The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Got trailer for Mae-C

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Storm Dog

City/Region: Biloxi
State or Province: MS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mae-C
Photos: Mae-C
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Got trailer for Mae-C Reply with quote

Hey all,

Picked up a Magic Trail trailer for the Dory, the used trailer dealer said would be good for 25' 7500lb Dory. I need to set up bunks for the boat. Does anyone know the size, angle, and spacing of the bunks for a C25? The pictures of the trailer are in my album. I'm thinking 2 15' bunks for the center and 2 12' bunks for the outer. Has anyone bought marine grade lumber from a yard that is correct dimensional? IE, 2 x 8 that really measures 2 x 8? They would be a little thicker to hold the weight better. I need a new jack, and a couple caps for the hubs. And what is the difference in height between the center bunks vs the outer bunks. With only accounting for a 4 degree deadrise, I wouldn't expect much rise in the bunks. I realize there are no brakes but I'll only be going back and forth to the ramp less than 1 mile away. And any other suggestions.

Glenn
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glen congratulations for finding a trailer for the C Dory 25.
What are you towing it with?

Trailer service brakes: Unfortunately I disagree about not needing brakes on the highway--even if only a mile. If it was stored in a yard by the ramp or a lift you could get away with it. The problem is not necessarily you, but some idiot who either stops in front of you suddenly or cuts across in front, a child, etc... I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Mississippi law:

Quote:
Every trailer carrying over one ton, when operated upon a highway, shall be equipped with brakes adequate to control the movement thereof and to stop and to hold such vehicle, and so designed to be applied by the driver of the towing motor vehicle from its cab; said brakes shall be so designed and connected that in case of an accidental breakaway of the towed vehicle, the brakes shall be automatically applied.

That verbiage implies operation of the brakes from the truck. Ie electric or electric over hydraulic. (Similar to Canadian laws but for vehicles over 6800 lbs. You probably want to check with the Miss. Hwy Patrol or DOT if surge brakes are legal in Mississippi. I suspect that they are, and it is possible that there could be an exception for Boat trailers.

Bunks: The bunks which are on the trailer are set up for a deep V. The also go aft by some distance from the frame of the trailer, where much of the weight of the boat is on the C Dory. This is why the current bunks are doubled planks set on edge.

Most trailers just require treated wood, not marine grade immersion treatment. I have never used immersion grade, but #1 lumber. The bunks on my lift are marine grade. The marine treated are up to 2.50 pcf for saltwater immersion. Soil treatment is only 0.40 pcf. You can find #1 grade pressure treated marine salt water immersion at any dock builder. They will most likely be true dimensional, and quite expensive. I understand your concern with the support and agree. The position of the axles is potentially an issue also, for proper tongue weight. You want the boat as far forward on the trailer as possible because of that long unsupported overhand--which is managed on the boat which was on it, by the lumber on edge--your lumber will be flat, and will require different hangers. (Trailer supply).

I know that "Sport Trail" 5232 US-90, Bay St Louis, MS 39520, is one of the best trailer makers on the Gulf Coast--I don't know if they would help you do the proper conversion or not.

I will try and measure my bunks and the difference, with some photos, I'll send to you by PM later today of my "Load Rite" 8500# capacity trailer and its setup. Ideally you want some target bunks forward. The roller there is good, but not adequate for loading and there is some risk of hull damage if the proper bunks are not in place.

You will also want to put carpet and perhaps slicks on the foreword bunks depending on the ramp. You can use Indoor/ Outdoor carpet from Lowes. Be sure and use Monel Metal staples. SS will often rust and more likely to fail, because the salt is held against the staples by the bunk cover material as it drys and reaches high concentrations. Always good to wash the trailer off after a salt water launch.

You also want to repack the bearings and check the bearings to see if they need replacing. A pretty good chance that the seals will need replacing also.

You want to be sure that the tires are less than 5 years old. I am running Goodyear Endurance trailer tires. If possible cover the tires with plywood or some tarp material to keep from UV deterioration.

Adjusting bunks: (the boat which was on that trailer has stringers--the C Dory does not.) This will make some difference in what is necessary for support of the C Sory 25. The prime question is if the C Dory will fit below the trailer fenders (between) or must go above them. Again, I'll try and check out the distance between later today. I have had boats which had only fractions of an inch of trailer clearance. In that case, side bunks are necessary. You also want heavy duty "Guide ons". Galvanized spare pipe, bent at about 80* angle and covered with PVC pipe to help center the stern, and give a reference as you bring the boat onto the trailer.

I like to get the trailer on one set of bunks initially, and then jack the other set to fit snug against the hull. Then readjust the other bunks to fit the counter of the hull. It is not flat. One single bottle jack and some cribbing or even a concrete block will suffice for support of the jack used to adjust the bunks.. There is a very slight "arc" to the C Dory bottom, and you want full support along the entire arc. Ie no air showing between the bunks and boat. The exception are the target bunks.

You will also need to adjust the winch post to fit your boat. I'll send photos of that also.

Have fun building out the trailer!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: