The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

New Tires and Valve Stems, Metal vs Rubber
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI John,

What I noticed right off was that the tread depth did not look "normal" but the tires look new. I have not been over to measure them yet but will get to that somewhere before I pull the boat out (if) for some cruising.

".... Now retired, we plan on relaxing my ‘replace at 36-48’ to a ‘48-60’ month regimen since a blowout doesn’t devastate our plans so much."

A blowout can devastate more than just plans. Not sure how much I's stretch out those numbers. A blowout can do severe damage to more than plans -- like trailer and hull damage. Really not worth the gamble I think.

My trailer is inside, out of the sun, we don't get that much heat here. If I don't tow this season, I might add a year on the other end of my 5 year tires this time. Will need to see what they look like buy the. (Might also even have a Tire Pressure Monitor System on board by then.)

Maybe see you at Hontoon next time around. Stay safe.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently looking at new tires. My last all new set were Goodyears. I guess it was when they were having problems because I had 2 blowouts and one near miss. A trucker stopped me before it could blow out.

The Endurance sound good, but how do you know the set you buy won't be when the are having a problem with manufacture.

My local tires shops all say they are allowed to sell tires up to 23 months past the date code. They also say they are allowed to repair tires under 10 years old and that the life of tires is 10 years, if the tread is good and no damage.

I am also hearing that because of the Covid, some shops are running out of trailer tires. Lots of people are buying and using RVs and boats.

Seems like you just have to make a choice and hope for the best.

Steve
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reiterate my last post here towards the top of the previous page. Also with upgrading to a 25 I recently purchased some new 16” LR E Carlisles for $86/ea on Amazon.
Deluke

City/Region: Meigs
State or Province: GA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Miss Adventure
Photos: Miss Adventure
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my equipment trailers I’ve gone to Goodyear Unisteel G614 RST Radial Tire - 235/85R16 126R. I’ve just installed a set on the 25. I have used every brand. For better or worse Or might I say richer or poorer. I will only buy USA made tires now. So far I have had really good service from them.
Chester

City/Region: home
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaSpray wrote:
My last all new set were Goodyears. I guess it was when they were having problems...

My local tires shops all say they are allowed to sell tires up to 23 months past the date code. They also say they are allowed to repair tires under 10 years old and that the life of tires is 10 years, if the tread is good and no damage.

Seems like you just have to make a choice and hope for the best.

Steve

Tho old GY Marathon became crappy when GY was moving their production from country to country. Things have changed.
The tire stores can tell you they can sell old tires but you don't have to buy them.
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I finally decided on getting the tires, I went to my local Les Schwab and asked specifically for "USA made, nothing older than a 3 month from manufacture date, Goodyear Endurance with my size and load range (D)" The local said they didn't think they could get them. I called a LS shop in Portland that I have dealt with for many years, and they said "yes, we can get them but it might take a bit" so I told them to go ahead and call me when they are in. I checked them, USA made, stamped as such and were 2 months from mfg to tire store. Another reason I like working with Les Schwab tire stores.

That was right at the beginning of Covid, but I took the wheels off the trailer and put them in the truck, delivered them to the PDX LS shop and had new tires on and was on the way home in an hour.

And even though they are GY tires, I bought them from LS so have the full Les Schwab service warranty and they will honor that in 6 PNW states.

Steve, I would find a shop that will deal with you.I think Discount Tire can get and sell GY.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Chester

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discount Tire is where I bought the GYs now on the trailer.
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chester wrote:

Does Discount Tire do free flat repair, rotation, and balance checks. That is the main reason I do Les Schwab, except that they run out to meet me when I drive into the parking lot. Very Happy

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Catskinner

C-Dory Year: 2022
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Dock Holiday
Photos: Dock Holiday
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several years ago I switched over to LT tires. My tire problems have disappeared! They tow great! I use Maxxis 751 LT Bravo Radial.
Chester

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Chester wrote:

Does Discount Tire do free flat repair, rotation, and balance checks. That is the main reason I do Les Schwab, except that they run out to meet me when I drive into the parking lot. Very Happy

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

They do for my car and did for my Jeep. I assume they would for the trailer.
On my Jeep they really earned their money. About but 4 times a year they'd have to clean debris, usually bark, out of the beads to fix the slow leaks. One time a tire had an 11" gash in the sidewall and they replaced it without any fuss. These were BFG mud tires.
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve. I may need to branch out when I start expanding horizons out of the NW corner.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never really got to IF or WHICH is better for valve stems for a boat trailer, OR why, (at least in my mind), so stuck with the Stainless Steel stems. Looks like there are good reasons for either.

I do have a Tire Pressure Monitoring system on my motorcycle and am considering it for the trailer (and maybe the trick too), So far, my short aluminum baseball bat has been pretty accurate - Rolling Eyes bump bump Wink

Will save the TPM for a different thread. ( The one on the bike times out and has to be reset every 30 minutes. Twisted Evil

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: