View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Video-Mokai cruise Khaz Bay 2012 Reply with quote

This is a video of a 14 mile round trip Mokai cruise I made from where we were anchored in Waterfall Cove, Khaz Bay to the head of Slocum Arm of Khaz Bay. The Mokai broke down & I had to paddle it most of the way back to the Hunkydory. There was a high mountain range between where I broke down in Slocum Arm & where the Hunkydory was anchored, so I could not reach Jo-Lee by vhf radio. Its a very remote wilderness area located on the Gulf of Alaska side of Chichagof Island about 45 miles north of Sitka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugQQ5fMQk80&feature=vmdshb

Jay

Lovewater

City/Region: pnw
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful. Thank you.
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Video-Mokai cruise Khaz Bay 2012 Reply with quote

Jay,
Great videos, how did you fix fuel leak? Did you have to get a part sent in from New York? Thats a lot of paddling I guess the handheld radio would not go the distance? Doesn't the sun ever shine up there?
D.D.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, great video--especially enjoyed the triplets! That is most unusual. You have to be in shape to make that paddle back "home".

You were very fortunate that the current and wind were behind you. I carry a PLB, rather than a SPOT (I just consider it more reliable if there is a real emergency (especially after the situation where the authorities were not notified of an alarm, off North Coronado Island. Who would SPOT contact and verify with your wife in a remote area of AK?)

I also carried sweat pants, an extra hooded sweat shirt, and a space blanket when in remote areas of small craft--along with enough food and water to last for at least 24 hours & survival gear...I'll admit I got caught above a reversing fall, when I had helped another small boat get out and by the time we had lined it out, it was too shoal for met to get my boat out. But at least the other boat contacted Marie and told her I was safe, and would be home when the tide came back in early the next morning.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, the fuel leak was from a simple compression fitting failure on the fuel line where it connects to the carburetor. Had a spare back on the C-Dory, so no wait to fix. Yes, there were times we were wondering if the sun would ever come out or the rainy days end, as some of the up coming video's will show we did get some very appreciated blue sky days.

Bob, I put the wrong arm of Khaz Bay in my introduction to this video. I went in the Mokai from our anchorage in Whitewater Cove north up Slocum Arm then east up Falcon Arm of Khaz Bay, so on the start of the return, when the fuel leak occurred, I had almost a two mile paddle into the wind & tide. Could only make head way by hugging the shore & paddling very hard. Once I made it back out to Slocum Arm, I had the wind & tide at my back the rest of the way to the Hunkydory. I was not in very good physical shape, so it took more mental toughness than physical to keep going & I was definitely hurting the next few days.

This was the only time in the three month cruise I took the SPOT with me. Normally I leave it with Jolee, so if she has an emergency while I'm gone or if I don't return she can hit the emergency help button which should start the process of having the Coast Guard notified, that we have an emergency & our location at the time. Perhaps a PLB would be better, but I only carry the SPOT or in the past a Sat Phone because of the responsibility of having Jolee with me. I have spent many years on solo adventures with no possibility of help from outside sources & think that creates more self reliance. I now have very mixed feelings on the easy availability of the push a button exit from what for many are self created life threatening emergencies. You in no way fit in this category & I totally respect your self reliance & opinion of what you think is best for you & others. I do carry insurance for Jolee & I for emergency medical evacuation.

I did also have in the Mokai food & other safety gear, but forgot to bring along my rain pants. On many outings in the Mokai I wear my Mustang Suit bibs & jacket with neoprene boots, which wet or dry provides excellent protection over a extended period of time.

Lovewater, your welcome.

Jay
20dauntless

City/Region: Mercer Island and Decatur Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Retriever and Nordic Tug 37
Photos: Retriever
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, I've enjoyed watching your videos. Lots of places to visit next time in Alaska!

For anyone thinking that the sun doesn't shine much in Alaska, here's a picture from Tracy Arm on one of the (few) sunny days in SE Alaska last summer. The night before I had anchored next to Jay and JoLee and taken Jay's Mokai out for a spin. It's definitely the ultimate C-Dory tender.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay,
I am going to make this a separate thread--SPOT vs EPRIB--which should be revisited.

We both agree that electronics devices do not substitute for proper preparation and skills. The proliferation of electronic rescue devices may cause some to take untoward risks, but also it may hasten the rescue and the survival of persons who are disabled, stranded or lost.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: