The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

05/18 - 05/19 - Friday Harbor Gathering
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Change

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Change
Photos: C-Change
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin:

Sorry to hear of your water issue. We had a very similar issue a few years back when we took on fuel at the marina just north of Sidney ( can't remember the name at the moment). We did finally clear out all the water and got things running smoothly.

On this trip, we took on 30 gallons of gas at Friday Harbor and had no issues on the return trip.

Jan
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: 05/18 - 05/19 - Friday Harbor Gathering Reply with quote

Martin,
I would make sure the water is not coming in from you own spray through your fuel vents. A fuel filter water separator with a see through bottom that has a drain valve if water should collect might be in your future. We changed our fuel vents to the Attwood style and added clam shells to try and prevent water intrusion. We also added a fuel filter with water separator that has a see thru bowl with a drain. So far so good.
D.D.

bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: 05/18 - 05/19 - Friday Harbor Gathering Reply with quote

Thanks D.D. I will look into that. Were the Attwood fuel vents easy to fit?
Martin.
beermanPDX

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Photos: Jean Marie
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry & Patti - Thanks for the excellent job hosting this event. I had a great time at my first gathering and met some great new friends. I was even lucky enough to see whales on Saturday (near Lime Kiln Lighthouse) and Sunday (north of Everett / East side of Whidbey)....it was the icing on the cake.

A special thanks to Harvey / Sleepy C who went out of his way to herd and lead the Sequim Flotilla to Friday Harbor. Harvey is the epitome of the site's motto: "Just be nice."

Here's a link to some pics I uploaded to my album:

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=beermanpdxFriday-Harbor-2013&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Rob
2008 25 Cruiser - Sold
2002 Nordic Tug 32/4 - Sold
1989 40 Tollycraft Sport Sedan
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good possibility. My 19 had the vents facing fwd. Just loosened the backing nut and pointed the holes aft away from spray and rain.
Will-C

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: 05/18 - 05/19 - Friday Harbor Gathering Reply with quote

Martin,
Changing your fuel vents is pretty easy. We have a Venture and it was an easy swap out. The Attwood model vents that we have are plastic so I added clam shells to ward off spray and to help prevent dock monsters from roughing them up.
D.D.
Will-C

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: 05/18 - 05/19 - Friday Harbor Gathering Reply with quote

ATTWOOD 1670-3 - Attwood 90º Fuel Tank Vent 1670-3 -
bridma

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: 05/18 - 05/19 - Friday Harbor Gathering Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics D.D. very helpful. The clam shell looks a good idea.
Martin.
timflan

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Two Lucky Fish +1
Photos: Two Lucky Fish
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 05/18 - 05/19 - Friday Harbor Gathering Reply with quote

Will-C wrote:
A fuel filter water separator with a see through bottom that has a drain valve if water should collect might be in your future.

I have this, and I've never had a watery fuel problem. On the other hand, maybe I've just been lucky!

Quick question: How do you know when you've got WATER and not FUEL in the see-through bowl? Thanks!

Lighthouse Express

City/Region: Auburn, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lighthouse Express
Photos: Lighthouse Express
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry and Patty, thank you very much for the outstanding gathering! You seem to care and attend to every one who showed up. That tells me something about your personalities. Diane and I had the best time ever on the water since we acquired our C-Dory two years ago. Well worth our time coming up from California to make new friends. We will most certainly attend again in 2014.

Sleepy-C, a very experienced seaman, got up at 4:30AM on Friday morning to check on the weather made us feel safe crossing the channel from Sequim to Friday Harbor. He also made us feel welcome being first time C-Brats gathering attendees. A person you want to call your friend...

Jean Marie, also a first time CB gathering attendee invited us to what came out to be a very adventures cruise to Roche Harbor and whale watching. A very easy going and kind person we can call our friend now. We are glad to hear that he had a safe return to his family who we hope to meet sometime in the near future.

We are looking forward to seeing some of you again at the Lake Powell gathering in September...

Farewell

Will-C

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: 05/18 - 05/19 - Friday Harbor Gathering Reply with quote

Timflan,
Usually you can tell be looking a the water and gas will look like a vinegar and oil mixture. If in doubt attach a drain hose to the filters drain valve and drain into a clear container. Leave settle for a minute or two and if you have water it will be apparent as they gas and water will separate.
D.D.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heinz,

Thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated, but maybe overkill. I'm just glad to share the C-Dory / C-Brat experience. Sorry we didn't get to see the sunrise over the strait, it is really worth getting up early for.

Thanks for doing the Vessel Safety inspection. You do a good job there and thanks for sharing.

I hope to get the chance to make a southward trip sometime. If and when, I will let you know.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

serenitymay1995

City/Region: Cumberland
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Gumption
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: friday harbour Reply with quote

thank you patty and barry. we had a great time and really enjoyed Friday harbour. this was our first time clearing customs by water so now we know what to do. very gracious hosts, thanks again
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,
Since water sinks in fuel, it will settle to the bottom of the see-through bowl and look like little clear marbles moving around on the bottom of the bowl. Drain it out and you're good to go.

Rick

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013
bridma

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: 05/18 - 05/19 - Friday Harbor Gathering Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
You should be able to drain the carbs easily

. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aeedmzfjXY

at 4:53 in this really good video you see the drain plug for the carbs. You should be able to just drain the carbs with out taking them apart by removing this plug. Do that and turn the motor over for a minute to clear the lines. Then hook up to good gas and try to start it. Remember to pump the fuel bulb until its hard. Please give that a try before spending money. should not take more then 10 mins.

Yipeeeee, I'm up and running again. You were right Tom. Drain off the carbs, I did this three times, and pump fresh fuel through, and away we go Very Happy Now to fess up. I was nervous about tinkering with the carbs, so Jamie on "Anonomous", who lives 5 miles away, came over and took me through it. It is so much easier now having seen it done in real life.

Martin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 20 of 21

Jump to: