The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Need trailer for C-Dory 25
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mclaughlinrk

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Prop Duster
Photos: Prop Duster
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Need a trailer for Cdory 25 Reply with quote

I have been trolling this site for a couple of years and just became a happy owner of a 2006 Cdory 25. Does anyone have any suggestions on a trailer? I am on the East Coast near Richmond, VA.

Thanks!
stclairgal

City/Region: St Clair Shores
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Dragonfly
Photos: Dragonfly
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:27 pm    Post subject: Trailer for 25 Cruiser Reply with quote

Hi there,
We also have been thinking of buying a trailer for our C-Dory. Venture trailers are fairly inexpensive and of good quality. We are about to buy a slightly used one, model 7225, here in Michigan. But Venture trailers are out of Baltimore, so very close to you!
Before we finalize our Venture trailer purchase, do any of you C-Brats have an opinion on Venture trailers?
Good luck!

Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer for 25 Cruiser Reply with quote

stclairgal wrote:
Hi there,
We also have been thinking of buying a trailer for our C-Dory. Venture trailers are fairly inexpensive and of good quality. We are about to buy a slightly used one, model 7225, here in Michigan. But Venture trailers are out of Baltimore, so very close to you!
Before we finalize our Venture trailer purchase, do any of you C-Brats have an opinion on Venture trailers?
Good luck!

I have a Venture trailer, VATB 8025 I believe, for my C-Dory 26 Venture
(coincidental naming by others).

It is an aluminum tandem trailer with rear bunks slotted for lifting straps. The
dealer added forward bunks to it before delivery (5/14) to support the mid and
forward sections of the boat better than the stock unit. There are surge brakes
which seem adequate and, when loaded, it tows just fine. No complaints. Cost
about $3600.

I had a triple axle Eagle painted steel trailer for a 28' powerboat previously.
Since I wanted to launch the C-Dory in salt water, I went aluminum for it.
The tandem trailer turns better at slow speed compared to the triple axle one
which also was difficult to launch with a fork lift (when a ramp wet launch was
not wanted or not available) due to no slotted bunks for lifting straps.

Happy towing.

Aye.

mclaughlinrk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Venture Quote Reply with quote

I was just quoted $3999 for a 8700lb trailer, is that overkill for the 25'?
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Venture Quote Reply with quote

mclaughlinrk wrote:
I was just quoted $3999 for a 8700lb trailer, is that overkill for the 25'?

I don't think so, weight-wise.

Triple or tandem axle?

Aluminum or steel?

Galvanized or painted, if steel?

Bunk or roller?

Surge brakes?

Discs or drums?

And on how many axles?

I bought a Venture aluminum 8600 lb triple axle bunk trailer with disc brakes on the front two axles for a little over $4000 back about 5-7 years ago.
Paid $600 to have it transported from Pennsylvania to Barstow, Ca where I picked it up.
Good trailer! (For my Sea Ray 265 Sedan Bridge.)

Sounds like you're in the ballpark!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the issues with trailers, is that the rated capacity is often the trailer and boat. So be sure that you are getting a trailer big enough. 8700 should be OK. But if you get a 6500 # trailer, then it will likely be too light duty.

If you are going to do any boating in Canada or going up or down mountains, then get Electric over hydraulic brakes. For example British Columbia will not allow trailers over 6,173lbs to have surge brakes (Brakes must be capable of application from the towing vehicle cab).

Any price under $4,000 is a good buy, but a lot depends on features on the trailer. You can get tandem axle trailers with capacity well over 10,000 lbs. There are common setups rated for 12,000 lbs.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
mclaughlinrk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject: Venture 8725 Reply with quote

The trailer is an aluminum Venture 8725 with bunks and surge brakes. We are all the way down in Richmond, VA so the towing issue in Canada should not be an issue for us.

Can Venture really modify this trailer to work for the C-dory? Will the dealer have to make custom mods after it arrives to support the bow? The stock trailer photos show the bunks being lower than the fenders and I know that will not work.

Thanks!
CaptainWanabe

City/Region: Guntersville
State or Province: AL
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: What trailer is needed for 2018 Sequoia? Reply with quote

Howdy,
Would anyone recommend towing a Venture 26 with a 2018 Toyota Sequoia? My wife loves the Sequoia and we spent so much money on it. I really do not want to have to buy another vehicle to tow the boat. I have not even bought the boat yet because I cannot afford it yet. I just need to know what I am faced with. Is there a possibility to get a special trailer with brakes that would make it legal to pull this boat with the Sequoia?

Thanks
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. The tow capacity of the 2018 Sequoia is 7,000 to 7,400 lbs. The higher capacity is with the 2 wheel drive. Generally the Venture 26 will be in the 8,000# arena including a good trailer. The engine is adequate in the Sequoia, but the springs are just not up to the load. The GCWR is 13,600 lbs. the vehicular weight is 5,695 to 6,000 lbs depending on trim and drive train capacity. This does not leave much for carrying capacity if you at the limit (and I believe that you will be over the limit, unless the boat has no water, fuel, or many supplies etc.

You should use electric over hydraulic brakes for any of the lighter tow vehicles, and really should probably use on all of the larger boats for safety. If you go into Canada you are required to have "cab operated brakes".

I was towing with a Yukon XL with capacity of 8,000 lbs and felt it was marginal. I had added air bags. Went to 2500 Ford and a world of difference.

If you were only going a few miles to a ramp--OK--but if there was an accident, and it was determined that you were over capacity, things may not be in your favor.

The Ford Excursion, which used to be made with 3/4 ton chassis and 7.3 L Diesel engine was a good tow vehicle for the 25/26. But these are no longer made.
CaptainWanabe

City/Region: Guntersville
State or Province: AL
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Towing with Sequoia Reply with quote

Thanks, Thataway, for taking the time to respond. I appreciate the advice. I really want to make sure I have a safe towing vehicle. I may need to work on coaxing the wife to agree to something else Confused
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing this thread back to life for more current information. I'm now looking for a new trailer for C-Traveler, and have pretty much narrowed it down to the Load Rite -AB26T8400102LTB2, or the Venture Command series, COM 8100. I've found dealers with very competitive prices on both trailers, coming in right around $7000 for the options I want. Here's the advantages and disadvantages I'm looking at.
The Load Rite has a slot in the aft bunk for placing a sling strap thru that the others don't have. LR also has what appears to be a 5 year warranty on the main frame, 2 yrs on everything else. Venture just has the standard 2 year warranty. Both will come with EOH disc brakes, the upright load pole in the back and stainless steel hardware. The Venture comes with Aluminum wheels standard, but I'm perfectly fine with the galvanized wheels. (Don't need a showy wheel to tempt thieves!) The big kicker here is I can pick the Venture up 90 miles away near Milwaukee. The Load Rite would require a drive one way of 905 to 1300 miles, depending on where I chose to pick it up. Guess it's not a big deal. Both manufacturers have a 8-12 week lead time right now, and it might be good to go on a road trip in Jan or Feb. I like that Load Rite has special channels to run their wiring and brake lines in, while I'm not sure how Venture runs their wiring. And do the channels hide the wire and lines from view making it harder to inspect them. I thought about EZ-Loader earlier, as that is what I had under Midnight Flyer, and that trailer worked well. However, I just haven't been able to get many replies back on pricing, and those that I got were much higher. (I suspect dealer markup.) SO anyone here with experience with the newer Venture Command series trailers, or their customer service. Major Tom did mention to me in another thread about the lousy customer service he got with Load Rite. I do like the idea of getting the trailer from a local dealer (will not so local, but at least in the same state), that stocks parts for that trailer. And as I understand many of these trailers are just manufactured with the same parts, but put together by different companies. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw some better pictures of the Venture COM 8100. Looks to me like the bunks are similar to those on my Karavan. Edge up. That has pretty much made my mind up on the Load Rite if those photos were accurate. (I think the Load Rite style is much easier to adjust...)
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, My Load Rite is identical to Tom's. I much prefer the flat board bunks--ve the on edge, which is more geared for the deep V crowd. My target bunks just barely take the load.

I have not had any issues with the trailer--time for new seals...but other wise, there is a full ground system, it does tie to the trailer frame, but also full grounds. The stand off's are robust, And I have mounted a second set of lights on them.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob. I'm still leaning heavily on ordering the Load Rite from Enterprise near Orlando. Then likely pick it up at one of the two factory locations in either PA or NC. The PA one is closer to me, but my wife has a good friend that wouldn't be to far out of the way in NC. Otherwise, I could work it out with our trek down to Hontoon. EZ-Loader does have some dealers around Wisconsin, and I found one in the Dells that's suppose to get back to me with pricing. If I found an EZ-Loader dealer in state here that offered the cut rate pricing, I'd probably stay with that brand as I had good luck with Midnight Flyer's trailer. But some earlier quotes I got from big boat dealers came in quite a bit higher. Dealer markup I'm sure... Either way, I really want to make a decision by the end of the week, so I can get something on order so as to have it before March. Colby
Desert Dory

City/Region: Tucson
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Desert Dory
Photos: Desert Dory
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Colby, did you happen to look into Owens and Sons custom trailers in St. Petersburg FL?

The guys over on The Hull Truth rave about Owens and Sons quality and customer service whenever someone brings up questions about buying a new trailer.

Just another option for you since it seems like you don't mind road tripping to get something nice. And, if you're doing Hontoon anyway, it's not all that much further. Allen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: