The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Who wants to learn tuna fishing and buddy boat?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amy and karl wrote:
Well, I've got the gear for one setup so that's good. Is a pattern nessesary or will a couple lines out due? I'll start reading some threads on bloody deck too.

Thanks.

I think the more lines you have out with lures in roughly the same general volume, the more likely you are to be successful. I've run as many as 7-8 lines with 4 being halibut like rods and the other ones being some of my more stout salmon rods. The fish average around 25lbs so super heavy gear isn't really needed (of course there is a rare much larger fish out there and that one might be lost). I've read a ton of material and there a many different schools of thought on how to run things. One school says have a lot of diversity out there, the other school says it's best to have everything identical to increase the likelihood of multiple hookups. In my limited experience (only 34 fish total), it appears to me that when you're in a good school of active fish, it doesn't much matter, these fish will hit anything. However, when you're searching for fish, I think what matters most if that there's a lot of gear for them to find.

Last year I ran 4-5 rapala's (they run under the water) and I'd run them so that alternate lines (from port to starboard) were out at 45/55/45'. I then ran the top water lures out around 70' again staggering the distances by 5-10'. The stagger keeps things from getting tangled during turns.

Gene Morris

City/Region: Eureka CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Reef Madness
Photos: Reefmadness
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now this is a topic that is close to my heart. We've been chasing tuna out of Northern Ca. and Southern Or. for years. When you catch tuna from your private boat it makes all other fishing seem very tame. The Oregon and Washington group participate in Ifish.com in the saltydog forum. There is great info and friendly members that are always looking for buddie boats to keep in contact with. Our Northern Ca. group also use Ifish but, our main site is the Humboldt Tuna Club. Below is a link to a small boat tuna fishing primer.

http://humboldttuna.com/smf/index.php?topic=147.0

There is also a forum on the HTC site callled HASA (Humboldt Area Saltwater Anglers). The news letters posted there give great info on tuna, salmon, weather .........etc. They are worth looking at.

Roger, we plan on going to BC and SE Ak this year and may come up to Westport for a trip or two I'll talk to you this summer re: that.

The warm water currents do usually come in closer in Oregon & Washington and sometimes as close as 15 to 20nm. Where the Nor Cal water is usually 30 to 70nm offshore. But when its there a lot of boats will be out there with you and we all look after each other and stay in contact at all times.

Roger call me to talk tuna and especially live bait fishing for them. That's the most fun that anyone could possibly have.

Gene Morris 707-834-4100

Gene Morris

City/Region: Eureka CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Reef Madness
Photos: Reefmadness
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want to visit the other sites I mentioned above. Below is the guide that has a lot of info.

Gene

ALBACORE GUIDE FOR PRIVATE BOATERS

Albacore Migrate from the West Pacific (Japan and Midway) to the East Pacific (U.S. West Coast) along the Japanese current. Then into and up the California Current. The furthest south they occur off our West Coast below Punta Bunda, Baja. They then travel north as far as British Columbia Canada. This migration is followed until Albacore reach maturity above seventy-five pounds and are ready to spawn. When they reach that size to go into another circular current south of Midway Island and spend the rest of their days in that current. That's the reason we never see any Albacore with roe. The fish in our migration are all immature fish. Mature Albacore will reach a size of one hundred and fifty pounds or more. In the last few years it has been found that Albacore over 40 lbs. will stay in an area if suitable water temps. and feed is there. Some fish stayed off the California Coast all year in 97 and 98. That was the reason we were catching Albacore from 70 to 90 pounds.

Albacore are one of the Tunas whose body temperature is warmer by several degrees than the water in which they swim. They must always be on the move because they haven't any swim bladder. If they stop moving they'll sink. The way they get a little rest is to swim up sharply from three-hundred feet or deeper to about one-hundred feet. Then they'll take a long downward glide back down to the depth they started from. We suspect this behavior may also have something to do with regulating their body temperature. The same way Yellow-fin and Big-eye tuna do. They will come to the surface to feed, but not for a long period of time. They have large eyes for feeding at depths of over a thousand feet. Their eyes don't have eye lids and are very sensitive to light.

Our off-shore commercial fleet, the Western Fish Boat Owners Association (WFBOA), starts fishing the fish in our migration the last of April or first of May. They start fishing around Latitudes 40.00 N. to 44.00 N. and between 160.00 W. Longitude and the International date line. That's north of Midway Island. As they move east towards our west coast they also move south. If they work inshore beyond the five-hundred fathom mark. They will usually be in or around our sea canyons.

The first Albacore off our California Coast. Usually show up at such places as the Cortez Bank, San Juan Seamount, in southern California around the forth of July. Then on the North side of Point Conception. They appear on places like the Davidson Seamount, the 455 Spot, 601 Spot, Guide Seamount, Pioneer and Gum Drop Seamounts right around the middle of July. However in the past eight years Albacore has been very scarce below Pt. Conception.

Typically Albacore south of Point Conception, are usually two year olds. Averaging eighteen pounds. Albacore north of the point, are three years and four year olds or older. They average twenty-five pounds and up. One year old fish, averaging eight pounds do however occur in both areas Albacore will be off our coast in some years as late as January, depending on Sea Surface temperatures.

Don't be put off by cooler water temperatures. Remember Albacore migrate at an average depth of between two hundred to three hundred feet or deeper. How cool do you think the water temperatures are down there? A good rule of thumb is July through October fish surface waters from fifty-eight and a half degree and up. After October fish in waters of fifty-five degree's and up. Later season fish tolerate cooler surface temperatures. Of course warmer is always better. When the surface gets cooler than fifty-five or warmer than sixty-eight, they leave.

Albacore generally surface on or around a temperature break, or up-welling. That's were cool deep water surfaces and hits warmer surface water. Causing a plankton bloom that attracts bait fish. These breaks can sometime be visually seen. They look like a long slick, kind of how it looks when a ship passes through an area (so always fish the warm edge of a temp. break). Remember Albacore like clear blue water, so blue that it's almost purple. However we always catch a few of what we call "green water hogs" in off color water. These are usually pretty large fish. We usually get them on the trip back home.

Another good place to check is around floating kelp patties. They usually hold bait fish that attracts predator fish. Feeding Porpoise and Whales are another place that deserves checking. If you have a good depth sounder you can read Albacore, if you don't, you ought to be able to read bait fish and squid, so check that area out. Long areas of floating kelp and debris usually means you are at the edge of the California Current. Try the outside edge. Look for diving birds, or even just birds in the area ( be sure to fish around setting birds they are sometimes setting on top of fish), in general look for signs of life. You don't want to spend your day fishing a dead area. Also keep in mind that about three days before, and about three days after a full moon the bite will usually be a late afternoon bite.

If you find fish, don't be afraid to put the information out on the radio. Most of the time more boats working the area properly, can mean more Tuna for everyone including you. When we had hundreds of commercial jig boats out there, Albacore schools were pretty easy to find. There are very few jig to boats anymore. So it's up us private boaters to keep each other informed. Albacore can move a long way in a few hours.

In June till the middle of September fish can be found by trolling feathered jigs at between six and a half to nine knots. Troll lines in a V pattern, the bottom of the V should be at the center of the boat and the shortest line. The first thing Albacore are attracted to is the bottom of your boat and the wake. They think the bottom of the boat is bait ball, and the wake is something feeding on that bait ball. So don't fish lines seventy-eleven miles back. A good starting rule is around the second wave behind the boat. Always keep lines and jigs clean of kelp, jelly fish and sea grass's. Another words check them often.

For boats that carry live bait any time you get a jig strike or see fish, try to chum them to the boat. Always chum so that the boat will drift over the chum not away from it. You can chum dead bait but be careful that you don't put so much bait in the water that they will follow the sinking bait down.

Use light colored jigs on bright days and dark jigs when conditions are darker. Good patterns are. Zucchini, Mexican flag, red and white, blue and white, green and white, green and yellow, purple, purple and black, and root beer. If I only had my choice of four. They would be, zucchini, Mexican flag, red and white, and purple and black. My favorite brand of Tuna jigs Sevenstrand jigs, because their colors and weights are better than other brands. Their Leaping Daisy is a real killer.

Rig some of your lines with daisy chains. That's three or four smaller feathers threaded up your line about a foot apart, and held there with a micro press, with a larger different color larger jig about eighteen inches behind them. The larger jig is the only one with a hook in it. You can use jig's of the same size, if you don't have small ones. Again try Sevenstrand Leaping Daisy.

Spreader bars really produce. You can troll nine to twelve hoochies. With a trailing feather with a hook in it, at the rear center of the rig. It looks like a whole school of bait, with a predator behind them. They are very hard to keep untangled, however. If you are weighing your boat lines, try a length of chain instead of a lead. The chain will make bubbles, which will attract fish. Trolling teasers such as Birds causes surface commotion that will bring fish up. Keep teasers ahead of the jigs.

Another tip for trolling is if you get a jig strike, and you don't have the live bait to chum. Try to keep going for at least a long ten count. You will have a good chance of hooking some more fish. When you wind the other rigs in after you stop wind them fast, sometimes that will result in another hook up. Mix some Fish trap 5" lures in your spread with weighted heads and when you get bit just let the Fish Traps drop and leave them drift and they will usually hook up.

It never hurts also to toss a hand full of bait, even chunked bait off the stern. Then while the people are fighting their fish, keep a light chum going in the direction of your drift. Another thing that works upon a jig strike is to cast back what's called, a drop-back rig, or a Fish Trap Lure. Free-spool it till the boat stops. Then retrieve it slowly, if a fish hits it throw reel in free spool let it swallow it then set the hook. A drop back rig is the same as a trolled bait rig, only with a two foot leader, The sinker should be chrome platted. A metal jig will also work, but you will have to retrieve it fast.

One more trick if you can read Albacore deep on your meter, circle over them. Pull all your lines on the side of the boat that are towards the inside of the circle. Chum the outside of the circle with frozen bait, long enough to let the first chummed baits sink to the depth they at. You want to chum enough to create a long spiral of bait down to the fish. Most time they will follow the spiral up and hit your jigs. That's an old northern jig boat trick.

Around the last of September these fish will switch over from feeding on squid, to feeding on bait fish, and will not readily take a feathered jig. You can tell when the switch comes you'll start seeing a large amount jumpers and surface feeding Albacore. Try trolling a Rapala CD-18 in the blue-white, green-white and Mackerel patterns. Cedar Plugs by Strike, in blue-white, green-yellow, or red-white patterns work well also. And again here Fish Trap Lures are deadly. A Sevenstrand Leaping Daisy will work well then to. Set lines in a V trolling pattern, as you did with the feathers.

Another technique that will work is trolling a bait fish four to six feet behind a two to four ounce torpedo sinker. Hook the bait fish up through the bottom lip and out the top lip or head. Troll very slowly, and fish in free spool. When the fish hits, let it swallow it before setting the hook ( the bait can be a dead bait). You want to be sure fish are in the area before you do this. You will not cover much ground, trolling baits. You have to troll a little slower than Salmon trolling speed. Baits can be dead baits. Fish Trap lures are red hot for this.

When Albacore are feeding on bait fish, they tend to school in tighter schools. If you see an area of jumping, or surface breezing fish. Try not to run over the top of them. Position the boat up drift from them and slide to within casting distance. Cast some metal Jigs at them. Like big Kastmasters, Crocodiles, Hopkins, UFOs, or my favorite, a large Miki Mouse. Let it sink for at least one hundred feet. Then wind as fast as you can. If you are going to troll fish them. One of the things that works best is a Fish Trap with a 1/2 to 1-1/2 oz. head, I prefer the Channel Island Anchovies color, they work very well trolled also. Troll around the outside edge, not through the middle. If you run through the middle of them you'll put them down.

If you don't find fish on a trip, don't give up try again maybe you zigged when you should have zagged. Check the Sea Surface Temperature charts, look for a different area. It's an awful big ocean and Albacore can move a good distance in one day. Remember they have no swim bladders so they must always keep moving, or they will sink.

Out-Riggers, I cannot stress strongly enough the value of these to the private boater. They will increase your lines spread and will increase your score by at least thirty percent. Make sure they are mounted properly. A private boat with out-riggers should be able to troll from seven to nine lines without tangles, along with a couple of short boat lines. One more thing DO NOT use last years' lines and leaders. Changing line will be the cheapest part of the success of your next blue water trip. Don't cheat on hooks or line Quality. And remember the old Albacore fishing law, keep your hooked fish in front of you, "NO ANGLES NO TANGLES"

There are other species of Tuna on our fishing grounds too. Blue-Fin Tuna, and they can get to over the two hundred pound mark. They like skipping jigs. Big-Eye Tuna that can get to over four hundred pounds in our area. You will not usually see Big-Eye unless it's right at dawn or and hour or so from sunset. They usually like a larger jig, but we take a few every year on Albacore jigs. A deep fished sliding dropper rig, with a live mackerel, large sardine or good sized squid will work, a fish trap will also work.

We also have Broad-bill Sword Fish, Thresher and Mako Sharks, ( use chum buckets to create a slick for the sharks) and an occasional Opah.

My wife, Diane has caught the largest one of these caught on rod and reel. The IGFA would not at that time (1972) recognize a Opah as a game fish. They said it was too rare. Her Opah weighed in at one hundred and twenty eight pounds. Caught seventy miles off Morro Bay on twenty-five pound tackle. I ended up with one eight pound Albacore that day. All the local newspapers and the Los Angles Times were on the dock, when we got in late that night, to interview and photograph her. I was just listed as "others" I can never win. Oh-well she's always telling me God is a woman.

Now lets talk Safety: 17 points that could save your life.

1 ALWAYS RUN WITH A RUNNING MATE (they can help you if you're in trouble)

2 HAVE A GOOD RADIO (no one can hear you if it's not working well)

3 A CELL PHONE (a good thing to have along for emergencies)

4 ALWAYS LEAVE SOMEONE YOUR TRIP PLAN (we will know where to start looking in case of trouble)

5 PAY ATTENTION TO THE WEATHER (if it even looks like its going to blow don't go)

6 CHECK WAVE SIZE AND FREQUENCY ANYTHING CLOSER THAN TWELVE SEC. COULD BE TROUBLE (most boater accidents are because of weather)

7 YOU SHOULD HAVE A GPS OR LORAN (so you can tell were you are)

8 PROPER FLOATATION GEAR (good sense, and it is the law)

9 TAKE PLENTY OF FUEL (there are no gas stations out there)

10 DRINKING WATER ( no drinking fountains either, you can go without food for a long time but not long without water)

11 CARRY PLENTY OF DISTRESS FLARES (they can be seen from a pretty good distance)

12 A SATELLITE DISTRESS LOCATION TRANSMITTER IS INVALUABLE. (The sea is so big and my boat's so small. It's an awful big ocean to find some one in)

13 A GOOD FIRST AID KIT (can be a life saver)

14 SPARE WARM CLOTHES (in case of a emergency overnight stay)

15 SPARE ENGINE BATTERY (I saw four boats last year have to be towed in due to battery problems)

16 OFF-SHORE CHARTS, COMPASS and PARALLEL RULE (good to have in case GPS fails)

17 ALWAYS CARRY A FIRE EXTINGUISHER

18 KNOW YOUR BOATS LIMITS AND DON'T EXCEED THEM

(the trip home is usually rougher than the trip out)
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reels Reply with quote

I have always used non-level wind reels for tuna and halibut. Whether or not it is true, I don't know, but I have heard stories of level winds blowing up when a big fish is on a run. I have a Shimano Calcutta (700?) and a Penn that I use on halibut rods. Sorry, but the reels are at the beach, so I can not give exact model numbers.
C-Dawg

City/Region: Spanaway
Photos: C-Dawg
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, I've wanted to go out after tuna for a couple of years now. I think given flat seas and the tuna in closer than 40 miles out, a 22 could probably make it on two full tanks. However, an extra 5 or 10 gallons would be smart.

My concern has always been the limited space of the cockpit on a 22 Cruiser. If I do take a couple of extra cans of fuel, where would I store them along with the bleed bucket, ice chest, ice, and kill bag while I'm fighting and landing albi after albi? I've seen boats after getting into fish, and it gets pretty crowded with fish and gear.

A 22 Angler would be better, but I still think even its cockpit is too small after considering all that's required. I suppose one could quit after catching X-number of fish, regardless of how good the catching is going. Then it's a matter of how many makes it worth it for the fuel, expenses, etc.

I'm sure there are simple solutions to the logistical problems I envision, so I'm open to ideas. I really, really want to give it a shot one day.

C-Dawg sold November 2018
redbaronace

City/Region: Puget Sound
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: redbaronace (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM Sent
rick Ross

City/Region: Shoshone
State or Province: ID
Vessel Name: Amigo II
Photos: Amigo II
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going after tuna and learning how to fish sounds like fun. I will keep this trip in mind for the end of July. I keep my boat(Tom Cat)in Anacortes, not far for me to trailer.
Rick Ross
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the stars were to align just right we may be interested. I have fished for Yellow Fin a lot in Mexico, and have fished out as far as 70 miles in the TomCat. We have never fished Albacore, but have the gear and lots of Tuna lures and feathers.

Rick, Good to hear from you again.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
rogerbum

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Reels Reply with quote

Wandering Sagebrush wrote:
I have always used non-level wind reels for tuna and halibut. Whether or not it is true, I don't know, but I have heard stories of level winds blowing up when a big fish is on a run. I have a Shimano Calcutta (700?) and a Penn that I use on halibut rods. Sorry, but the reels are at the beach, so I can not give exact model numbers.

For albacore, I don't think level winds are a huge issue - especially with a better made one (e.g. Shimano, etc). IMHO, a bigger concern than them "blowing up" is that one needs to be careful to keep ones fingers away from the front of the reel lest you get your fingers pinched in the level wind mechanism. I've used Penn GT320's, shimano tekota 500's and a shimano tekota 700. I think the latter is about perfect for tuna while the 500's are a little under sized.
Jake B

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: PLUS 3
Photos: PLUS 3
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like fun and if on a weekend should be able to make it. we tend to go out of la push though when we go. this will be the firs year taking the dory out. and I have the 18 gal tanks and will be putting an extra 15 or so gallons on board as well.

the 22' cruiser is not an Ideal tuna boat but it is doable. for la push there is no live bait so there is no need for a bait tank( although I am still looking for ideas on this). so for me westport is out. even with a bait tank there just isn't enough storage capacity to justify a trip there. I will crew up with buddies for those trips.

storage is tuff but I turned my port hatch into a kill station last year for bleeding and it dumps into the splashwell. for ice I will use coolers up in the cuddy. and poss a big garbage can(used that on a buddies boat last year and worked good).

rod holders take care of most gear. I Run 4 rods and 4 hand lines(2 hand lines on planers and two top water) just have to make wide turns. and it helps to have a crew that knows the game to make the most out of the small cockpit.
post bleed kill bags are about the only way I will want to go they can be stored just about anywhere and keep things cold for a good time. if fishing gets hot you can de head the tuna. in the end I figure I will be stuffed with 20 or so. but given no live bait I would be happy with that. we averaged 12-15 a trip last year with my wifes uncle killing it one day with 50 on the troll.
last year was my first year really "going" for these fish. and we had a great season and it will ruin salmon for you.

that being said the idea of a meet is cool but you are talking about taking a big group of potential "first" timers out 30-50 nm offshore and I don't know if i would want to take on that.

and a final note to those that make it out. I would take all pads out of boat that are not being used and do your best to keep the blood out of the cabin. these fish bleed a ton and the blood does not come out of clothes ect. and stinks to high heaven.
rogerbum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake,

Lots of stuff we agree on. Tuna fishing will ruin you on salmon fishing (or at least make you want to do tuna fishing more than salmon). A 22 is a bit marginal for tuna fishing mostly due to the limited fuel capacity. To get 20 tuna on a 22 would probably require cutting the heads off and one would be pushing the load limits with the amount of ice necessary to keep them appropriately chilled.

As for taking "newbies" way offshore, everyone's a newbie sometime ad it's much safer to have a buddy boat (or two or more) than to be a newbie all on your own (which is how I did it). Again the key is to pick a very good weather window (in the middle of 2-3 days of calm water).
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a c-brat with a 22 angler that was fishing tuna out of Oregon a few years ago. Him, two friends, a large fish tote and 35 tuna coming back from 40 miles out at 16 knots. if I remember he was about 240 lbs and the others where as big. You can do it in a 22 but you have to watch and pick the weather. I would be interested in going maybe from west port. Easier to get to from my place. No ferry ride. When your over 40 ft of boat and trailer plus a long bed truck it can cost a lot to take the ferry.
Jake B

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: PLUS 3
Photos: PLUS 3
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds good roger the bigger kill bags hold 15 tuna with ice in them before de heading. 2 of those packed with ice and a few nice coolers with ice and your good to go. as for fuel capacity spare fuel tanks will be on board till I dial in the fuel burn and even then I have a feeling 2-18 gal tanks will do the trick(on one day outings) but I feel better having the extra. a 22' boat will be the biggest boat we have taken out to date. last year we went in either my wifes uncle 20' trophy or my buddies 19' arima and they both handled the job fine. (we try to keep it at or below 7' combined). I agree with the buddy boat as well we typically are paired up as well. and it does deff. help for finding the schools. hope to see you out there this year CoolSmile
I remember reading your post both here and other fishing forums of your overnighter and both me and my buddies thought that would be a killer trip to throw together. Thumbs Up
beermanPDX

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Photos: Jean Marie
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be very interested in this type of trip. I'm planning on taking my boat up to the Port Ludlow area that time of year anyway. What's another ~100 miles to Neah Bay? I would love to get my boat offshore.

I've fished for most of my life, but it's all been on the East Coast / Mid-West. I've only lived on the West Coast for a few years so I know absolutely nothing about salmon / tuna fishing, but would love to learn more.

This is probably a stupid question, but is it possible to get a rod/reel combo that would work for salmon as well as tuna? Given that there are quite a few less tuna in the Portland area, the first rod(s) I buy should probably be geared more toward salmon. But if I could get something that could handle both, that would be great.

Rob
2008 25 Cruiser - Sold
2002 Nordic Tug 32/4 - Sold
1989 40 Tollycraft Sport Sedan
rogerbum

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beermanPDX wrote:
<stuff clipped>
This is probably a stupid question, but is it possible to get a rod/reel combo that would work for salmon as well as tuna? Given that there are quite a few less tuna in the Portland area, the first rod(s) I buy should probably be geared more toward salmon. But if I could get something that could handle both, that would be great.

Rob,

I've certainly caught some fraction of my albacore on salmon rods so it can be done. However, I think it's better to buy one rod for halibut/albacore and a separate rod for salmon. You can move the reel between the two. Neither the salmon nor the tuna rod need be that expensive - about $100/rod will do the job. If I were to buy one rod that fits the bill for both, I'd go with a medium heavy Okuma rod like an SST 1062MH. This is a 10.5' rod that has a lot of backbone so it holds up to tuna and enough flexibility to be used as a downrigger rod for salmon. I'd buy a Shimano tekota 600lc reel and spool it with 65# power pro. The rod is about $75 from amazon and the reel will be about $180. It's a bit long for putting the wood to a BIG fish like a good size hali, but you'll not have a problem bringing in an albacore or a salmon. It's so stiff, it will take some of the fun/fight out of smaller salmon. The long length is good for when you have 6' or longer leaders as it lets you get the fish close to the boat by raising the tip.

Personally, I like a 5-6' long, fairly stiff rod for tuna and halibut as the long rods give the fish more leverage and tire me out. I like the longer rods for salmon trolling since they have more flexibility, let me get the fish closer to the boat when I use long leaders and the longer length tends to better telegraph light hits or shakers caught on the troll.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: