The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

05/18 - 05/19 - Friday Harbor Gathering
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news Martin.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brats helping Brats. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Glad to hear you're good to go!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To quote our good friend Marty

"God, I love this place"

and what a place it is.

Home boating on the web site because the marina parking lot is too full to drive through, and they are all in a crazy hurry. Good weekend to work on boat jobs.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: 05/18 - 05/19 - Friday Harbor Gathering Reply with quote

Before I "barge in" to the Friday Harbor thread to talk about fuel vents, let me say that it's been a pleasure to read this thread, and to feel a bit like I got in on the get-together from afar. I hope to make it some time (or maybe to Sidney). Sounds like Barry and Patti are great organizers (and nifty they are staying at the helm).

bridma wrote:
Thanks D.D. I will look into that. Were the Attwood fuel vents easy to fit?
Martin.

Martin,
I had read about issues with the stock vents, and the way mine were placed (up near the gunwale), there was absolutely no room for a loop, which just seemed to make the water ingress more likely. So, I replaced mine with Attwood vents of a similar design to the ones Will-C used. I am not adding any clam shells, but I did follow a link (I think from Attwood's site) to where the fuel vents were tested and they look about as close to waterproof as one can get. The test had jets of water blasting on to the vents.

There is one caveat though: The "trap" on the inside of these vents - which makes them function as they do - requires a certain amount of vertical clearance from the center of the opening to the underside of the gunwale (1.5" if I remember correctly). My vents were mounted so high up that that was not possible. I looked in your album and it looks like Nomad's vents are in the same position (would have been better to have them mounted lower and with a loop, but alas...).

However, I found a way around the problem: There is a flush version of the Attwood vent available that fits in a larger hole. By using the existing hole as a starting point, and "adding all the new hole" below it, I was able to incorporate the old hole into the new hole, and get the required clearance. Plus I think the flush vent looks nice, and it's one less thing to catch on a dock or piling. The vents were still a close fit, but went in easily. The two things to check are the top clearance and the clearance (on my boat) from the port-side vent to the fuel-fill hose. I had enough clearance on both but it was close.

I wrote about the vents (with photos) in my "Sunbeam" thread, starting at the link below, and continuing on either the same page or maybe the next one, showing making the holes and dry-fitting the vents. I have now finished installing the fittings and I'm happy with them. I think they should keep water out of the vents and I didn't have to make vent holes in a new place (lower down).

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=19284&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

Sunbeam
redbaronace

City/Region: Puget Sound
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: redbaronace (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to the boat at 11pm and worked for a few hours there. Finally tossed the porta potty because it was leaking and had to go. Have a new one on the way and I feel better about that.

Getting ready to install my fish table and hypervent under the berth cushions. Could have stayed all night, but would rather get some sleep for boating tomorrow instead.
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: 05/18 - 05/19 - Friday Harbor Gathering Reply with quote

Thank you Sunbeam for all your detailed info on fitting new vents. Good info to know before spending some big bucks. I do not think the water came in through my present vents, certainly not all 3 gallons of it.
Thought I would try something cheap and simple first. Use clamshells over my present vents with the opening facing aft and tilted downwards just slightly. The previous owner of my boat was a C-Brat on this site. He has been very good supplying me with history and info. I'm sure he would have mentioned the vents if they had concerned him.

Cheers,
Martin.
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: 05/18 - 05/19 - Friday Harbor Gathering Reply with quote

Further to my water issue after refuelling at Friday Harbor. I have never pointed my finger at FH as the guilty culprit. Others refuelled there and have reported no problems, although it has been suggested to me that I could have been the last customer on the tank, they then switched tanks. So those guys before me and those after me were ok. Where as I picked up the water at the bottom of the tank I refuelled from. Interestly I had practically no water in the Stbd tank but 3 gallons in the Port tank! Remembering back, I filled my jerry cans first, Stbd tank next, Port tank last.
Here's another thought. This is only my second season with this boat. I do not remember running down the Port tank less than a third full. Perhaps a certain amount of water was already in there and when the engines said 'enough is enough' they quit.
Hopefully I now have all the water out, the engines are running again, and today I will buy some fuel additive. Anyone have a favourite? I know some of you bought "Sea Foam" at Friday Harbor.

Cheers,
Martin.

PS. I hope this subject does not detract to much from the topic of the Friday Harbor Gathering. I had a great time like everyone else, and I will be back.
ldraker

City/Region: Amarillo
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: See-Saw
Photos: See-Saw
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Friday Harbor gathering Reply with quote

What a great gathering, at Friday Harbor! We really enjoyed the entire weekend. Sorry it has taken us a while to post. After the gathering, we took the ferry from Anacortes over to Sidney, BC, and drove to Victoria to spend a few days with friends there and just got back to Anacortes yesterday and are now officially headed back toward Texas, though we don't plan to be home for about 3 more weeks.
Thanks so much to Barry and Patti for letting us tag along from Cornet Bay at Deception Pass across to Friday Harbor. We're not very experienced with salt water and were happy to have a couple of pros show us the way for this first time in Pacific waters. And we especially appreciate them for organizing and hosting us all. It was a treat to see several C-Brats we had met before--those two as well as Joe and Ruth, Toni and Russ, and Pat and Patty and Baxter. And there were so many we hadn't met! We really enjoyed visiting with Rob, Jan and Stacy, Neil and Mary, Sam, George and Carolyn, Don, David and Joan, Charless and Marjorie, Jamie and Denise, Jim and Joan, Mitch and Marge--the "wannabes" who were also the third couple in attendance from Texas, and so many other great folks. And we're so pleased to have been awarded the beautiful book of photos--"San Juan Islands . . . and Beyond," by Karyn F. King--for having traveled to farthest to attend the gathering.
Some of you have suggested that we are inheriting the position Bill and El have held for so many years, but we certainly don't feel it's merited. We don't have nearly as much as experience as they have. We're just old! LOL Of course, we have had lots of fun travels to talk about, though not nearly so much on C-Dories.
We really enjoyed Jim's music at the pot-luck! What a multi-talented guy
We do beg to disagree with Jim and Joan though, who say that a C-Dory from Texas MUST have an air-conditioner and a shower. Our 16' obviously doesn't have those amenities. Of course, we're from the "non-sweaty" part of Texas!
Our "C-dog" Lindy had a wonderful time, meeting so many cool dogs AND people at the gathering. We appreciate everyone who had given us "boating-with-dog" hints over a year ago, before we ever took her out on the boat. All's well, and she loves being a C-dog! (We suggest that future rosters of the group include dogs' names as well as all the other "necessary" information!)
All in all, it was a fabulous weekend! We hope to see many of you in Lake Powell in September.
Lyle, Janda, and Lindy

Rock-C

City/Region: Salem
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Rock-C
Photos: Rock-C
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Just got home from the Friday Hbr. CBGT. I took the long way home Wink After dropping Ann off at Belingham Wed. morning, so she could drive home to work on Thursday, I spent a few days cruising alone.
I made the mistake of spending the holiday weekend at Stuart Is. The dock was filled with loud drunken people that didnt seem to care who or what was in ear shot. What a contrast to the weekend spent at Friday Hbr with 49 boats full of friendly, well behaved C-Brats.
After the Holiday crowds went home, I had the dock at Jones and Sucia all to myself.
Thanks go out to Barry & Patty. You did it again. We had a great time and look forward to next year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21
Page 21 of 21

Jump to: