City/Region: Torrance
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had some work done last week by Steve and David Nelson of SOS Marine
http://socal-marine-diesel-repair.com/index.html on No Pressure. They replaced the impellers, thermostats and spark plugs from each motor as well as changing motor and lower gear oil and replacing oil filters and high and low pressure gas filters. They also repaired a sticky latch on an engine cowling and installed a new throttle cable.
They drove nearly 100 miles each way to come to our marina, yet were there when they said they would be. We took the boat out yesterday and it ran better than it has in a long time.
If you have a boat in Southern California I highly recommend SOS Marine for any needed repairs or maintenance.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in at Rodgers Marine today, getting a new VHF antenna and a bit of information on my C80 transducer. Marty B was very helpful, and generous with time.

Oh, the antenna was less than the West Marine price!

Lizarry

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Anytime Baby
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject: wallas Reply with quote

When wife and I bought the formerly named Dreamer from the gentleman in SOCAL that Roger had sold it to, we were told that the stove was not working... As don't know a whole lot about the stove. I talked to Roger about it and then did as he suggested and pulled stove, as we were going to be in Seattle anyways we took it to scan marine to have them go through it .... they cleaned and checked stove out, replaced glow plug, bottom mat, and thermal element + gasket. then shipped stove back to us. they were very friendly and very helpful.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really can't say whether Sea Star/Teleflex has good customer service or not, because it's too hard to connect with them!

I did a bunch of reading and research about which hydraulic steering system I would want, but still had a couple of questions (i.e. not just being too lazy to do my own research first). I looked up the contact info on their web page, and the hydraulic steering contact number is in Canada (no USA number). My cell plan doesn't allow international calling. So, I called the toll-free USA number for a the engine department. I explained the situation and why I had called their department, and asked if they could get me connected in any way to the hydraulic steering division. Their answer "Everyone else in the US seems perfectly able to call Canada. Maybe a Teleflex steering system is not really for you." Great. You know, I had a question about a Vetus product the other day, and I did not have to call The Netherlands.

They did give me a more roundabout way to try get in touch with them, and so I'm doing that (fill out form with all my personal details, they may call me back) but this doesn't really give me a warm fuzzy customer service feeling. Sure glad I am not out on the water with a problem (of course I would try to find local service, but I do like the option to call a company and speak to someone if I need to).

/vent off

Sunbeam
redbaronace

City/Region: Puget Sound
Photos: redbaronace (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
I really can't say whether Sea Star/Teleflex has good customer service or not, because it's too hard to connect with them!

I did a bunch of reading and research about which hydraulic steering system I would want, but still had a couple of questions (i.e. not just being too lazy to do my own research first). I looked up the contact info on their web page, and the hydraulic steering contact number is in Canada (no USA number). My cell plan doesn't allow international calling. So, I called the toll-free USA number for a the engine department. I explained the situation and why I had called their department, and asked if they could get me connected in any way to the hydraulic steering division. Their answer "Everyone else in the US seems perfectly able to call Canada. Maybe a Teleflex steering system is not really for you." Great. You know, I had a question about a Vetus product the other day, and I did not have to call The Netherlands.

They did give me a more roundabout way to try get in touch with them, and so I'm doing that (fill out form with all my personal details, they may call me back) but this doesn't really give me a warm fuzzy customer service feeling. Sure glad I am not out on the water with a problem (of course I would try to find local service, but I do like the option to call a company and speak to someone if I need to).

/vent off

Sunbeam

If you get a google voice phone number, you can call canada for free with an internet connection.
1TUBERIDER

City/Region: Crescent City
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I needed service to leaking tilt trim unit, lower unit seal, electrical issues and misc other.
In our area we do not have much for repair facilities. I asked the guys, a marine mechanic and the guys at a marine retail store where to go. No one recommended Eureka or Medford. I did get a recommendation from the marine mechanic to go to Coos Bay Marine.
I called them and set up a service date. I arrived and they checked the boat but in less than two hours they said they had to order parts. Sent me home in time to surf really good Hubbard Creek.
I waited three weeks for the completion. It was a parts issue but when the parts arrived I had my boat back in a few days.
I am happy with the service and the fee. The mechanic repaired instead of selling me new units. The repairs are holding up well.

I had to drive 3 hours for the service. I am glad it is right and I would recommend
to anyone Coos Bay Marine.

Chester

City/Region: home
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outdoor Research (OR) makes high end out door gear.
My 20+ year old Seattle Sombrero started leaking after being in the rain for an hour.
They replaced it promptly, no questions asked. All I have to do is send in the old one. Thumbs Up
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wefings got on the job and got me a Magic Tilt trailer part in good time. They always answer their phone promptly.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Performance Marine, Everett. Had a problem with the trim/tilt. It would not function and a fuse blew. I replaced the fuse and still no power. Checked what I could in my driveway (and this was an hour before my big work-buddy, weekend crabbing trip we do each year).

Called them and they told me it was a "three week turnaround" they were so busy. I dropped if off anyway and went out with the boys. Two hours after I dropped it off, it was done. A quick fix and they had a mechanic look at it right away, instead of just parking it. Thumbs Up

Pandion

City/Region: Kenmore
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:49 am    Post subject: Lets keep track of Good and Bad Customer Service Reply with quote

I did a terrible thing a couple of months ago: tried to pull my C-22 with its high radar arch under the Burlington Northern bridge next to Golden Gardens in Seattle. There are several signs warning of the low railroad bridge; but it's a narrow, winding road and my knuckles were white, my eyes were glued to the road ... and I just didn't see those signs.

The resulting impact removed my radar and spotlight, bent my radar arch, and put a big crack between the cabin top and the side walls. If you haven't done something like this, you can't imagine how stupid it's possible to feel. It wasn't quite the Exxon Valdez, but I was feeling a deep sense of kinship with Joe Hazelwood.

I can't remember having an insurance claim in my life, and I really didn't expect that such a colossal blunder would be covered. But it was; and I was incredibly fortunate to have the assistance of a group of wonderful people who helped put my poor little boat back together again:

--My brokers, Anchor Marine Underwriters, on Mercer Island, were immediately responsive and set the restoration process in motion within minutes of getting my call. I thought they were great when I bought my policy from them, and I REALLY think they're great after the way they came through for me. Sam Landback sold me the policy, but everyone I worked with there was great.

--ACE Recreational Marine Claims was my insurer, and claims adjuster Anne Beeler was just about the nicest person I've ever met. ACE is in Maryland, and I'm in Washington state; but Anne held my hand all the way through the process, reassured me, offered sage advice on how to find good craftsmen to fix the boat ... and you know what? They made me whole. Wow! Thanks again, Anne!

--Mike Carder, of Lakota Marine, in Everett, rebuilt my cabin roof, by hand. It was really messed up. And now it looks brand new. Mike--and everyone else I'm going to mention in this post--was scrupulously honest and efficient. The crew at Lakota are top notch, their prices are fair, and I highly recommend them.

--Railmakers, in Everett, built me a beautiful new radar arch, that's even better than the original. Fast service, fair prices, great people to deal with.

--Tim Caudill and his wonderful crew at Cascade Marine, in Everett, advised me throughout the process, and they are part of the reason I didn't shoot myself. Tim and his guys were compassionate, realistic, fair, patient, funny. They took care of me, you know? They didn't make me feel like a dipshit, in spite of the ample evidence of my dipshittedness. Cascade did all of the electrical work (and there was a lot; all of the electronics had to be replaced). I will be going back to them whenever I need electrical or mechanical work performed on my boat.

Thanks to all you wonderful professionals for doing your jobs so well.

Andy Ryan

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy-

Wow!

What a story!

Could have been titled Murphy's Law Meets the Underpass, or simply S--- Happens!

Nice report and interesting reading.

Sounds like you hit the jackpot on caring and professional help in time of need.

Glad everything worked out for you!

Nust have cost in the neighborhood of $10-15K, I'd guess.

Take care and enjoy your "new" boat.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos to Westside Marine in Port Townsend (Yamaha dealer, www.westsidemarine.com), and especially Mark, their fantastic mechanic.

Back story: I have my Yamaha 80 off the boat right now so that I can seal the transom core along with a couple other improvements (see Sunbeam ~22 Cruiser thread if you want to know more). I found I needed longer top bolts now, so I called Westside and Mark put a couple aside for me. I went in to pick them up today and we got to chatting. See, I had earlier ordered, paid for, and picked up a pair of new valves for my trim/tilt mechanism which was slowly sinking when left up. I was going to bring it in to Westside for them to fix it, but was waiting until I finished my transom work. Reason is that they need to take the engine off the boat to install the new valves, and I wanted to do my stuff first so that once they put it back on it after the valve repair it would be "on for good" and I wouldn't have to immediately undo their sealant.

Anyway, as we were chatting he said, "Wait, so you have the engine off the boat right now?" "Yep." "Well you can install those valves yourself then... wait a minute..." He went in back and copied me off a diagram, and then brought it out and explained how to remove the old valves and put the new ones in. Apparently they just basically screw out/in, and self bleed. The only reason it is complicated is that you have to get the engine away from the transom to get the screwdriver in and get the valves in and out.

So, presuming I can get this done on my own, it saves me a 3-hour round trip over to their shop, plus having to either wait all day or drop off the boat and pick it up another day. Sweet! Even if I do end up having to bring it in, I really appreciate him explaining how I could give it a go.

To top if off, he waved away payment for the bolts when went to pay for them (apparently they don't always use the longer ones, so they had some extras on hand). And then I got on the 1:15 ferry as the last car (my reservation was for 2 p.m.). (He didn't orchestrate that, but still Very Happy)
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Kudos to Sportcraft & EZ Loader Reply with quote

I picked up my new tandem axle trailer today, and I love it. Much different tow and ride than the old single axle. Very smooth, tracks beautifully, and no pronounced chunk when you hit a bump.

As always, a great customer experience with the crew at Sportcraft. I primarily worked with Tim, but also a bit with Ryan. They are great. Brian, one of the mechanics helped me move the boat on to the new trailer. We had to go down to the old Sportcraft launch site to do that, and 99E was a mess with traffic, so special kudos to Brian.

Allan at EZ Loader had it ready to go first thing this morning. He was very helpful getting me familiar with the new stuff. I was surprised how much different things like the brake mechanism and winch were when compared to the old trailer. Good job EZ Loader!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spent the weekend at Bell Harbor Marina and have to say the service was excellent. Although I had called for a reservation, and was told they didn't have room (maybe due to the Seahawks game on Thursday night, they let me sneak in for a bit to visit some friends, then extended that stay for lunch. Checking back, later in the evening they "found" a place that I could fit into, and I got the night, even thought they were expecting a 135 ft yacht in they were cordial and helpful.

Patti and crew there get Thumbs Up Thumbs Up and a trip back for sure. (She did tell me that there was something in the wind about Ranger Tugs coming.)

Bell Harbor Marine, Alaskan Way, Seattle. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk at Peterson Marine (Seattle area) installed a complete Lowrance system at my location 2 years ago. Today he spent a good deal of time with me and Lowrance in identifying a bad radome. His install was real professional and clean.

Good guys

http://petersonmarine.com/

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: