The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Who wants to learn tuna fishing and buddy boat?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
beermanPDX

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Photos: Jean Marie
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the excellent info Roger. Even though $280 for a rod/reel combo certainly isn't cheap, I was expecting much worse.

What else would you suggest for minimum fishing gear required for a trip like this? I may as well use the next few months to slowly acquire some equipment.

Rob
2008 25 Cruiser - Sold
2002 Nordic Tug 32/4 - Sold
1989 40 Tollycraft Sport Sedan
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For tuna -
1) You want a gaff - but you can land them by grabbing the leader with a gloved hand and tossing them into the boat (as an aside, it's amazing how well the works for salmon when your net has blown out of the boat).
2) The most productive lures I've tried so far are Rapala X-rap 20s in the purple and black pattern.
3) Some 130-150lb monofilament leaders plus the crimps and crimping tool.
4) Some high quality 65lb or better Sampo ball bearing swivels.
5) A collection of 4-6 tuna clones (for example these - http://eatmelures.com/shop/7-offshore-jet-heads). The green and or purple ones seem to work work.

Gene Morris

City/Region: Eureka CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Reef Madness
Photos: Reefmadness
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rapala's are a great lure for close to the boat. You will have to be careful when you troll or put them out, they are all over the place and will cause tangles if they get too close to other lines. Another staple is the cedar plug. My normal set up is two Rapala's close in at 25 and 35 ft ran from the transom. These lures need to be tuned and are very sensitive. If not tuned properly they will run wild and pop out of the water. My next set is two black/purple cedar plugs running about 75 to 150 ft on 7.5 ft rods off the sides. Then I put a fish trap on a good 20lb to 30lb rated salmon rod ran about 200 to 300 ft back in the middle of the pattern and place the rod in the rocket launcher. Putting this lure that far back doesn't require you to clear that rod when you stop on a troll fish. Just let the fish trap sink and sometimes it will get hit while fighting other fish. An important reminder is to have the clickers set on the reels. More than once we have come out of the pilot house and wondered why there wasn't any line on the fish trap rod,
that's embarrassing when you are the one that set that rod up. The fish trap way back is the only rig that I've caught Bluefin on but, it's great for albacore also.

I also have a collection of tuna clones and Zuker feather jigs. If the Rapala/plug pattern is not working well I'll switch with some jigs. The last few years the dark colors have worked the best. However, you need some zucchini, Mexican flag and dorado colored lures.

When all is said and done after you get your first tuna. You will find a way to spend thousands on all the new gear, and maybe even a bigger boat.

Gene

tokelandpete

City/Region: tacoma
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
my dory is way small for the event. I have spent much time on blue water and if anyone needs a capable deckhand that is what I am willing to share. Oh willing to chip in on fuel, etc. Good Luck on your adventure. If someone wants help halibut fishing the same offer stands.
Sincerely,
Peter
tokelandpete

City/Region: tacoma
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
How about we start with a halibut trip first. I have a 16ft c dory has anyone had luck say off posession pt or inside that my dory might be able to handle. If anyone needs a deckhand I am a pretty decent fisherman and would help share costs If going to more open waters.
Thanks,
Peter
Ranger

City/Region: Port orchard
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Tuna Reply with quote

Just came across this thread today. Did this Tuna gathering ever happen and is there a group that still goes out. I would like to go after one of these fish, I have never tried it. My boat is not set up for it but could be doable. I would not try it without a buddy boat and someone who knows what to do. I would really like to go out with someone else for the first time to show me the ways. I would be willing to pay my share for gas, gear, bait and all the other little things that go with it.
redbaronace

City/Region: Puget Sound
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: redbaronace (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger is this something you would consider doing this year.

We plan to fish Salmon From Neah Bay and Bottom fish from Canadian Swiftshure Bank this year.

But Tuna from Westport is also high on the want to do list.

If you were doing buddy boats with the brats, we would be interested.
knewlin

City/Region: Smiley Park
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Secret of Life
Photos: Secret of Life
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Albies Reply with quote

Here in So Cal. we have to run out 80 miles at times. I've always wanted to spend the night "embedded" in a kelp patty. We use 4-5 inch soft plastics in a sardine color rigged on a heavy head. We troll pretty fast 7 -9 mph and a big head keeps the bait in the water. The single hook allows the fish to be quickly unhooked. More time fishing , less time avoiding being hooked.
I wish we could get up there this year, but I doubt it.

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redbaronace wrote:
Roger is this something you would consider doing this year.

We plan to fish Salmon From Neah Bay and Bottom fish from Canadian Swiftshure Bank this year.

But Tuna from Westport is also high on the want to do list.

If you were doing buddy boats with the brats, we would be interested.

I will definitely be tuna fishing this year and I'd be happy if others want to buddy boat. With the changing climate, tuna are starting to show up earlier and earlier and many have already been caught this year about 30 miles off of Charleston OR. Given the satellite images I have been seeing, it wouldn't surprise me if people start picking them up off the WA coast this week or next.

My schedule is to have my boat at Neah Bay from June 24 - Aug 13 with fishing happening most weekends. On Aug. 13, we move it to Ilwaco and will fish from there for a full week and then weekends there after into late Sept/ Oct weather and fishing dependent. I've given up on Westport since the fuel dock isn't open on Sundays and after 5PM. That means if you run the tanks down on Sat. your options for fishing on Sunday are limited AND you have to get back down before 5PM on the following Friday if you want fuel for an early Sat AM departure. Mooring at Ilwaco is much easier in that regard.

Tuna fishing requires fairly good offshore conditions to do it safely and to really enjoy it so it's hard to schedule a tuna trip very far in advance. However, if there are flat seas on a weekend day and 61 degree water within reach, I'll likely be out on the hunt for tuna. If anyone is interested in buddy boating and sharing tuna intel, I'd be happy to help.
joechiro30

City/Region: Lynnwood
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:40 am    Post subject: Neah bay Reply with quote

I would love to join a tuna trip. We are doing a 4 day trip to Neah bay at swift sure bank for the king run and get some Canadian halibut. Would be great to buddy boat it with you then if you are fishing. We are planning to fish Thursday to Sunday. Let me know if anyone wants to join us. You would need a Canadian license bought at a vendor in bc not online.
joechiro30

City/Region: Lynnwood
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Neah bay Reply with quote

joechiro30 wrote:
I would love to join a tuna trip. We are doing a 4 day trip to Neah bay at swift sure bank for the king run and get some Canadian halibut. Would be great to buddy boat it with you then if you are fishing. We are planning to fish Thursday to Sunday. Let me know if anyone wants to join us. You would need a Canadian license bought at a vendor in bc not online.

July 14th to 17th
Ranger

City/Region: Port orchard
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Neah bay Reply with quote

This is defiantly something I would be interested in but, I would be in a 22. I have rods but don’t have the gear but can make that happen. I have only fished Neah Bay once and that was this year for halibut. I would like to figure out how to catch a salmon up there. Would I need down riggers ? Maybe we could meet up one of these weekends for some salmon fishing and talk Tuna. It’s about a 3.5 hour drive for me but if the salmon are there I will head on up for a few days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: