The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Because I don’t know.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Connie Fisher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Because I don’t know. Reply with quote

I’m asking “because I don’t know”

Please see the attached photo;

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?full=1&set_albumName=Lil-Sis&id=boat10&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Should or can the cock pit cover be in place when towing at interstate speeds?

Please advise.

Regards,

Ron Fisher
G Gallagher

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Reel Salty
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect you would be looking for trouble- when a little wind gets under your cover you likely will dramatically shorten the life of your canvas.
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G Gallagher wrote:
...when a little wind gets under your cover you likely will dramatically shorten the life of your canvas.

And if the canvas doesn't get ripped/ruined, the buffeting will slowly pull out the snaps from the fiberglass as well.

There's no good reason to tow with a cover on, IMO. Weather is a non-issue, and any concerns about theft are better handled by placing items in the locked v-berth and/or tow vehicle. They take minutes to put on/off, and can be easily stowed while underway.

Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connie,

Bad idea!!!! Don't ask me how I know....

Does anyone know how much a repaint would cost on the motor cover?

Snaps just beat the daylights out of the paint job when you're doing 70mph through Nevada... Oh, and it pops the snaps out of the canvas... But don't ask me how i know Sad Sad Embarassed Embarassed

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have towed with my storage cover on, for short, and low speed trips only. It does not snap on so didn't have to worry about those. BUT, I would not do hiway towing with either the storage or mooring cover. I think it is asking for trouble. I would consider window covers for towing though. I think that is a good idea (to protect the windows) and I have seen some neat bow (forward hull) protectors too. Would consider that for long trips or where towing is going to be the major mode of travel.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

hambone

City/Region: Klamath Falls/Brookings OR.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wandering Sagebrush wrote:
Connie,

Bad idea!!!! Don't ask me how I know....

Does anyone know how much a repaint would cost on the motor cover?

Snaps just beat the daylights out of the paint job when you're doing 70mph through Nevada... Oh, and it pops the snaps out of the canvas... But don't ask me how i know Sad Sad Embarassed Embarassed

Boy this brings back some nightmares. Crook We do seem to learn our lessons through our wallet it seems. If only the C-Brats site had been around 25 years ago. Rolling Eyes

SEAWOLF 2008 22' TWIN HONDA 50s CRUISER
Connie Fisher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always heard that “Education is expensive”, if fact;

Derek Bok said: "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance"

Fortunately, this time, I ask before learning the hard way, appreciate your input.

Thank you for the comments.

Regards,

Ron Fisher

If a man must be obsessed by something I suppose a boat
is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most -E. B. White
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always towed with the camper canvas up on both the 22 and the 27. Never a problem with either one. Mostly tow around here, everett to bellingham, but we are doing 60mph. I have even gone to portland with the 22, again at 60mph or so. Only time anything flopped around was when I forgot to button something down. I caught sight of it in the rear view mirrow in the first mile and stopped to snap it. I would take it for a test drive to see but thats just me.
C-Dawg

City/Region: Spanaway
Photos: C-Dawg
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might need to add this subject to the same genre as twins-vs-single and trailer-with-motor-up-or-down.

I travel with my mooring cover on all the time at highway speeds; never had a problem. However, my cover is attached across the top and at the bottom forward corner with these. I've never had a problem with the cover coming loose.

C-Dawg sold November 2018
mcolp

City/Region: Colorado Springs
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Allyson Marie
Photos: Allyson Marie
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Towing with Cockpit Covers Reply with quote

Ron,

If your Tonneau (Cockpit) Cover is properly designed and installed there should be
no problems trailering at highway speeds.
I have been trailering boats for 30+ years for long (3000 mile) distances with no
problems. Just as a precaution, I periodically check all of the snaps to make sure that they are secured.

The cover has to fit tight when snapped on. It appears that your cover fits pretty loose which can "flap in the breeze" for sure. It also looks like more snaps need to be installed on the sides to prevent "ballooning". Also if the cover material is too
soft it will stretch and fit looser over time. I have had better luck with embossed
UV stabilized vinyl which is made for boat covers, tonneau covers etc..
The cover on my CD22 is coming up on 6 years old and is essentially like new.
The cockpit cover on my SeaRay was 16 years old when I sold it and I never experienced and rips or tears while trailering.
In regards to protection while towing especially with the C-dory it keeps the
cockpit and everything in it clean and dry.
Case in point: We purchased the boat new in St Louis (because that was the closest dealer) and it did not have a cover and by the time towed the boat back to Colorado Springs the cockpit was a mess (dirty and wet) So a properly fitted cover DOES keep the cockpit clean and dry.
Just so you know, a MOORING cover is not meant to be trailered, if you do it WILL
beat your boat to death. (The nice, shiny gel coat that is)

I put a picture in my album at the end showing the cockpit cover.

Hope this helps,
Mike
"Allyson Marie"
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still Crazy has been towed around 8 thousand miles with the cover up. It also has the twist locks instead of snaps along the rear cabin top. That is the part that if it comes loose becomes a giant air scoop. I would have no problem towing without the cover up other than the fact that we occasionally stop at hotels/motels and have to put the cover up for security anyway. I suppose there will come a time when the canvas will weaken enough to tear, but then it will be close to time for replacement anyway. The cover I have has been doing good service for almost 6 years.

It does fit very snug, leaving little room for billowing.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only cover we use is the front windshield cover. We have had bimini covers damaged (not the bimini, but the cover over the rolled up
Bimini. ) You can get away with the full canvas cover, or a mooring cover (or even a full cover, it it is absolutely tight. But...it can cause some abrasion. We also tow the Caracal and take the seat covers, the console cover and the engine cover off. The bimini is below the forward casting platform, so out of the wind slip stream.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
NewMoon

City/Region: Holladay
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Cindy Sea
Photos: Cindy Sea
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Moon's Sunbrella covers have survived 60K miles of towing so far. I'd say the windshield cover is essential, as are the covers for the searchlight and mouths of the hailer speaker and horns. The cockpit cover keeps out a ton of road grime on the long trek up to Prince Rupert, and hides the nice crab traps, dinghy etc as well.

The cockpit cover is attached under the roof overhang by sail rope tracks, which have been flawless. Both windshield and cockpit covers have had snaps replaced from time to time, and we've patched small wear spots on the windshield cover, but that's about it.

Cindy Sea (CD 22 Cruiser, from 1991 to 1998)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we picked up our boat from the factory, we were told specifically to not tow with the windshield cover on, that it would cause abrasion to the glass. Also, to not tow with the bimini or camperback up. We have been considering a cockpit cover for times when the boat is in storage - sure would be nice to keep blowing dirt out of the cockpit.
potter water

City/Region: Logan
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what kind of window cover your factory was talking about, but some abrasion is a lot better than a rock through the window. That will happen sooner or later without a window cover and when you are towing. You are more likely to throw a rock through your window towing slowly because the rock takes longer to fling out of the tread. Slower movement of the wheel will more likely throw the rock on a higher trajectory. (Laws of centrifugal force). My window cover has a nice soft felty kind of backside. If that will abrade the glass, then the glass is crap from the get go. No indication of wear on the window after many thousands of miles. Also, the window cover is pretty much drum tight. Not much room for abrasive motion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: