The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Lifting an 85# Kayak to the rooftop (Ideas needed)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Lifting an 85# Kayak to the rooftop (Ideas needed) Reply with quote

We have a Hobie Tandem Mirage kayak (14.5 feet, about 85# hull weight).

We both Love the kayak, and displacement towed it for the three weeks we were recently on Lake Powell. The kayak rack that I fabricated for the CC23's rooftop works fine. The only problem is that launching and retrieving the kayak is a royal PITA. It's heavy, bulky and very awkward. We can do it - but there must be a better way. I need Ideas!

The Cape Cruiser 23 has the standard welded aluminum rocket launcher atop the cabin, so I have a reasonable platform from which to build/mount something, possibly some type of collapsible lift or davit-like gizmo.

I envision some form of welded, hindged(?), folding arm that could be deployed overboard to grab the kayak, then pivot the arm so the kayak rests on the carrier. Although I can 'see the device in my minds-eye, I'm not enough of an engineer to see any details. (Although I must admit, I am a Master of overEngineering stuff!)

Any Ideas out there?

Best,
Casey&Mary

Morning Star

City/Region: St. Petersburg
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Morning Star
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We, too, have a Hobie Mirage Tandem. I slide it up over the side of the bow pulpit, pivot it around, and then slide it up on the roof racks. It is a bit of a chore. I have considered mounting a Garhauer lifting davit http://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=41 on the rail. I have seen this done on a couple of Rosborough 246s, and it seems to work well. It can be removed and stowed when not in use. I thought about using two mounts, so it can double as a davit for lifting the kicker.
JDS

City/Region: Coeur d'Alene
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-IDAHO
Photos: C-Idaho
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey,

I don't have the details, but I recall that the late George Roach had a lift system for two single kayaks on his boat the "Sea Quest". I believe that George and his wife were from Oregon and you might find some photos from the Lake Powell Gathering in 2010 if you can't find an album.

Jim

Alok

City/Region: League City
State or Province: TX
Photos: Top Cat
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I sold the Tomcat, I have been communing with the water in my Hobie kayak. I use the Malone Lift Assist to lift the kayak to the roof of my Rav-4. You do have to lift the kayak to place it in the device, then you can ratchet it up quite easily to the roof. You will need both the "Downloader" and the "Lift Assist".

2012 Malone Telos Kayak Lift Assist for Use on Malone DownLoader, J-Loader & AutoLoader Kayak Racks - MPG351

Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Lifting an 85# Kayak to the rooftop (Ideas needed) Reply with quote

1. Buy a lighter kayak
2. get a gym membership for some weight training for all parties concerned
3. get one the slide thingies that they use to launch and retrive the Portland Pudgies
4. get an inflatable dinghy
5. get a motor for inflatable dinhy
6. rig up a pulley system for your windless to drag the yak to the roof while you guide it up using a portable remote to control the windless.
7. take more people along on your cruises to help you load the heavy things you purchased without thinking how am I gonna get this 85 pound beast on the roof of my other boat Very Happy
D.D.

joefish

City/Region: Great Falls
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: My Girl
Photos: My Girl
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for all kinds of ideas you might check out the Portland Pudgy thread in which Aurelia's captain builds a "ramp" to load the 128 lb dinghy onto the roof. There are photos on page 4.
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey, George used a winch that lifted the Hobie up to the level of the radar arch. The kayaks were carried on edge, along the sides of the boat at the level of the cabin top. I may have some photos. I'll check when I get my computer field up.
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some shots. In 2009, George and Jan only took one kayak, mounted the same way. Balance did not seem to be an issue. The winch looked like a trailer winch, and was mounted on a 2x4 that was on the top of the radar arch. George took the winch down once the kayak was in the rack. You might use a similar winch, then pivot the Hobie around to the cabin top if you want to keep it on center line. I think that pool noodles and good tie downs might be all you need for the double on the cabin top. What ever you come up with, please take detailed photos and post them. Diana and I may plagiarize your work.

Spike

City/Region: Kent
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Bootleg Hooch
Photos: Bootleg Hooch
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey
Check out C-Dasiy's album. Karl has pictures of the davit set up on his boat.

Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey, here's a whole THREAD that should help you!

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look at one of the roller mounted to the front rail. These are sold for mounting on the cars carry racks. the hardest part of is lifting the kayak to the roof. With the rollers you can get a tipping point that is easy and smooth to pull the kayak over.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking at the Martini 3-piece tandem kyaks . These are about 14' tandems that break down into 3 pieces with each weighing about 25lbs. The pieces would be easy to lift and stow but I'm not sure how easy it would be to assemble on the water or across the cockpit in the boat. The latter might be quite challenging. However, it's quick and easy to assemble on flat ground or a dock and I think I could manage putting one together from the swim step/bracket on the Tomcat.
B~C

City/Region: Bend
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the easiest way to get them rascals on the roof, but it hasn't ever worked for me, is have the spousal unit load them. I went with two light kayaks but have always though a pot puller would be an easy, cost effective way to at least hoist the yaks up into the cockpit
Casey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been looking at the Garhauer Marine lifts - they look like they might work (Thanks Jim....)

As I mentioned, we LOVE the Hobie Tandem. Yes, it's awkward to load/unload, but we can DO it, but it's not as efficient and streamlined as I'd like, but we realized that before we bought it.

The "Mirage Drive" units are fantastic. On a recent trip on the "Dora Canal" (about twenty miles south of The Villages) we decided to check our GPS speed on a short run. With both of us pedaling full-out we hit 5.7mph! Granted, we didn't sustain that very long, but when we 'relaxed it was easy to cruise along at 3.5 to 4mph for sustained periods. We take at least one paddle (for making shorter radius turns when necessary) but use the pedal-drive 98% of the time.

Back to the lift idea....

I'm thinking that a Garhauer Marine lift (possibly with a longer vertical pole) mounted on the gunnel and secured to the eave of the roof might just be the Answer. I'll have to play with measurements, etc ...but it might allow the kayak to lifted and pivoted into place.

...thanks All!

Best,
Casey&Mary
Casey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: The Garhauer lift is installed. Pictures are available in our album.

Installation of the Garhauer lift went very well. We have done several launch and retrieval exercises from the boat (in the driveway) and all seems to work as well (or better) than we expected.

The only real issue during installation was fabricating a backing plate to support the "stand off" arm that Garhauer supplied. But even that step wasn't too bad, just required a bit of creativity.

With this installation we hope to be able to keep both seats and "Mirage drive" pedal assemblies installed in the boat. This should make kayak launching and retrieval both easier and faster.

We were both impressed with the Quality of the Garhauer materials and constructions.

Best,
Casey&Mary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Dinghys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: