The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

New Tires and Valve Stems, Metal vs Rubber
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JMacLeod

City/Region: Stuart
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C-Shalom
Photos: JMacLeod
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One additional consideration is that some trailer tire pressure monitoring kits are only recommended for metal stems.

Found that out while researching the TST kit we finally put on our rubber stems.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left those Les Schawb tyres behind a couple of years ago. For several years running we were towing up to the PNW from San Diego and would have to stop in Redding to replace several blown tyres at good ol'e Les. And when we went to Lake Powell, I had to change several of Les's tyres next to a busy freeway. They had a Les Schawb in St. George, UT and they cheerfully replaced the tyres under the guarantee. I really got tired of changing those Les Schawb tyres by the side of a busy freeway and spending a morning in some small town having Les replace them. I really, really wanted tyres the weren't guaranteed against blowouts but were guaranteed against blowing out. Some of those tyres were 2 years old.

I finally realized that the tyres on my truck weren't blowing out but actually wearing out (over 25,000 miles) and got some truck tyres on the trailer. The last couple of years were good, but the true test will come on the next long trip.

Sorry I can't complain about any physical problems except worrying about the semis running over my legs. And AAA not finding us by the side of US 80 when I couldn't get the damn lug nuts off. Oh, and unpacking the back of the truck each time we went north of Sacramento to get at the spare. And I've had real good luck with metal stems.

Boris
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I continue to run Carlisle trailer tires on my trailer, without problem and have been happy with them. I've used both rubber and metal stems. I tend to put enough annual mileage on them, that I get about 5 or 6 years before I need to replace them. (That's about 50,000-60,000 miles) Last year I purchased load range D off of Amazon for about $65/each. And yes the date code showed they were 2019 tires. (Prior to that I was running LR C). I also use Anti-seeze compound on the lugnuts and a torgue wrench set to the proper torgue. I still maintain it's the proper maintenance and speed driven that makes the difference in the tire's life. Also, like many things mechanical, just sitting is not good for them either.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Carlisle on my Cargo trailer, (tandem axle) and they are due to change next year. It does not get the miles that the boat trailer does, and is not carrying a 40K load. That is part of why I brought this thread back. Just looking a cost effectiveness in the long run.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy whatever trailer tires Tractor Supply sells. They may be Carlisle, but whatever they are, they work fine.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read up in the thread that tire shops just impact them on...or about. Most tire shops will use something called a torque stick that limits how tight you can get a lug nut - it looks like a regular old extension, but it is not one. I have a few myself and are surprisingly accurate.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those thinking the tire shop is basting wheels on with impacts:

https://www.floorjackshop.com/torque-sticks-what-are-they-and-do-i-need-one/
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I change and rotate a lot of tires myself. On my truck the M&S tires get rotated once a year, on my Escape I switch between M&S tires and winter Ice tires in October and April. On my trailers I make a point of rotating the tires annually. On the trailers I like to rotate the tire not only for increased tire life, but the check the hubs and brakes. I use an air wrench to remove and install the lug nuts. Each time I change a tire clean up the studs with a wire brush and coat them with a little bit of Copper Coat anti seize agent. This works really well. Then once I reinstall the wheel, I will tighten the lug nuts with a torque wrench. After a short drive, perhaps 50 kms I will recheck the lug nuts with the torque wrench again. It has been years since I have had a flat on any of my vehicles, and I have never had a flat while pulling a trailer, so I am lucky. I did have a flat in December in Chile, but that is a different story. Someone put a knife into the sidewall of our rental car tire at a viewpoint and then tried to rob us a km down the road when we realized we had a flat.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:
For those thinking the tire shop is basting wheels on with impacts:

https://www.floorjackshop.com/torque-sticks-what-are-they-and-do-i-need-one/

Thanks for that info:

I'll have to check out the local tire shops. But I have had the service trucks put on the tires when flats occurred, with just an impact wrench. Most recent experience was last summer, on two different occasions on our RV. Got rid of those Michelin 5 year old tires when we got home! I carry a battery powered impact wrench, but also a torque wrench in the truck when towing.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replace all trailer tires at the same time at 3-4 years from DOT date of mfg (not date bought). My last experience with Carlisle trailer tires was when one started delaminating at under 18 months. All five (even the never used spare tire) were delaminating and defective! Another mistake, never again...but just under a Boat Unit, so it was still a Good Boating Day overall. Now I wish I had just shipped them all to Colby.

Before switching to US made Goodyear Endurance, we’d had 4 explosive blowouts (3 on the side of I-10 in up to 110 head advisories in summer). No problems since with Endurance (now on our second set).

Harvey, at a 2018 Hontoon Hoot discussion on trailer tires, Flint Firestone on the CD25 Grace Full said he was running Carlisles that were also Made in USA but no details. You could try PM’ing him; in Jan he put her up for sale here. But based on my N of 5, I would instead get another set of Endurance tires (N of 10 to date) and sleep well. And demand that your dealer ask supplier about the DOT mfg date stamps (week/year).

Investing in good rubber can often be cheaper in the long run after all is said and done.

John

hardee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, Thanks for that. I did replace my TowMax (Les Schwab) tires with the Good Year Endurance this time. Will have to see how they do on the 5 year run. I don't run up the miles like Colby, but may start on that this season if I can get out of the house.

Funny thing about the Endurance tires. The tread depth seemed very shallow compared to other new tires I have bought before. They looked like barely 1/4 inch deep. Seemed weird to me. Expected much different -- deeper tread.

On your Endurance sets, did the tread seem shallow?

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

hardee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodyear Endurance = 8/32
Carlisle Trail = 9/32

I guess I need to go measure mine.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now I wish I had just shipped them all to Colby

Only if you send me the good ones, and not the bad ones. Mr. Green Not sure why you've had such bad luck with them. It's all I've run for the past 7-8 years and other than a nail in one one time, I've had no problems. The current set has even made a trip out west to Prince Rupert and down to Florida now. Perhaps you have to run them far and hard to keep them from delaminating? Or maybe it's because I carry two spares just in case? Confused Or maybe they don't hold up to the heavier boat running 80mph down the road? Wink Colby
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with Carlisle tires wasn't good, however, that was over 10 yrs ago, so maybe their problem was resolved or it was a bad batch. 3 out of 4 tires delaminated (large sidewall bubbles) at the same time on a 400 mile trip, low 90's outside temperature, tire pressures normal. Tires were 6 yrs old, so they were due for a change anyway. Haven't had a similar problem with any tires since, even Chinese. But also went from load range D to E to increase robustness.

I also run an aftermarket TPMS system, Hawkshead made in Canada, great system. I changed to metal valve stems at last tire change out due to the flexing of the rubber stems caused by the attached TPMS transmitters. Didn't have any issues with the rubber stems, just made goods sense to reduce the flexing and wear.

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey,
Tread depth looks normal or typical to me. My trailer tires have always ‘aged out’ before any tread wear is noticeable (excluding frame alignment etc issues). The last 17 years we’ve towed fairly heavy boats (the Regal 2665 was also over 11,000 lbs on a trailer rated for 12,000 lbs.) My theory is that always operating at close to redline increases failure rates at the weakest links in complex systems.

I last posted our Nov 2014 scale trailer weight in ‘heavy cruise’ mode with under half gas, no water, no waste at 11,060 lbs.

Returning Mar 7, 2020 from our Calusa/Hontoon hoot in ‘heavy cruise’ with same conditions scale wgt was 11,080 lbs. (Over the last 6 years Eileen lost 20 lbs, but fortunately I found them all, by golly).

Add 500 lbs for full gas, 240 for water and 72 for waste would be 11,892 lbs. Which is nudging up to 12,000, esp if we were to stop for a Arby’s double meat sandwich and curly fries and Big Gulp and Eileen’s Gyro.

I’ve read theories that tires are weakened but UV (although today the UV index was only 10) and ozone (NW Florida is the lightning strike champ of the entire USA). We travel at 62-65 MPH because that is what the rig seems to like. Now retired, we plan on relaxing my ‘replace at 36-48’ to a ‘48-60’ month regimen since a blowout doesn’t devastate our plans so much.

Best of luck!
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: