The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Sunbeam ~ C-Dory 22 Cruiser
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this isn't a P-trap like on a kitchen sink (if that's what you're thinking of), but rather a special trap (called a P-trap by Attwood) that is specifically designed by Attwood for a fuel vent. I think it functions more like a dorade vent, although I have not cut one apart to see exactly how it's set up. Let me see if they have a sketch on their site.

Oh right, there is a drawing on that dimensions chart I have in my album. You can see it below; it's sort of like a hard anti-siphon loop instead of a bulkier one made by hose.

Here is what they say about it:

FEATURES:
The Attwood water-resistant 90° fuel tank vent is designed for permanently-installed fuel systems and is intended for use with 5/8" vent hose. Hull thickness should be 9/16" maximum [added by me: or 1" maximum if using the flush-mounted vent]
The unique design helps to avoid ingestion of water into the fuel tank under normal sea conditions and washdown.
The design includes a series of baffles and traps to allow air to move freely while reducing the possibility of water splashing back into the tank.
Eliminates the need for an anti-siphon loop in the vent hose and allows a more direct routing of the hose to the fuel tank requiring less hose for installation.
Meets ABYC H-24 ventilation specifications.
ferret30

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Lily Pad
Photos: Lily Pad
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have looked more carefully at the picture. It's like an upside down p-trap!
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferret30 wrote:
I should have looked more carefully at the picture. It's like an upside down p-trap!

Maybe they should have called it a "b-trap" Mr. Green
Grazer

City/Region: Yukon
State or Province: YT
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: C-Horse
Photos: Grazer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:

Sunbeam Hot

Sunbeam,
Next to your backing for the vent is a bus bar terminal, which appears to be attached with weldmount (Good idea). I am doing some electrical upgrades and want to clean up all the extraneous wires going to the battery. Would I wire in a buss and have the electronics go to that rather than the battery? What gauge wire do you use from the battery to the buss? What is the amp rating and make/model of the buss?

Also, I am curious how your transom drain plug is coming along. I am thinking of doing the same as your splashwell drain using the fiberglass tubing. Keep up the great work. Smile
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Grazer,

Grazer wrote:
Next to your backing for the vent is a bus bar terminal, which appears to be attached with weldmount (Good idea).

The Weld Mounts have been working out splendidly - I really like them (plus other shapes too, like footman loops, etc.).

Grazer wrote:
I am doing some electrical upgrades and want to clean up all the extraneous wires going to the battery. Would I wire in a buss and have the electronics go to that rather than the battery? What gauge wire do you use from the battery to the buss? What is the amp rating and make/model of the buss?

Let me just start by saying that I'm not any kind of electrical guru, and I had some consultation on my system from a former C-Dory dealer (Les at EQ marine). Although I did want to understand the system - and I did have some specific requests (battery monitor, plus I didn't want anything but the batteries mounted to the bottom of the locker - I wanted all the components on the "walls"), I'm still not very "expert" on it (why I consulted with someone who was!). But I'll explain what I have to the best of my ability along with some notes.

1) The boat came to me with two flooded-cell Group 24 batteries, and the typical 1-2-Both switch - all in the starboard lazarette. The batteries were old, and I wanted to change things a bit, and add a battery monitor, and so....

I removed the old batteries and their trays - the trays were fastened into core (the locker bottom), so I overdrilled all the holes and filled them with thickened epoxy. (Then I planned where the new batteries would go and I made new hold-down choices, but I'll cover that in a later post with photos.)

2) Batteries
I wanted to go with flooded cell again, but it seemed like the best arrangement of things in the lazarette meant it would be hard to check/add water, so I ultimately went with AGM's. I decided to go with a dedicated start bank (one battery), and a dedicated house bank (one battery). For the house I went with the largest (amp hours) battery that my alternator could reasonably re-charge (the limiting factor), and that turned out to be a Group 31 battery (basically the same physical size as a Group 27, but more amp hours).

I decided to try a smaller battery for the engine start, but there is room for a Group 24 if that doesn't work out. I forget what I have in there now (will have to look) but maybe it's a Group U-1? I went with the one that had the most CCA, and was close to what Yamaha calls for (although not quite as many CCA, hence planning space for a larger battery if it turns out I want to change).

3) Switch
I went with a Blue Sea Mini switch of the type that has Off-On-Combine, along with a Blue Sea ACR (automatic charging relay). With this setup, basically I just turn it to "On" when I want to use the boat, and "Off" when I want it off, and the ACR will always charge the start battery first/until it's topped up, and will then start to charge the house battery. So no need to choose a bank or change the switch while underway. The combine function is not normally used, but is there if needed.

Switch is Blue Sea 6011:

ACR is Blue Sea 7610

By the way, you'll notice (I did) that Blue Sea has a system called "Add-a-Battery" that already has a similar switch and ACR bundled together. The reason I didn't go with that is because it's bundled with the "large" switch and I wanted the Mini switch, so I bought them separately. I see that Blue Sea has a new "Add-a-Battery" mini coming out in Spring 2013 that has the Mini switch and a Mini ACR. The Mini ACR is rated for 65 amps whereas the "regular" one (I have) is rated to 120 amps, IIRC. Probably the Mini one would work fine, but I don't think it was available last summer when I bought my components. The new Mini Add-a-Battery (Mini switch plus Mini ACR) will be Blue Sea #7649

4) Bus Bar, etc.
Instead of a positive bus bar there is a Blue Sea Safety Hub. It's got built in fuses and etc. (not totally clear on how this choice would compare to a positive bus bar). On the negative side everything goes to the shunt for the battery monitor and from there to the negative bus bar that you saw in the photo above.

SafetyHub 100 is Blue Sea #7725

Bus bar is Blue Sea 2300 (I think - I'll double check this one)

Battery monitor is Victron BMV600S (I've had a similar-function battery monitor on a previous boat and like the detailed info it gives).

The above gauge goes in the cabin (or wherever you want it), but the shunt is the part that goes in the electrical/lazarette. It's the size of a small candy bar and has two lugs for in/out plus a Cat 5 type cable and one other power wire.

[Edited to add: Oh, I see you asked about wire gauge. I want to say the "big" wires are around a #6, but I'll have to look and see. Perhaps I can post a few photos of the lazarette so you can see it all together.]

Grazer wrote:
Also, I am curious how your transom drain plug is coming along. I am thinking of doing the same as your splashwell drain using the fiberglass tubing. Keep up the great work. Smile

Thanks for the encouragement Thumbs Up. The transom drain is all done except for re-gelcoating the sump and actually fastening in the drain. I had this idea I would wait until it was done and then post about it, but it's a rainy/windy day so maybe I'll just write up what I have so far and post it later today. I'm really happy with how it came out.

Sunbeam Hot
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few photos of my 22's starboard lazarette, which is where the batteries, switches, etc. live. These were taken during the installation, so everything is not completely done (labeled, secured, etc.), but it gives the basic idea. I didn't want components or wires on the locker bottom.

Safety hub and ACR on the inboard (splashwell) side of the locker). The blue blur on the right is the house battery.

Battery switch and negative bus on the outboard side - the shunt is just out of view to the right.

Battery-monitor shunt further aft on the outboard side - not completely wired yet. The grey Cat 5 type cable is what goes up into the cabin and then just clicks into the gauge face unit. It will be secured to the underside of the deck (after photo taken).

I used Weld Mount studs to mount all of the components. Some things don't lend themselves well to the studs, so for those things I mounted Starboard™ panels with the Weld Mounts and then fastened the items to the panels.

Around the edges are glimpses of why I always end up with fourteen projects going at once Crook I see things I want to upgrade, and it "makes sense" to do them at a particular time ("while you're in there), which is always the same time as the original upgrade. (e.g. new lazarette hatches, cut back core around edges and fill with thickened epoxy, make openings slightly smaller for better fit of new hatches, add backing plates to stern cleats, replace bilge pump through hull, etc. etc.)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not go with all batteries the same size? This is certainly advisable from a charging stand point, since you put the ACR between the smaller starting battery and the house battery. Also put in as large a house battery as you want. The alternator output should not be limit on the size of the battery. There are good battery chargers (which I believe you are putting in) which work on 110 Volts, and will top off the batteries--which the alternator probably will not when cruising.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Why not go with all batteries the same size? This is certainly advisable from a charging stand point, since you put the ACR between the smaller starting battery and the house battery. Also put in as large a house battery as you want. The alternator output should not be limit on the size of the battery. There are good battery chargers (which I believe you are putting in) which work on 110 Volts, and will top off the batteries--which the alternator probably will not when cruising.

Hmm, well I will have to ask the person I consulted with on the design of the system for some of the answers, but I will try to answer what I can for now:

1) Batteries not same size.
I wanted a large battery for the house, but didn't need a battery that large for the engine start. I'm used to something similar on a sailboat, where the engine start bank is small and the house bank as large is is practical, so it seemed "normal" to me. And from what I understood this was not a problem due to how the ACR works. I will double check on this and report back. Did you see something in the wiring photos that looks wrong?

2) House battery size.
I was cautioned against putting in a larger house battery (in fact this was slightly over the recommended number of amp hours already) because, if I have this right, you have to not size it too much larger than the engine alternator can re-charge on a reasonable day. I suppose this relates back to something I do understand from sailing days, which is that it's not good for the battery to consistently not get charged all the way up between uses. There may be more to it, or I may be completely off and misunderstood. I'll find out.

3) Charger
I don't have a charger. At least in the past, I have not tended to spend much time in marinas (I like to anchor out). That said, I'm not against a charger (and my use pattern may change with the C-Dory), and I did consider one, but just decided to leave it out for now as I have/had other "upgrade fish to fry." If I do put in a charger at some point in time, I'm not sure I would want to have to count on it to be available to bring my house bank up to charge, since I don't know how often I'll have any place to plug it in. So I wanted to keep the house bank sized to the charging methods I have available on the hook (and for now that's the engine alternator(s) only).

As I mentioned above, this is not my "best" area in terms of being supremely confident I know what I'm doing (to put it mildly!). So there may be some flaw in my thinking above and/or I may have misunderstood the advice I got. Thanks for asking because maybe there is something I can/should improve.

Sunbeam Hot
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do want to get a charger, or at least subject the batteries to a good charger on occasion, since you will charge to about 80 to 85% with the alternator on the engine. The battery really likes to be 100% Charged. Even with my long distance cruising boats, I had big battery chargers, which I used to top off the batteries with the 120V generator regularly.

It is best if both batteries are the same size; engine vs house. The if the engine is a U !, then it is marginally sized for your outboard, and will be over charged as you charge the larger house battery.

With the house, you need to bring it up to 100% charge--and the alternator will just to do that during normal cruising. If you have a 16 amp alternator output, and a cruising day is 4 hours, that means that you can put out about 12 amps or less, since you have the amount of power used by the engine electrical, plus the electronics you are using. (another 4 amps per hour?)--so maybe 8 amps available. Thus you would have 32 amp hours available--and if you never discharge more than 50% (12.2 volts)--you would only have a 64 amp hour battery.

Best to go with a 100 or 120 amp hour battery, and use solar to keep it topped off. You may not stay in marinas, but you do camp, and have the boat at places where you can plug into mains power and top off the battery., to prolong its life. If you operate a 110 amp hour battery at the top 30 amp hours it will last a longtime, with only about 30 % discharge. If you operate a 60 amp hour battery at 30 amp hours cycle, then you will be 50% discharging it each day. When you start out you will have a fully charged battery, and more power available. Small solar panels are cheap and will allow to keep the battery topped off.

If you don't want to buy a built i charger, then buy one of the West Marine portable 30 amp units. They will charge at either 2 or 5 amps, 30 amps or boost at 75 amps. They are a very good 3 stage charger and will work from 30 to 300 amp hour battery. This is what I used on the 120 amp hour AGM battery I used specifically for the freezer this summer on the C Dory 22.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, goodie, a battery charging discussion. OK, here's a couple of thoughts on battery charging.

First, why not have different size battery banks, as long as they're both the same kind (deep discharge lead-acid, for example)? Journey On has a group 30 starting/backup battery and a bank of 2 ea golf cart batteries, about as disparate as you can get.

When the engine alternator is running, and the battery switch is set to both, the input voltage is the same for both batteries. The lower-state-of-charge battery will get the most current, because it's internal impedance will be lower, since it's discharged more. As that battery state-of-charge increases and the terminal voltage rises, the other battery will get a larger share of the available charge current, until both are at the same fully charged voltage. At that time they start to gas, so check water levels often.

All the ACR does is provide isolation to the starting battery until the alternator voltage increases to 13.0 volts for 90 sec. That's the same as my turning the manual switch to both after the engine starts. Battery size differential doesn't matter.

In my sailing days, I too worried about charging the batteries fully, because I didn't run the engine enough. I installed a 200 amp alternator and then found that the battery current (which is what charges the batteries,) tapered off rapidly, so the batteries were never fully charged before I shut down the engine. All I needed was a 50 amp alternator that I could run for a long time. And now that I have a powerboat, that's what I have.

Even when we've spent the night anchored out (and the refrigerator running) the voltmeter climbs to 14 VDC quickly after I start the outboard, and if we're going over a couple of hours, I've seen the voltage climb to ~14.5 VDC. What I really want is a voltage controller for the Honda outboard, and they do sell them. I don't NEED one though.

If you're anchored for a couple of days a small gas generator running through a battery charger is the best way I've found to keep the batteries charged. That saves the outboard and lets you run the generator a longer time. I've used solar panels both at home and on a boat. My feeling is that on a boat, they don't do the job because you can't point them well enough. So why have both a generator and solar panels?

So, in summary, what Sunbeam has done will work well. If he can keep the batteries charged with the outboard, he's home free. Oops, nothing on a boat is free.

One suggestion is to install a cheap voltmeter that reads the battery voltage with a switch so he can monitor both banks. He can see what the state of charge of each bank is when the motor isn't running, and he can tell if both banks are charged. He may already have one, and he may already use it. Then he needs to do nothing more.

Boris

PS this is what happens when you have too much time on your hands. Just waiting for some caulking to dry.

Last edited by journey on on Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
You do want to get a charger, or at least subject the batteries to a good charger on occasion, since you will charge to about 80 to 85% with the alternator on the engine. The battery really likes to be 100% Charged.

Okay, I didn't realize that the engine alternator could never charge the battery up to 100%. Understood that they don't like to be chronically undercharged.

thataway wrote:
It is best if both batteries are the same size; engine vs house. The if the engine is a U !, then it is marginally sized for your outboard, and will be over charged as you charge the larger house battery.

This I don't completely understand. Because, going back to sailboats, we had a single Group 24 start battery and then a house bank of around 400 amp hours (four batteries). So they were obviously completely lopsided, but I believe this was considered to be a sound system (?).

Okay, I think maybe I did make a mistake with the starting battery. Yamaha calls for 380 cranking amps available at 0º F, and my starting U-1 has... only 190 CCA @ 0ºF. I did run this by someone with a lot of experience, and I thought this was going to be okay (I thought it had like low 300's CCA), but it does now strike me as being inadequate. I will re-check with my electrical consultant, just to make sure there isn't something about it I'm missing; but perhaps I should move up to a larger start battery. If there is a chance it will work, then I'll keep it and check it out during my shakedown cruises (where I won't be anyplace super remote),but if not I'll go straight to a larger battery. No reason to mess around with something that's not going to work properly.

As far as the start battery being overcharged, I'm starting to feel like there is something I completely misunderstood about the whole system. I do get that each bank, if made up of multiple batteries, should have batteries of the same size, type, and age. But I didn't know that the start and house bank had to be the same size. I thought the ACR allowed the start battery to completely charge and then moved on to the house battery (?)

thataway wrote:
With the house, you need to bring it up to 100% charge--and the alternator will just to do that during normal cruising.

Ah okay, good, this is what I thought it would do, because I do know it's important. But in the beginning you mentioned it would only go to 80-85% (?)

thataway wrote:
If you have a 16 amp alternator output...

I have a 20-amp alternator, and since the engine is carbed, I think most of that is available to me? Still not huge, but slightly better than 16 amps.

thataway wrote:
... and a cruising day is 4 hours, that means that you can put out about 12 amps or less, since you have the amount of power used by the engine electrical, plus the electronics you are using. (another 4 amps per hour?)--so maybe 8 amps available. Thus you would have 32 amp hours available--and if you never discharge more than 50% (12.2 volts)--you would only have a 64 amp hour battery.

I'm getting confused here (because I think previously you asked why I didn't get a larger house battery/bank; and here I think you are saying even what I have might not get charged adequately (?)

So back to how I was thinking when I chose it: This is why I stuck with a ~100 amp hour battery and did not go larger. Because I figured okay, I use the battery to 50% discharge, so that's 50 amps to put back in. My engine has a 20 amp alternator, and I'm not sure how much the engine itself uses, but let's say I have 15 amps coming in, then just over 3 hours of motoring would give me my 50 amps back. Three hours of motoring didn't sound excessive. Was this not sound?

thataway wrote:
Best to go with a 100 or 120 amp hour battery, and use solar to keep it topped off.

Okay, so I do have a ~100 amp hour house battery. No solar yet, but I figured I would probably add some because I have liked it in the past as a charging method. But I wanted to wait to see what I would use for a dinghy (on roof, but a kayak or a larger one?), and where I would tend to put things elsewhere on the boat, so that I knew where I would put a panel and thus what size/shape would fit. I also kept in mind that there is the option of a Honda EU1000, although I'm less enthusiastic about that in principle. But a lot depends on how I end up using/cruising the boat.

I have to admit I'm a bit confused here now. I thought my plan was sound, and that I would be able to run without going below 50% of my house battery amp hours, and then put them back with the engine alternator (for now), and maybe other methods (later once I have more experience with the boat). I also thought the ACR could handle the start and house bank not being the same size. But have I gone wrong somewhere?

Lastly, I do realize the U-1 may be marginal (although it's a beefy U-1, so the specs are pretty good and it seemed like it had a pretty good chance of being fine), but if so, I'll change it.

I do appreciate your input. First of all, I"m no electrical guru; and second of all, the experience I do have is on a completely different type of boat with a different usage pattern.

Sunbeam
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris,

Thanks for your input. I understand what you're saying about solar panels vs. generator. As much as I'm "not into" generators, it's a fact they do run and charge anytime you have gas (whether it be cloudy, windstill, whatever), and after all I've kind of thrown in the towel already with that big outboard on the transom Wink But... I think I'll have to see how it goes first and at least try it without. One good thing is that I'm used to being stingy with the amp hours used, so between that and the "new world" of LED lighting I may be okay. Only one way to find out... use the boat Very Happy

journey on wrote:

One suggestion is to install a cheap voltmeter that reads the battery voltage with a switch.

Well, I don't have that, but I do have a battery monitor (Victron BMV-600S). I purposely got the one that only reads one bank though (the 602S will read two banks), as I figured I would only need to keep close track of the house bank. The start bank should be charged first, so unless something goes really awry it should be in good shape any time my house bank reads in good shape (I believe, but heck, now I'm second-guessing myself). Too, if the house bank is in good shape, I could use the combine function if I needed to to start the engine. Also, I have a Honda 8 that has a pull start (if needed) and an alternator, so that's another possibility in a pinch.

journey on wrote:
PS this is what happens when you have too much time on your hands. Just waiting for some caulking to dry.

I know how that goes. Well plus it's just fun to talk boats, isn't it? Thumbs Up

Sunbeam
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that Victron BMV-600S is a voltmeter (plus more,) so one could put a switch in there between batteries. If you only checked the other battery for a few seconds, it wouldn't screw up the integration of the amps. Note: this is just an idle comment, not a recommendation for additional work.

I have a 40 amp battery charger in Journey on, stolen from the sailboat we sold. It has a series of lights on the front panel indicating how many amps are going into the batteries. 40-20-10-5-standby, you get one light at a time. Remember, there's some good sized batteries in there. I've never seen the 40 amp light on in Journey On (euphonious, huh?,) the 20 amp comes on at the start of charge, quickly drops to 10 (say 10 min,) stays there for a half hour and then goes to 5 amps. Now the 5 amp light stays on for a long time, but that's the taper charge on a lead acid battery. So 15-20 amps out of that Honda is about all that you can use to charge the batteries. It might take you longer to reach the 10 amp mark, but do you care?

Absolutely right, try it. If the motor doesn't start because of a dead battery, blame Dr. Bob.

Boris

PS Got the dishwasher loaded and going. Judy's out of town this week, not much to do.
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
[quote="thataway"]You do want to get a charger, or at least subject the batteries to a good charger on occasion, since you will charge to about 80 to 85% with the alternator on the engine. The battery really likes to be 100% Charged.

Okay, I didn't realize that the engine alternator could never charge the battery up to 100%. Understood that they don't like to be chronically undercharged.

thataway wrote:

This I don't completely understand. Because, going back to sailboats, we had a single Group 24 start battery and then a house bank of around 400 amp hours (four batteries). So they were obviously completely lopsided, but I believe this was considered to be a sound system (?).

A sound system only if you manually switched the charging from the engine starting bank to the house bank--leaving the engine start out of the equation.

Okay, I think maybe I did make a mistake with the starting battery. Yamaha calls for 380 cranking amps available at 0º F, and my starting U-1 has... only 190 CCA @ 0ºF. I did run this by someone with a lot of experience, and I thought this was going to be okay (I thought it had like low 300's CCA), but it does now strike me as being inadequate. I will re-check with my electrical consultant, just to make sure there isn't something about it I'm missing; but perhaps I should move up to a larger start battery. If there is a chance it will work, then I'll keep it and check it out during my shakedown cruises (where I won't be anyplace super remote),but if not I'll go straight to a larger battery. No reason to mess around with something that's not going to work properly.

By your admitted numbers the battery is 50% undersized--you should have it oversized.

As far as the start battery being overcharged, I'm starting to feel like there is something I completely misunderstood about the whole system. I do get that each bank, if made up of multiple batteries, should have batteries of the same size, type, and age. But I didn't know that the start and house bank had to be the same size. I thought the ACR allowed the start battery to completely charge and then moved on to the house battery (?)

The ARC continues to charge the engine start battery, at the voltage indicated, but then most of the current flows to the house bank. The ARC does NOT disconnect the engine start when it closes the relay to charge the house, overcharging the small engine start battery

thataway wrote:
With the house, you need to bring it up to 100% charge--and the alternator will just to do that during normal cruising.

I mad a typo there it should have read "The alternator will just NOT do that during normal cruising--see my earlier statement which is correct. (Comes from 9/10 pain scale from the back/related to fishing that AM)

Ah okay, good, this is what I thought it would do, because I do know it's important. But in the beginning you mentioned it would only go to 80-85% (?)

thataway wrote:
If you have a 16 amp alternator output...

I have a 20-amp alternator, and since the engine is carbed, I think most of that is available to me? Still not huge, but slightly better than 16 amps.

thataway wrote:
... and a cruising day is 4 hours, that means that you can put out about 12 amps or less, since you have the amount of power used by the engine electrical, plus the electronics you are using. (another 4 amps per hour?)--so maybe 8 amps available. Thus you would have 32 amp hours available--and if you never discharge more than 50% (12.2 volts)--you would only have a 64 amp hour battery.

I'm getting confused here (because I think previously you asked why I didn't get a larger house battery/bank; and here I think you are saying even what I have might not get charged adequately (?)

You are working on the "top" half of the battery discharge cycle. That is what is important. It is best to precisely relate the amount of charge to the battery and amount of discharge. We used to do that with the old manual battery chargers, if you sat there and watched battery voltage and current flow. The "Smart" Charger does this for you. Outboards do not have "smart chargers--although better than in the past.

So back to how I was thinking when I chose it: This is why I stuck with a ~100 amp hour battery and did not go larger. Because I figured okay, I use the battery to 50% discharge, so that's 50 amps to put back in. My engine has a 20 amp alternator, and I'm not sure how much the engine itself uses, but let's say I have 15 amps coming in, then just over 3 hours of motoring would give me my 50 amps back. Three hours of motoring didn't sound excessive. Was this not sound?

Yes and no--first it does not really make a difference if you have a 100 or a 120 amp hour battery. Second, you have to put in more than you take out--there is a loss in the charging cycle (heat).

thataway wrote:
Best to go with a 100 or 120 amp hour battery, and use solar to keep it topped off.

Okay, so I do have a ~100 amp hour house battery. No solar yet, but I figured I would probably add some because I have liked it in the past as a charging method. But I wanted to wait to see what I would use for a dinghy (on roof, but a kayak or a larger one?), and where I would tend to put things elsewhere on the boat, so that I knew where I would put a panel and thus what size/shape would fit. I also kept in mind that there is the option of a Honda EU1000, although I'm less enthusiastic about that in principle. But a lot depends on how I end up using/cruising the boat.

There are many ways of securing a solar panel to a C Dory 22. Also there can be two 80 watt or one 160 watt (size just for comparison). You can put the panels on the r oof rails, on the flat, on the radar arch, on the bow rails.
or even on rails over the stern splash well, and can be moved to follow the sun.

The Honda gives a lot more options--for us it allows a 600 to 800 watt heater, a hot plate, a 5,000 BTU air conditioner, to run a 30 amp and 20 amp charger, plus the freezer et.

I have to admit I'm a bit confused here now. I thought my plan was sound, and that I would be able to run without going below 50% of my house battery amp hours, and then put them back with the engine alternator (for now), and maybe other methods (later once I have more experience with the boat). I also thought the ACR could handle the start and house bank not being the same size. But have I gone wrong somewhere?

As I noted before you will be running on the 40 to 80% battery capacity, rather than the 50 to 100% battery capacity. It will work, but not as well as if you top off the battery every few days,

In our cruising, we hit a marina every few days to get a good shower, obtain ice, dump the portipotty, get food, get water and run the battery charger to be sure that the battery is well topped off. When the freezer is aboard, we run the generator a couple to 3 hours a day, as you observed, last Sept. This is a good compromise.

Lastly, I do realize the U-1 may be marginal (although it's a beefy U-1, so the specs are pretty good and it seemed like it had a pretty good chance of being fine), but if so, I'll change it.

I use a u1 as a starting battery on my RIB (15 and 25 hp)--also used on lawn tractors--again smaller motors. Nice batteries but perhaps as a back up for electronics. The CCA is less than half you need for the motor and the RC is about 35

I do appreciate your input. First of all, I"m no electrical guru; and second of all, the experience I do have is on a completely different type of boat with a different usage pattern.

Actually sailboats have a similar usage pattern as do many C Dorys.
There are some very good articles about living off the grid, which might be a good place to learn about batteries and systems

Sunbeam[/quote]
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your input, Bob.

I won't re-quote everything as it is getting long, but just mention a few points.

First, I did re-check with the person who designed my system, mentioning the concerns. He was a bit busy to respond right away point-by-point, but will get back to me later. I asked about the U-1, since I had thought it was less undersized that it was (but I did know it was not completely "oversized") and he said it will either start the engine or it won't. In other words, it won't "secretly" damage the engine in any way. So I can try it. I have the house bank (which I can monitor), and the Honda (manual start + alternator) as backups, and I won't be starting out by going into "the wilderness." My guess is that I'll probably end up getting a larger battery, because I don't like marginal things.

I'm still not completely clear on the house bank size. Specifically why I'll be "working from 40-80% instead of 50% to 100%." I would have thought that if I kept an eye on the monitor, and adjusted my usage commensurately, that I could stay above 50%. I also thought I understood that if I chose not to add generators, etc. that I would be better off with this size battery vs. a larger one (believe me, I wanted to put 4 T-105's onboard Laughing

I'm used to being pretty parsimonious on long-distance cruising boats where we didn't have generators or even very large alternators (or the wonderful LED's). We didn't have super-sophisticated systems aboard, but we did successfully manage them. However...it's a learning curve for me with a small, outboard-powered cruiser, as I have never cruised in this type of boat before (hey, I left my 33# Bruce at home, give me credit! Wink). Obviously I'll need to get to fuel docks fairly often, so I'm not preparing for 2 months offshore or anything like that (ironically I'd probably do a better job of that). I was thinking that since many 22's seem really basic, that I, too, could get along fine with what I have until I had some experience in the boat, and then add chargers/generators/solar panels/etc. once I knew if I wanted them and where to place them (i.e. solar panel placement might change depending on whether I use a dinghy or a kayak, etc.). Maybe I missed something (?)

Now I'm thinking that, okay, the worst thing that can happen is that I end up having to replace the house battery sooner than I "should" have had to do. I didn't realize I was setting myself up for problems, but I can accept that there is a learning curve, and if that's the price to pay, I can live with it. I've been concentrating on making the boat "waterproof," so that combined with my relative lack of electrical knowledge led me to consulting with someone more experienced than me (in electrical matters and in small outboard cruisers) on the system.

On the ACR and the two different sized batteries (because even if I get a larger start battery, it's not going to be a Group 31), I guess I didn't understand that fully and will have to educate myself further. I thought it was "normal" in a "new-fashioned" system (i.e. using an ACR) to have two different sized batteries (same age and type though).

My experience is completely not with small, outboard-powered cruisers, and I guess it shows! That's why I consulted with someone else, and I will re-check with that person. Thanks for bringing up your concerns - I appreciate your experience and knowledge.

Sunbeam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: