Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Wallas kerosene heater-only (not cooker) question Reply with quote

For anyone who has one of the Wallas kerosene heaters (such as the 1300 or 1800) that just heat and don't cook, I would be grateful for your comments on a question I have. I've got a sensitive nose, I dislike the smell of fuel in my "living room" (why I love a boat with an outboard!), and I'm considering a Wallas kerosene heater (the heater-only models which are just basically a box; not the ones that are also a cooker).

My questions:

1) Do you ever smell fuel [kerosene or Kleen Heat] in the cabin? If so, is it (only) when the heater is running? Or is it all the time (maybe from the fuel bottle/hoses/or just .... because it lives in the boat?

2) If you don't ever smell fuel, would you say you have a sensitive nose or that you don't really tend to notice faint odors?

Thanks much! I'm considering the various heating options, and my main question on these particular heaters is this one (because it's one that I can't get from the "specs").

Sunbeam Hot
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If properly installed and the fittings are tight you should not ever smell fuel in the cabin. (unless you spill some when refilling the tank). These units use outside air for combustion air and then vent the exhaust out side also. The inside air is heated as it recirculates within the system and is separate from the combustion air.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply - much appreciated Thumbs Up I went and looked at these units at Scan Marine (very nice and helpful folks), and when they brought me back into the demo area (they have numerous heaters and cooker/heaters on display which can be fired up - it looks sort of like a test kitchen Very Happy), I could immediately smell fuel (some sort of diesel/kero type scent). I mentioned it, because I wouldn't care for that level of odor in my boat cabin -- but of course the thing is that they are not only burning a bunch of the different model Wallases in that room, they are also filling the tanks, maybe spilling a touch (they suggested this; I'm not just being critical of their precision Wink ), etc. And they added that they don't have great olfactory function themselves, so they actually can't smell it themselves.

I do like the overall concept of the Wallases. I think I'm more of a "separate heater and separate one-burner cooker" sort of person, so I'm considering various heat-only heaters. If the Wallas kero heater-only units don't cause any sort of fuel smell in the cabin, they are definitely on my list of options.

Thanks again, and if anyone else has comments, I'm all ears.

Sunbeam Hot
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a lot of differences twixt the heaters and the cookers as far as operation goes I don't think. We've had both and if they operate right, you smell nothing. I have the same sensitivities/allergies too.

I also have Phoebephobia... Rolling Eyes

Charlie

For those unfamiliar with the last one, its "the fear of large girls named Phoebe"... Mr. Green

On edit... You posted while I struggled on an ipad...my experience was with one device at a time in an enclosed cabin... Thumbs Up

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anna Leigh,

If you happen to look back at this thread, could I ask you another question? Do you have one of the Wallas kero heaters? (I looked in your album - you've made a lot of really nice mods! - but only saw a Webasto; wasn't sure if maybe you had changed or had a Wallas on the 22' Anna Leigh).

What I'm wondering is specifically how "blowy" the 1300/1800 are. I know that's really subjective, and I can see they are forced air heat - so obviously the heat will be arriving in the cabin via fan - but I'm guessing some types/models may be more forceful in the "drafty" way than others.

(At home I'm a fan of radiant heat, such as a wood stove, but they're not super practical on a 22! I am considering something like a Wave 3/6, for the radiance factor; but then they have other disadvantages. Definitely no perfect solution, so I have to choose my best compromise.)

Thanks again,
Sunbeam
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put an Eco-fan on the wallas stove and it blows heat all over with no further use of electricity...
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captains Cat wrote:
I put an Eco-fan on the wallas stove and it blows heat all over with no further use of electricity...

Hi Charlie,

I don't really like forced-air heat, because to me the air movement feels "drafty" and so makes whatever temperature I have achieved feel colder than it really is. So I'm actually hoping for "less blowy" and not more (but I do realize that both the 1300 and 1800 move the heat by fan, so it's the nature of the beast. Still, different models/brands vary somewhat).

If I go to a propane heater, then there are a couple of ways to achieve "still" heat, but then they have other cons - one example being that if I'm boating in a chilly place, I can't "stow up" on fuel as easily (e.g. it's a lot easier to stow three extra gallons of Kleen Heat or Kero than it is to find a locker large enough for three full 11# propane tanks!).

That's just one example of the many various trade-offs I'm considering, and I know there is no perfection or one right choice when it comes to heat on a small boat. I just want to make the most favorable choice I can for me and my boat -- and some things can only be found via experience (or are subjective) and can't be gleaned through the published specs. So that's bringing me here to ask questions of Brats who have used the 1300/1800.

Thanks again,

Sunbeam Hot
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Webasto. But both brands basically work the same.
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wouldn't call the Eco-fan "forced air". It's more of an "air distribution system". No noise, no electricity, no whirring noise. Have you seen\tried one in any application?

Charlie
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captains Cat wrote:
I really wouldn't call the Eco-fan "forced air". It's more of an "air distribution system". No noise, no electricity, no whirring noise. Have you seen\tried one in any application?

I'm pretty sure it was an Eco-Fan (or something like it) that I had with a woodstove years ago (but maybe not? What I'm remembering is a fan that was "powered" by the movement of the heat coming from the stove). It was pretty neat, especially with something like a woodstove (where you otherwise have no fan). I could totally see using one if I go with some sort of radiant heat.

I was thinking about how the furnaces I'm asking about are already ducted/forced air on their own (which isn't my favorite, in a perfect world, but I like the them for other reasons, and heat on a small boat is not a perfect world!), so I was just saying I don't want to make it "more blowy" if I can help it.

I can tell by searching/reading the archives that the heater-only Wallases aren't nearly as popular on C-Dorys as the 95/85, but I'm still hoping to hear a bit of "subjective" feedback on them.

Thanks,
Sunbeam
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captains Cat wrote:

Another vote for the Eco-fan... They work great, are quiet and keep the entire cabin warm.

Sunbeam, the Eco-fan has a dissimilar metal strip that creates a small electrical current to drive the fan. There is a large version that if I remember correctly has a recirculating fluid system that drives a piston. I've not used it, but have three of the small units. Pun intended, I am a fan.

Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wandering Sagebrush wrote:

Another vote for the Eco-fan... They work great, are quiet and keep the entire cabin warm.

I will definitely keep the Eco-fan in mind, especially if I go with a non-ducted heat source. Sounds like they could be very useful. (I'm assuming they "keep the entire cabin warm" by distributing heat that some other heat source is already making; now I just have to choose that heat source.)

I'm thinking one of the "plusses" of the Wallas Kero furnace would be the fact that it's ducted and the furnace itself blows the heat out of the ducts. On the other hand, maybe they are inadequate, or need help -- I'm hoping to find out.
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Eco Fan works by setting it on a hot surface, like the Wallas glass top or a woodstove top. It won't work unless it's base is heated. I don't see how it would help a ducted heater.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having used a portable heater and been on the road thru some cool, wet times, I would seriously entertain a forced air system like webasto or espar. The cabin is simple to heat, one outlet would be fine. I would consider getting 2 into the bunk to combat moisture buildup in there. Our bunk is proving well ventilated on the bottom with the vinyl house soffit I put in. The sides and foot are challenging. If we can keep the overhead hatch open a half inch it really helps. I have been thinking of an espar with an outlet under the foot of the berth and overhead at the wiring bulkhead and one in the cabin. This is if we are unsuccessful in our current quest to find warm spots to cruise. My experience with the forced air units is in most cases, smell free. Good installation and attention to leaks is important. Good luck with the install. George
Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 1300 in my 16 foot cruiser. Under certain conditions I can smell the exhaust which has a Kerosene smell. My guess is that the open nature of the 16 and the small size, contributes to this. There is a drop curtain which I have open much of the time and not a door like in a 22. The thru hull exit is just forward of the window, which I sometimes open when I am fishing. I would think that the smell would not be noticeable in the 22. I can not smell the fuel in the tank even when I'm in the V-berth with my head only a few feet from the tank. H
I think this maybe be an apples to oranges thing. Hopefully someone with a 22 cruiser that has a 1300 or an 1800 will better answer your questions.

Robbi

2003 C-Dory 19
sold 2019

2004 C-Dory 16 Cruiser
Sold 8/2015

2004 C-Dory 19 "C-Run"
Sold 8/2011

1989 C-Dory 16 Angler
Sold 2010
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: