The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Who wants to learn tuna fishing and buddy boat?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Who wants to learn tuna fishing and buddy boat? Reply with quote

All,

I'm thinking about arranging a C-Brat get together (CBGT) at Neah Bay (or perhaps Westport) this year for tuna fishing. I did a CBGT a few years ago at Neah and it was only attended by one other boat, so I realize it's a bit of a hike to get to Neah Bay. HOWEVER, the salmon fishing is excellent there and the bottom fishing is pretty damn good also. With a Canadian license you can even catch halibut most of the summer there. But the best damn thing ever is running off shore to catch albacore tuna. This past year was my learning experience for albacore fishing and I think I've gone from bad to mediocre at it. By the end of this summer, I think I'll be good at it. I'd be happy to show others where to fish for them, introduce you to the tackle you need and the methods for catching them etc. I'd also be thrilled to have a few "buddy boats" with me when I'm 40-55 miles off shore. So is anyone interested in giving this a try?

To do this right, you'd need to have 4-5 days in Late July/early Aug so that you could be reasonably assured of a couple days in a row with flat water off shore (usually 3-4 out of 5 days are good out there that time of year). For a 22 with the 25 gal tanks, you'd probably need to carry an extra jerry can or two of fuel. Alternatively, you could leave early on a very calm day and motor out at 6kts to get good fuel mileage on the way out. A 25 or a TomCat can do it no problem, just fill the tanks before you leave.

For those afraid to wander off shore, I realize it's not for everyone. However, if you go at the right time of year, the waters off shore are often very calm (many times better than in the Strait of Juan de Fuca). You just need to monitor the weather/swell predictions and pick your days. It's safer to go with a buddy boat or two and that's the reason for suggesting a CBGT tuna fishing excursion. Also, if you have a few boats out, you can spread out a bit and increase the odds of finding a good school of fish. By sharing info, you increase the odds of success.

If you haven't fished for albacore before, I can tell you it's pretty darn addicting. They run fast and fight hard. Once you find them, you often get double or triple hookup. Also, a properly cared for and cleaned albacore tuna is a great tasting fish. So... is anyone interested in joining me out there this summer with your boat?

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I live too far away too make it, a trip like that sounds awesome. I hope you have a great time. In the summer, I go out in the open ocean all the time to fish for halibut, lingcod, rockfish, and salmon. You're right, it isn't for everyone, but it isn't as bad as most people imagine it is. In fact, as you pointed out, it is often calmer out in the open ocean than it is in the bays and fjords - that is when the area is influenced by high pressure.

For those with CD 22s, I have found that the max doable range of the CD 22 with 18 gallon tanks is 140 miles with no reserve when running to Montegue Island here in SC Alaska. I have two red 18 gallon tanks I run on my stainless rack when fuel/range is an issue - which is often.

The only issue I would see CD 22s and CD 25s going to the fising grounds with tomcats is being able to keep up. I envy the speed of your boat.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great idea and opportunity Thumbs Up
rogerbum

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
What a great idea and opportunity Thumbs Up
Yep - all you have to do participate is tow your boat from the east coast to the west coast. Should be just about 3000miles. Wink
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
... all you have to do participate is tow your boat from the east coast to the west coast. Should be just about 3000miles. Wink

Not a bad idea at all Very Happy And if I do, I want to learn how to fish there!
ShellBack

City/Region: Victoria
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Thalassa
Photos: Thalassa
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just faxed my fishing partner the thought. They are in Barkley Sound for New Years so we will see the response. Sounds great for me but must admit a weeeee bit scary.
rogerbum

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShellBack wrote:
Just faxed my fishing partner the thought. They are in Barkley Sound for New Years so we will see the response. Sounds great for me but must admit a weeeee bit scary.

It was a weeeee bit scary for me the first few times. However, now that I've become familiar with the swell predictions and I know for example what 4' at 9s looks like, it's not so scary. The first key is to pick good weather windows when the swell is short and the period is long. The second key is to make sure the boat is in good working condition and well fueled prior to leaving the dock. Number 3 is to make sure you've got all the safety gear covered. If you do those things, and don't do anything really stupid, it's not a big deal.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger,

I am a long way from deciding to go but am curious. (Maybe with a friend.) Are you talking an overnight at sea or would this be out and back on the same day?

Just remembering from your trip last summer.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

rogerbum

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Roger,

I am a long way from deciding to go but am curious. (Maybe with a friend.) Are you talking an overnight at sea or would this be out and back on the same day?

Just remembering from your trip last summer.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Harvey, it could be done either way but most often, I do it as an out and back in one day trip. 3 hours out (at 20 kts or), 6 hours of trolling (6-8kts) and then a 2-3 hour trip back. With the swells at your back, it's generally a faster trip back than it was going out. With a 22, you'd need to carry an extra 10 gals or so of fuel AND/OR leave many hours earlier and go out at 6kts to conserve fuel on the way out. The days are long then so it's doable as a one day trip even on a 22.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Roger. Something to consider. I'm not that far into fishing, but the trip sounds challenging and fun. I will keep following for now.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

neblig

City/Region: roy
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Neblig
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the idea. I'll be up at Nootka Sound the last week of July, but after that... and if I can find an alternate crew (braver), count me in.
Darkwater

City/Region: Fort Bragg
State or Province: CA
Photos: Darkwater
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger- If you can't get many C-Brats to join you, or even if you do, suggest you try to network with the local Washington coastal sport fishermen as well.

Due to coastal topography and consequent upwelling patterns, tuna water tends to be farther offshore in northern Calif than in Oregon and Washington. But here in our northern Calif ports of Noyo Harbor and Humboldt Bay, the local tuna chasers are especially friendly in buddy-ing up, and in keeping in touch with other boats on a common radio channel (10) and sharing lat-lon's and lure colors where the bite is hot. A key tool in this networking and buddy-ing is the "Humboldt Tuna Club" forum. On a good tuna day there are dozens of boats out as far as 40 miles, and I agree a good day of tuna fishing makes salmon fishing seem pretty tame!

Also, a good source of offshore water temperature/chlorophyll conditions is tempbreak.com. And you can also check any NOAA weather buoys in area of interest (few buoys, but not affected by cloud cover)

I don't know if any similar fishing forum exists for coastal Washington. Good luck! Doug

C-Ray 230DA sold Aug 2013
Retired Dec 2013
2008 C-Dory 22 Cruiser (unnamed) Jun 2014
amy and karl

City/Region: Graham
Vessel Name: C-DAISY
Photos: C-DAISY
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested if it is out of Westport. I would likely only be able to make the weekend. If the weather was right I would be down with heading out super early Saturday and coming in Sunday. What kind of gear do you reccomend?

Thanks,
Karl
rogerbum

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amy and karl wrote:
I would be interested if it is out of Westport. I would likely only be able to make the weekend. If the weather was right I would be down with heading out super early Saturday and coming in Sunday. What kind of gear do you reccomend?

Thanks,
Karl

Karl,

I've been using the same reels I use for salmon fishing - Penn GT320 or Shimano Tekota 500LC's spooled with 65lb braid. I like the Shimano reels better since they have line counters on them and it makes it easier to set the gear out at a defined distance. For a rod, I've been using 5-6' halibut type rods. For terminal gear, I use a good bearing type (Sampo) swivel and a 6' leader of 100-150 lb test mono filament. I had very good luck with rapala X-rap 20's in the purple/black combo. I also run a combination of tuna clones.
amy and karl

City/Region: Graham
Vessel Name: C-DAISY
Photos: C-DAISY
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've got the gear for one setup so that's good. Is a pattern nessesary or will a couple lines out due? I'll start reading some threads on bloody decks too.

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: