thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Business Week a couple of issues back, there was an article about kerosene lights and an alternate energy replacement which was cheaper and safer in many 3rd world countries.

One product now coming to market involves a 1/2 lb counter weight, on a rope, which goes thru a pulley, and gears to move a micro generator to power a LED. The 1/2 lb weight moving 6 feet in half an hour gives light equal to or greater than kerosene lamp. This mechanism can be sold for about $5. A great sum in many economies, but in the long run will offset the cost of kerosene and much safer. Plus it is "human powered". There are many other applications--and the technology is very old, yet combined with very new innovations, so it can charge cell phones etc. It may also have applications in the US--such as back packers carrying the small mechanism, paracord, and then grabbing a rock for the counter weight to give light or charge their camera etc.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It may also have applications in the US...

We may all need one some day...

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

One product now coming to market involves a 1/2 lb counter weight, on a rope, which goes thru a pulley, and gears to move a micro generator to power a LED. The 1/2 lb weight moving 6 feet in half an hour gives light equal to or greater than kerosene lamp.

Now that sounds super interesting and useful Thumbs Up
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternative power for your boat:

We carried a solar-powered flashlight on our boats for over 15 years -- much better than kerosene light and easier to use and store than an LED relying on 1/2 pound weights. We still have the flashlight (it works perfectly) as a safety light in our bedroom.

Backpacking, we have a flashlight you 'hand crank' and it has a fine beam -- have had it about 20 years or so. Small, compact, and efficient.

Alternative energy sources of electricity have been around a long time. Now, powering an auto is something else...

El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried a solar anchor light? Wondered if the charge is enough to give a good light all night.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have used the bright sidewalk type of solar lamps for a number of years as an "anchor light" in regular anchorage areas. I don't think it would have the range required of an anchor light by the Coast Guard--2 nautical miles or about 13.8 Lumen.

My experience with the wind up flash lights has not been good. The seem to fail after a few months to a year or so.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concerning big oil, their integrity & a personal glimpse into it. To set the stage. I'm now retired, but while employed it was by a long list of varied employers with only three of those years working for government not including the Military. The remaining years consisted of working for very small companies to huge corporations as a labor, operator, supervisor & manager. During these years, I spent time supervising union & non union employees & about equal time working as a labor & equipment operator & a union & non union employee for different corporations in different industries. This included 19 years as a member of the United Mine Workers of America" local 1307 & 13 years as a supervisor in the Timber Industry. I worked the last three years in the timber industry as a Manager for Louisiana Pacific Corp of a large waferwood producing plant in Colorado. I resigned this position due to actual corporate corruption. The only way, I could manage the plant, so the bottom line was matching their request was to increase production to the point of going over the max pollution level set in the plant operating permit & monitored by the particulate monitoring devices. To do this, these devices would have to be by passed or adjusted to give false data. If the goals demanded of me as Manager were not met, then I knew, I would be replaced. The Manager, who took over from me, met the requested goals by having directed those involved with the monitoring devices to rig them for false data, with the end results being, Louisiana Pacific Corp was given the largest fine at that time ever by the EPA of over a 100 million dollars & the Managers in line from that plant to Corporate Head, lost their jobs including the chairman of the board with some suffering much more than just job loss. I ended up testifying against Louisiana Pacific Corporation in the Grand Jury phase of the trail, upon summons by the US Attorney in Denver. So yes, I do understand Corporate corruption & not just as a conspiracy theory. Overall though in my working career, I have found the smaller companies including single owner, partnerships or those small incorporated ones to be more inclined to bend or brake the law to advance their interest & the pay, benefits, safety & work conditions poor in comparison to the larger corporations. I worked the last 15 years as a Equipment Operator for the giant oil company Chevron & it was by far the GEM of my entire working career. Pay & benefits top notch compared to industry standards. A yearly bonus based on a combination of how well our operation & Corporate performed, that was payed to all from the top to the laborer & was substantial. A super safety program, that wasn't just talk. Any employee from management to labor was given the authority to have a operational area shut down until it could be reviewed at any time if they didn't think the proper safety procedures were being followed with zero recrimination if afterwards their concern was found to be in error. The management was honest & operational information at our work location involving cost & profit was made open to us union employees. And last but not least environmental concerns & practices were taken as serious as safety. This, I got first hand due to one of my sons being the operations environmental tech before taking the position of Geologist. Deer & antelope were in large numbers on the many square mile site & not rare to see a large variety of other wildlife including moose, elk, mountain lions & bob cats, due to no hunting allowed & a very strict conservation policy restoring the land to a better state than original.

The high cost of gas & diesel, have many down on the oil companies & they, being so huge in assets, that profits made are in the billions, though low in percentage of total investment for return in comparison to many other corporations are still a easy target of the media, politicians & many others. This vitriol doesn't extend to the state owned oil operations of Mexico, Venezuela & others including PetroChina the Chinese state owned oil company pumping more oil than any other country last year & buying up massive oil reserves the world over or with the Russian Oil Company this month thats being declared the present world's largest. I would think with the world competition & demand setting the price of this commodity & how many different plausible world events could stop the oil flow to us, which if restricted enough at the present time or in the foreseeable future may well collapse our entire system, creating chaos & anarchy, so yes, I feel it would be better to have an improved working relationship between big oil & our own government to more quickly gain energy independence or at least the government not be a roadblock to it. One thing for sure, China isn't hesitating to do all in its increasing power to keep the oil flowing to them & I have no doubt there is some real corruption involved in the process.

Jay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: