View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the duplicate Embarassed ; by the time I noticed it the 30 minutes editing time had passed.
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coronado is so nice. We are feeling very much at home. Just booked another week in the marina so we can explore the area $22 a night includes power. Really nice. Our neighbor has a 65 ft custom steel trawler he bought in the Netherlands 7 years ago and cruised 5 years in the med and then crossed under his own power to the Antigua Then shipped to Nanaimo so he could cruise to Coronado. He is envious of our simple little boat. He has so much to keep running and 80 tons to look after.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure appreciate the sharing of your travels. The cost of staying in the Marina there in Coronado is just amazing to me. It's actually less expensive then Yellowstone by the week. Has me thinking it might be a place we could stay for a while during our cold winters here.

Jay

BaseCampAnne

City/Region: San Diego/Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SEA COASTER
Photos: SEA COASTER
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Travels with Kerry On Reply with quote

Piggy backing on what George and Carolyn are experiencing...

After 6 weeks, I cannot say enough about how wonderful it is living on the water here in San Diego. The weather is delightful, the waterfowl, the interesting little shops all around here on Shelter Island (and probably elsewhere) and the other liveaboards all contribute to a wonderful lifestyle here. We have 44 liveaboards in this marina and each has a different story. In addition to working people and families with school age children, our marina has retired singles and couples who are living aboard. I find the folks here are perhaps more chatty than I did those at Anacortes this summer, but there were no real liveaboards at Cap Sante, which is a big difference.

Gus and I will return to the NW this spring for 6 months or perhaps more, and appreciate the open space up there much more after the limited waters of San Diego Bay, yet find this a wonderful change of weather with options to see and visit interesting places.

The Coast Guard Auxiliary flotillas here are involved in a wide variety of activities and most welcoming. I have found folks from the PNW here on the docks, in the marine shops, and out and about.

Since my son and his young family live here I had looked at renting a small apt. or in a mobile home park for a few months the past two winters, but found the prices very high and leases were required. The marina situation for winter seems to be ideal for us who do not want to be here in the summer, when slips are much harder to find. AZ folks, whom are called "Zonies" by the locals, apparently come here to escape the summer heat, joining the thousands of area boaters who are out playing on the water then.

Unlike much more knowledgeable and adventurous George and Carolyn, the dog and I did not pull the boat, nor drive the coast route on our way south. Cascadia was delivered by a fellow from Everett who regularly moves Range Tugs and used his pickup. I admire all those who move their own boats, but don't feel up to it.

After repairing, emptying out the house, cleaning and packing, the trip south on I-5 was straightforward, with lots of wide open vistas, and yet the small places we stopped were fine. Hopefully on the way north our route will go through Yosemite if the falls are running or perhaps the Redwoods.

Given the fact that I had lived in the LA area and had no desire to return, we stayed in a Motel 6 on the Grapevine before getting to the huge sprawling LA Basin, and beginning @ 9:30 am motored through what seemed like an unending maze of off-ramps for several hours, arriving here midday, and settling in before dark.

If any C-Brats come this way and are interested in a Tug ride around the Bay, I plan to be here till late March, or possibly later, so drop an email and you can see what life is like here Very Happy

Cascadia, Ranger Tug 29
Sea Coaster, 2008 22 C-Dory, sold 8-11
ghone

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been at the marina in Glorietta Bay all of December and plan to be here till after Christmas we are enjoying the area immensely . There is much to see and do, but mostly just to be. There is a small town feel to Coronado that is refreshing and remarkable as to how they managed it. The big city is across the bridge but seems a long way away. The folks here are friendly and the climate is nice. We had our first rain overnight and today. The marina is really well situated just a short stroll to the village. We find we are sampling the cafes along Orange ave and all the shops are interesting. Being aboard in the marina beats the accommodation ashore. While the Del Coronado is beautiful it would be prohibitive to be there long. Starbucks in the lobby is 100% more than up the street 3 blocks. And on it goes. Prices in the Village are very reasonable. We will head east a ways after Xmas. More later. George and Carolyn
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George,

Good to hear you are enjoying the warn south coast. Sounds like you are in a good place. Enjoy.

Will keep watching for your posts.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Cview

City/Region: Phoenix
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-VIEW II
Photos: C-VIEW
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George,

Where are you parking your truck and trailer while your boat is in the marina? I know there is a boat ramp nearby, but I thought the parking was limited.

We're in San Diego staying on our sailboat in the Kona Kai marina. We leave on Monday. We're babysitting our grandson this weekend. You might want to catch the holiday boat parade which is this Sunday evening.

Tony

ghone

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there. Parking is pretty easy. The city has a 72 hour parking ordanance. We just parked on the state highway across from the marina. Lots of cars park there and it's close and legal. Chris (rana verde) was very kind to us and we met up one day and he took our trailer home to his property. So we then just park in the marina parking. Makes it a lot easier to go explore without a trailer. Thank you Chris! C brats are extraordinary freinds. We are exploring the area thouroughly.
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So glad you guys are in SD Bay for awhile -- such a delightful area this time of year. And, yes, Chris was also a great friend and help for us when cruising in 'his' area. Best wishes to you --
ghone

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not all fun and games out cruising! Carolyn started last week to have a rumbly tummy and headache and plumbing issues. She was a trooper for a couple days doing mommy home remedies she's used on kids then when we were shopping Saturday said "let's go to the hospital". I had been leaning on her to go for a couple days. After a bunch of blood was taken and samples from here and there, the doc announces she's on the back end of the very nasty Norwalk virus that's going around. It''s a 48-72 hour heavy duty bug. He prescribed some pills that he said was really more for me than her as she was near through. $128 for 20 pills. Yowza. Peaceful nite was had, then about noon Sunday I am having issues. Right away on the drugs!! About 36 hours later I am almost normal. (Whatever that is, remember nearly normal Norman from Ocean Falls). Tired and achy and no energy is the course of the thing with plumbing issues. Carolyn is having a relapse today as she got too aggressive with food too soon. Slow and easy on the solids. Your hydration gets knocked bad with this one. I gotta say I was impressed with the hospital ER. Non rushed, quiet, very thorough and they took our info on our BC medical and extensive travel insurance. We got $10 million in coverage for this year The only plan thru BCAA. Could get a whole new body. They let us walk out the door no money changing hands. I am sure it was a pricey visit and our deductible is to be paid on billing but one hears stories about hospitals and this one was really nice to have to go to. Very caring people. So another day of rest and fluids Carolyn should be back up. My temperatures and pressures are in the green so I'm good. The doctor said Coronado is rampant with flu right now as it is almost a cruise ship atmosphere town. A short strip of shops with a lot of folks doing short visits, restaurants, restrooms etc. this flu is identical to the one cruise ships are infamous for, only this new version is tougher. We go cruising and traveling to see the sights and enjoy new areas, and with that comes change and exposure. It ain't all fun but it is worth it. George and Carolyn. CoolSmile
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George, Jolee & know exactly what you & Carolyn are experiencing. It's bad enough at home or in a motel, but on a 22 foot C-Dory pure hell. We went through it on the tail end of our 2010 trip while boater camping on the way home. Neither of us had been so sick in a very long time. Uncontrollable vomiting & diarrhea sometimes at the same time. Even though the main effects were short term it took several months getting totally back. A reoccurrence of it while on the boat is one of our biggest fears while cruising.

Sure hope you both get back to feeling well soon,

Jay
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi George,

Sorry to hear you both got that bug. We have had the upper-respiratory bug around here which does not sound as bad. I have heard of a couple people with similar flue so hope we don't get that one.

I have also been in the Coronado hospital. When you are sick, it is so nice when the hospital and staff make things easier for you.

Hope you both get well soon,
Steve
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I went on a trip with the Boy Scouts about 10-11 year ago, the whole group of us came down with Norwalk virus at Philmont. We had to delay our 50 mile hike and cut the front end of it short by a couple of days. While the illness only lasted a couple of days, it was a couple of the worst days I've had in my entire life. Glad that you're over it and on to better times!
ghone

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, Yes we're doing great. Jay I would really not want to deal with the flu or anything else while on the road. Folks asked us all the time "what if you get sick? No house? We always figured if we were on the road we'd grab a cheap motel for a few days till we felt better. Cruising generally makes one more healthy I've noticed....but every once in a while. wham. But now having done it at least in a warm place in a nice marina, I was not tempted to get a motel. Since filling the berth across the back and adding a full size 3 " foam mattress, that bunk is THE most comfortable boat bunk I have ever had. We directed the little 110v heater toward the bunk and threw in 2 hot water bottles and slept. It was so nice to have all our stuff right at hand. Prescriptions, kleenex hot water etc. The inconvenience of spending a couple days ashore didn't cross my mind. We have to eat a pretty bland diet for a few days but we usually do anyway so it's not too bad. Merry Christmas everyone!! George and Carolyn.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George glad you're both better or at least on the mend. Merry Christmas and healthy holidays to you both. Travel safely!

Charlie and Sally

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: