order for other things)

(Sorry, had to remove link and photo in order to get this to post - not sure why)

There is also a second one on Amazon, for slightly less, but I don't find it on Kidde's product page, so maybe it's an older model - or else I just didn't find it there. It looks less compact too, although I can't tell for sure. It is also battery powered, with digital display and backlight.

(Had to remove link but also on Amazon as Kidde KN-COPP-LPM)

I also looked up the CO Experts detector that was mentioned (the 1070, I think). From what I can tell that model has been superseded by the CO Experts 2014. It looks like it runs $189 (or a bit more if you buy directly from CO Experts). It runs on an irreplaceable LI battery that is supposed to last the 5-7 year lifespan of the detector.

(Had to remove link and photo but looks slightly smaller than Kidde model; can be found by Googling)

On the one hand, ow, expensive. Of course then you think "But surely my life is worth $189!" If I bought the Kidde I would get two (one for camper, one for boat); if I went for the CO Experts I guess I would put it on my list of things to move between the two, so that at least I would need one. I'm new to this, and although I appreciate good equipment, I'm not sure which way to go...?

Sunbeam Hot

Last edited by Sunbeam on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: