View previous topic :: View next topic  
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Sea Lions Reply with quote

This would be fun to watch. Five government agencies taking part in an effort in futility.

Media advisory

Wednesday, May 4, 2005

Federal and state agencies to assess sea lion hazing methods

PORTLAND - A multi-agency operation to research the effectiveness of non-injurious methods of hazing sea lions will take place this week in the tailrace area immediately below Bonneville Dam. The two-day project is expected to begin mid-morning Thursday and end mid-afternoon Friday. All activities will take place during daylight hours.

The hazing assessment will be led by NOAA Fisheries and will involve the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the Washington and Oregon departments of fish and wildlife, and the Oregon State Police.

Plans call for operating four boats in the tailrace area of Bonneville Dam, a part of the river usually off limits to all boats for safety reasons. The boats participating in the assessment are being supplied by NOAA Fisheries, the two state wildlife agencies and OSP. Because the operation will take place immediately downriver of the dam while the spillways are open, all four boats must first pass a Coast Guard inspection. Three boats will be used for hazing, and the fourth will serve as a safety boat. Each of the hazing boats will be staffed with a pilot, a hazing operator and a monitor.

The effort will begin with agency staff using noise-making, flare-type guns and percussive devices from the top of the dam to startle sea lions into moving away from the area. Once the sea lions have moved far enough away from the dam and fish ladder, the four boats will launch and begin attempting to drive the sea lions farther downriver with the use of additional non-injurious acoustic and percussive devices.

Monitors on each of the three hazing boats will record the effectiveness of the hazing methods by watching how far and how long sea lions move away from the dam. The goal is to learn whether any of the deterrents will encourage sea lions to permanently leave the area.

###

Notes to media

Most of the boat activity is scheduled to take place on the Washington side of the river below Powerhouse 2. The best locations for viewing the effort are expected to be along the frontage road that parallels Washington SR 14 or at the boat ramp area.

One or more representatives from some of the participating agencies will be available at the boat ramp to answer questions Thursday, 1-3 p.m., and Friday, 10 a.m. - noon. For on-site information during those times call 503-702-4407.

General agency contacts for background information (not on-site information):

NOAA Fisheries: Brian Gorman, 206-526-6613
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife: Margaret Ainscough, 360-902-2408
Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife: Ann Snyder, 503-947-6010
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers: Diana Fredlund, 503-808-4510

Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like Monkey Football to me.... Disgust

Hazing is illegal here on the Right Coast, at least at the Military Academies and Institutions of Higher Learning. Smile Probably extends to Marine Mammals as well. Maybe we should alert Greenpeace? Oh, wait, no let's not do that! Thumbs Down Not only that, they're offering "viewing", maybe they can sell tickets to defer the cost...

I can only guess who will win this one, and it won't be the Government Agencies. Wonder how much of our taxpayer dollars this cost? Crook

If we could talk 'em into same sex marriages, they'd die out naturally. Or at least get so frustrated, they'd go somewhere else.... Like San Francisco....OH, bet that gets me a blast! Crook

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
B~C

City/Region: Bend
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sheesh, I wonder how long it will take them to haze them down to you Mike? I hope nobody gets hurt in this boondogle...Fools, don't they know all they need to do is to truck some Orcas up there and turn um lose.....or...haze some Orcas upriver
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cheers

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Cheers
Photos: Cheers
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Hazing Reply with quote

I would think PETA would be raising the dickens over this? Cat
larry7777

City/Region: Florida Keys
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Hazing Reply with quote

What a bunch of taxpayer funded crap.
We recently read an article about an endangered species fly costing some California town millions of dollars in a preservation effort.

We are by no means immune.
In fact, we were denied a building permit on a waterfront lot here in the keys because a certain species of mouse "might" like to live there.

Millions of species have come and gone, just look at the fossils in the rocks.

Go figure.

Larry
Florida Keys
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, seems they spend all their time screwing up the crabbing season based on fake science and fooling around with the sea lions...isn't anybody (besides Mike) watching these clowns?

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

B~C

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, why would the People for Eating Tasty Animals be concerned? Smile
Chuckpacific

City/Region: SW PDX
Vessel Name: Big Sky
Photos: Big Sky
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how many of you have been at the Bonneville fish ladder watching salmon through the windows under the water but can you imagine the shock of seeing an 800 pound sea lion thru the glass working his way upstream!!???

Chuck
B~C

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a sight, ever been to the hatchery and looked eye to eye at the sturgeon? Those sea lions munching on a few salmon doesn't bother me to much, but when they took to munching on oversized sturgeon.....that's another story. When a 40 to 60 year old fish that's critical to the continuation of the fishery is lost, that's a big loss....along the same vein, I think the oversized sturgeon fishery should be closed down.

Last edited by B~C on Thu May 05, 2005 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better yet-- just open up a hunting season for them. Jan 1 to Dec 31, no bag limit.
KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a minute. Let's see what happens. It's possible we might be wrong, that their efforts succeed.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What pople fail to under stand is that when the salmon population was at its highest, per white guy or p.w.g., the sealion population was keep under control by the other population of salmon eating mammals of the great north west.. the tribes. well since we installed a mc ducks on every corner there is no reason to hunt seals. but that leaves us with a problem. the seal population, which is not hunted by man white or other wise, is out breeding the salmon population. and yes over harvest in the last century along with logging and damms did a really good job of declining the stocks. We have changed the logging industry( whats left of it) and there is hardly any commercal fishery compared to what we once had (still to much) and unless you all are going off line at home and work or join me in opening a atomic reactor soon the dams are not going anywhere. So that leaves us with managing the resourses. We are not allowed to manage the resourses under the marine animal protection act and until that happens the stocks of salmon and steelhand on the west coast will not recover. In-action is not management. The same inaction by 'well meaning" groups lead to the burning of large parts of are forest in the last ten years. we have a duty as the number one speices to manage the resourse of the planet. not ignore them or "let nature take its course" ( side not we are nature unless you thing we are aliens) As some would do. So with that said let the hunt start. So i will need tuna rod with 400lbs test line and a bigger net.
Bearbait

City/Region: North Pole
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1991
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I had a sea lion take a salmon that I had on my line (which happens all the time) that made a big mistake. Usually they are very good at avoiding the hooks but this big bull ended up with an orange pixie stuck right in the corner of his mouth. He surfaced and bellowed loud enough to be heard for miles and stayed on the surface beating his head against the water, hollering the whole time. After about 10 seconds he went underwater then resurfaced and repeated the performance, all the while with my pretty lure was whipping back and forth from his lip.
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the hunting ban was put on the marine mammals in the '70's there were something like 5,000- 10,000 sea lions on the west coast. Today there are over 330,000 from what I read a couple months ago. Tom is right. We need to start thinning the population. Man has historically been the major predator of seals and sea lions. But we went and passed a law saying it is illegal to hunt them. Getting that law changed is going to be tough as it is a Federal Law. I just read that the tribes have just asked for a permit to shoot the sea lions in the Columbia next year. This could be a MAJOR benefit to the Salmon runs if it goes through! I also feel this is the ONLY way we will be able to get around the law passed in the '70's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: