The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Sunbeam ~ C-Dory 22 Cruiser
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a couple of minor corrections, for the record (I did this project a year ago, so mis-remembered a couple of things). One is that the cutout patterns were, I believe, 1/4" ply, not 1/2". Two is that I didn't ream out and backfill the core on the hatch lids (I did do this on the berth flat portion of the opening though). On the hatch lids I basically just "painted" the edges with epoxy, then, IIRC, some thickened epoxy, after which I rounded them over a bit for pleasant handling and finished them off. After all, I may (or could) replace the lids with plywood or etc. later on.
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to say your hatch openings in the v-berth turned out amazing. The wood edges look really professional. If I ever finally do this project I'm coming back to this thread for guidance.

Thanks Sunbeam for continuing to document your projects so thoroughly, its really a wealth of information.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work as always. I keep wondering though, when you finally get the boat "just right", will you decide to move onto a different boat? You seem to really enjoy the projects (perhaps as much as using the boat), so if you run out of projects on your boat, maybe you can just hire yourself out to the rest of us. Wink
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, PaulNBriannaLynn. It's nice to know you find the write-up useful.

Roger: I don't think there's much danger of ever getting any boat "just right" Laughing OTOH, if there was a boat I could buy (that I liked and could afford) that didn't need anything, I wouldn't mind never picking up another sander, respirator, or batch of epoxy! Not that I hate boat projects, but I've had my fill over the years, and I'd rather be diving, kayaking, rowing, or sail/power boating. As it is I try to strike a balance, and I do like to keep (or make) a boat ship-shape and fit for my purposes. I wanted a bit more stowage and rather than get a bigger boat.... made some in the V-berth area.

Will I ever get a different boat? Probably, but that'd be because something else fit my mission better or called to me more strongly for some reason. (And no doubt that boat would need things as well.) Right now I'm happy with the C-Dory Thumbs Up
rogerbum

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
Thanks, PaulNBriannaLynn. It's nice to know you find the write-up useful.

Roger: I don't think there's much danger of ever getting any boat "just right" Laughing OTOH, if there was a boat I could buy (that I liked and could afford) that didn't need anything, I wouldn't mind never picking up another sander, respirator, or batch of epoxy! Not that I hate boat projects, but I've had my fill over the years, and I'd rather be diving, kayaking, rowing, or sail/power boating. As it is I try to strike a balance, and I do like to keep (or make) a boat ship-shape and fit for my purposes. I wanted a bit more stowage and rather than get a bigger boat.... made some in the V-berth area.

Will I ever get a different boat? Probably, but that'd be because something else fit my mission better or called to me more strongly for some reason. (And no doubt that boat would need things as well.) Right now I'm happy with the C-Dory Thumbs Up

So there's no chance that you'll come out here for the winter and work on my boat? Laughing Laughing Laughing
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well working along with someone else does make it a lot more fun. Would you teach me to fish? Mr. Green
rogerbum

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
Well working along with someone else does make it a lot more fun. Would you teach me to fish? Mr. Green

Sure - you appear to be eminently trainable. Laughing
Scott Fletcher

City/Region: Key Largo
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Buoy
Photos: C-Buoy
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Thanks Sunbeam Reply with quote

Thanks Sunbeam

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9mqpikgrZBJeWpNOENic1ZIZnM/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9mqpikgrZBJcV9jS2ROMTNVUlE/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9mqpikgrZBJMEU0UmtjOHVfS3M/view?usp=sharing

Sunbeam

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your rubrail job looks great! Thumbs Up

Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work on your boat,wish I had that much know how. Sure beats paying someone.
Pandion

Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four years ago Sunbeam wrote:
Ever since buying my 22, I've had it in mind that I wanted to cut hatches into the V-berth flat. There were a couple of reasons for this. One is that I just don't like an "inaccessible" area in a boat if I can help it. I like to be able to get to the hull to see things, clean, possibly effect a repair, etc. Two is that I could make use of the additional storage space (keeping in mind that weight in the ends is not advantageous, but I have a number of bulky, light-for-their-size things I could stow there).

For four years I have been looking at Sunbeam's wonderful illustrated essay (starting about 3/4 of the way down page 8 of this thread) on how to cut hatches in the V-berth, hack out the foam, and create an enormous amount of usable space. I will be taking my boat from the Seattle area to Glacier Bay and back (starting May 31) and as I began to pack for the trip I soon realized I had to have more room.

So, with lots and lots of encouragement and even more detailed instructions from Sunbeam, I started my own V-berth project, a few weeks ago.

It took about three full days of sawing, chiseling, hammering, cussing, sanding, vacuuming, and epoxying—but the effort was well worth it. And it really wasn't that hard. Here's what the finished V-berth hatches look like:

More pictures in my photo album, here.

Thanks Sunbeam for persuading me I could do this.

Andy Ryan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: