City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what we all seem to be agreeing on is that :

1. The natural balance of a relatively lightly loaded dory hull with a light engine and slightly bow down attitude at rest is the designed mode.

2. As weight is added, particulary in the stern, the boat begins to NEED or even REQUIRE trim tabs to restore the balance under way.

3. This, in turn, dictates that the skipper make adjustments as quickly as conditions change, in the more extreme form "flying" the boat with the trim tabs.

4. Thus as we gradually overload the dory hull with weight, especially aft unbalanced weight, we're actually using extra power from the motor through the trim tabs to simulate the natural light balanced handling of the hull.

5. The importance of this is two fold:

A. The heavier, aft over loaded hull requires trim tabs. (No wonder some skippers upon adding tabs suddenly wonder how they ever got along without them.) Conversely, keeping the boat light and in a natural balanced trim minimizes their need.

B. Once one loads the boat up with weight and adds the tabs, the requirements on the skipper to use them effectively go up proportionately.

So there's NO MYSTERY about the difference between the light natural balanced dory mode and the heavier, weighted down, powered up, and trim tab controlled FLYING CARGO MODE, just two ends of the spectrum with most of us somewhere along the line connecting the two with some of us wondering why they both work! Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Tue May 03, 2005 1:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Some time ago, Les told me that not only hulls, but trailers, outboards and electronics might be in short supply."

Before we forget this comment, what does it mean?

Is this just the summertime boating season using up the yearly inventory?

Is the Department of Homeland Security buying so many patrol/enforcement units that only Bayliners will be left on the market?

Maybe Les can fill us in on this if no one else knows! Joe.
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

Not the way it worked in my 5 22s. I rarely run with any nose down trim at any load condition -- UNLESS required by water conditions. If I'm almost on plane -- in heavy weather usually -- bow down trim will lift the stern and increase fuel efficiency. I normally only use the tabs for lateral control. But yes, I do trim bow-down running into a heavy chop -- and that increases fuel consumption. Cry Cry

Because I'm old 'n' poor (well, compared to Mike, Bill, et al -- aka deep pockets Wink) my primary cruising gauge is the MPG gadget. With the weight of the anchor, windlass, and rode -- plus heavy tool box, extra downrigger weights etc. all stowed securily forward, my fore-aft balance is usually good. The co-pilot seat ballast Wink plus the full water tank offset old Blubber Gut plus a starboard mounted kicker. If there's a hundred pound halibut in the cockpit forget what I just wrote!!!

It is 100 NM each way to my favorite halibut hole - gas was 3.19 yesterday at our marina. Sure agree with, "Yes, Dear, fish is only ____ per pound." But, the 5 NMPG with the 22 vs the 2 NMPG with the Orca sure makes scanning the dinner menu at Neah Bay mo betta.

Ling is open, so I'm outa here.

Dusty
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusty-

I agree with your points!

The way the post was worded implies that ANY additional weight requires the use of trim tabs. The huge and flat planing surface of the C-Dory hull accommodates quite a bit of additional weight as long as the loading is BALANCED. The emphasis should have been that significant additional weight AFT requires trim tab adjustment proportionately. I've edited it slightly to reflect that emphasis. Good luck with the lings! Joe.
Sawdust

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This stuff can get out of hand in a hurry! Shux, the difference in weight between the 2-stroke and a 4-stroke main engine (any) is only 80 pounds or so. I always run as light as possible -- only the fuel I need plus a reserve. Little water -- but if I had another couple aboard and was heading out for a long weekend or more -- totally different story. If the only variable is weight -- the heavier you are the more fuel you burn. Period.

My main thrust, which escaped, was to keep a balanced boat and use the trim tabs only when needed. Sorry it got away from me. Rolling Eyes

Love my C Dory! Gone fishin'

Dusty

C-Bill

City/Region: Carson City
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: CharkBait
Photos: CharkBait
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In true dory form, I don't see the need for trim tabs. I've used my boat in some pretty nasty conditions in the open ocean and have really enjoyed the performance of that hull design with no trim tabs. Trim tabs are for high performance boats. The C-Dory is not a high performance boat. It's a dory, just plain and simple. Smile

When the dory is balanced properly and operated at 14 to 16 knots, you couldn't ask for a better handling boat. The biggest mistake I've made was trying to race a deep vee in a rough ocean. Just back off and let the deep vee run. He'll take a terrible pounding, but that's his ONLY choice. Believe me, in rough conditions on the ocean, I won't have the sense beat out of me and anybody onboard, when I reach the harbor.

Enjoy that little pocket cruiser, why race when you can enjoy your day on the ocean.

Before I repower my C-Dory, outboard weight will be the deciding factor and the E-Tech (probably less than 90 hp) is looking better every day. The 1991 Yamaha 90 hp that I have now only weighs 260 lbs and fed with two 18 gal. tanks. When (very rare) I carry extra fuel, it's in two 5 gal containers up front.

Plain old geezer Bill Smile

PS- SAWDUST, I expect to be at the Sturgeon Fest June 18 & 19. I don't drink, but I'd be happy to buy you one if you show up and you too - Joe
Waterball

City/Region: Seward, Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Waterball
Photos: Waterball
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input on this subject it kind of went off topic but interesting reading. I purchased my boat with the power already chosen and bolted on so I didnt have the oppurtunity to select the motor. After reading through the posts though I have thought about something that has been overlooked. God created us all to be unique in all regards and the one that really sticks out right now is size and weight. Myself I'm tipping the scales at around 250lbs and my wife isnt all tooth and bone either. How much wieght is in the stern isn't as big of a concern for me as how its distributed and secured. I dont tempt fate and dont go out when the weather is questionable, I research weather forecasts and pay attention to wind direction and speed at all times. I run my boat at comfortable speeds, what ever the sea state allows. I have a modest amount of experience, I've found the biggest piece of safety equipment on my boat is me. Safe travels, good fishing, and keep the round errr flat side down.
Shaun

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waterball wrote:
I've found the biggest piece of safety equipment on my boat is me.

Nothing to add, I just felt that was worth saying again. Thanks Shaun.

Sawdust

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yummers! Ling really calms me ulcers!

Duster
Jon - CLou

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Lou
Photos: C-Lou and Pee Wee
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusty's got him a ling cod hole, Dusty's got him a ling cod hole!!! Thumbs Up
Ok, I'll stick with the topic. Dusty, how many ling cod can you hang off your transom and still keep the bow down? Laughing
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, the Dusterman knows what he's doin' He puts 'em to bed in the v-berths and covers 'em with seaweed! Laughing

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Sawdust

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jon,

My Ling hole is 3 minutes from the marina!!! Won't last long because there were at least 300 fisher folks in the Deception bridge area on opening day. You still decimating the butt population? You've gotta stake a couple of slabs out for derby day!! Lips to Cynthia.

Charlie,

Not a bad idea! Anything to get the bow down without using tabs, eh? Dang, I'll keep my big mouth shut one of these days... I'm sure enjoying the 22 though. Glass smooth out there today, catch and release fun with a half dozen or so... but we are only allowed one keeper. Fresh Ling is hard to beat.

Dusty
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dusty, you guys on the Left Coast catch all them fishies Thumbs Up Thumbs Up . \
Give me a good Rib Eye Cod Laughing or Flank Fish Laughing anytime. I am personally responsible for the demise of at least one or two herd of beef critters per year Disgust , or at least the head cook says. I don't disagee or I sleep on the sofa and eat gruel..... Smile

Charlie
Sawdust

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mr. C-Bill,

Take you up on the drink. Coffee black -- hope the spoon stands up in it!

Tabs on a C-D are like air conditioning in my old beat up pickup. Sure don't need it, but makes for a pleasant journey!!

Tight lines, old friend,

Duster
C-Bill

City/Region: Carson City
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: CharkBait
Photos: CharkBait
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusty,

Just between you and I, and don't let this go any further! That guy who stirred the pot with all this trim BS just realized something. Embarassed Embarassed

Ya know, I'm old enough to have a senior moment now and then, but this one lasted for several days. Now I'll have to remove that PermaTrim Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed from my motor before the Sturgeon Fest or I'll get thoroughly chastised and ran out of town. I plead Not Guilty to all that smoke on this forum about PermaTrims.

That cavitation plate is going to look ridiculous with all those holes in it.

I think I got this hoof & mouth disease from an old piece of cow meat I ate ages ago. I hate it when I do that! Angry Angry

C-Bill (dance!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: