The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Wallas fails to start
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chester

City/Region: home
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe time to consider rewiring the boat Harvey? Ours came with a similar 'basic' system which has been upgraded with good results.. I recomend adding an automatic combination relay (ACR).
This will convert your system to a house and start battery and protect the start battery from being drawn down by house loads.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=17248&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50523&subdeptNum=50529&classNum=50532#.UIMeKm9JMp0
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, Thanks. I know what you are saying. I know I don't need a Group 27 to start a 40 yami. And I have considered a rewire. It was pretty messed up by the original commissioner and I have made very few changes. I did increase the battery size and generally run them on both to even the load. I do carry a jumps start system, and am exceptionally obsessive about what loads are on and where the switches are set.

The rewire is more than I can handle so would either need to have it done or wait until I get retired and have the time to do it piece by piece. The ACR switch sounds like a good idea though. Thanks.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Chester

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may not be as complicated as it sounds. You already have most of what is needed for the conversion.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

Thanks, except for the time. Eventually I will add another battery and some solar charging, giving me a single house battery, a battery for electronics and an appropriately sized starting battery. I may be contacting you for some hints when I do the change. Thanks Very Happy

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
Chester

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time... I hear you.
A small solar panel may be next on the list just to keep the battery topped up for the overly fussy Wallas when the engines aren't run every day.
jerry97230

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C NILE
Photos: C NILE
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far my Wallas does not seem to be fussy about voltage, but my batteries are new.
Am considering a house only battery though as it just seems like the right thing to do.
Jerry
GxK

City/Region: Frenchman's Bay, Lake Ontario
State or Province: ON
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: At Last! ex Goose
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Wallas fails to start Reply with quote

Doug--

The Wallas-Marin invoice number 21342, dated 2001.07.31, has 95DU written in as "type" and then crossed out and revised to 125DU in the same handwriting. The serial number on the invoice is S/W or S/N 3847. There's a Scan Marine stamp on the invoice. Can you say which model I really have?

When I went down to the boat to get the above info, I tried the Wallas. It started, heat began to build in the ceramic, but then the red light started flashing and I shut it down after several minutes.

I'd like to go for the last cruise of the season this weekend, whern temps will be 3C to 12C, so would love to sort out the problem

--Georgs

macmac wrote:

Please note: The 125DU (aka 95DU25) has no lockout feature. The 85DU270 does. The 85 series superseded the 95 series in 2006.

Either the stove is an 85DU270 or the problem was something else.

Doug at Scan
[/quote]
macmac

City/Region: Seattle
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Which model? Reply with quote

Georgs:

You have a Wallas 95DU25E, AKA 125DU. This is a pre 2006 model.

A couple tests:

Try starting the stove with the lid up. Wait until you see the flashing red you described (note whether the pump is clicking), then feel the left side of the ceramic top and determine if it has become warm at all. A mild warmth means the glow plug is at least trying to ignite it. If not, the glow plug could have failed. these are about $45 and pretty easy to replace if you lift the stove out and invert it.

If the ceramic does get a little warm, then your glow plug may be fine. Was the pump clicking? If so, while it is clicking, pull the fuel filter out of the tank a few inches to send some bubbles up the fuel line so you can see pump progress. The bubbles should jump smartly about 5/8" on each click and not fall back.

If the pump doesn't click, but the ceramic is warm, then there could be other problems we will need to check on. Call the office between 9-5, M-F and we will try to help troubleshoot. That works best if you are on the boat and ready to try running the stove for us.

Doug at Scan
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to bring this thread back in case anyone trying to get their Wallace to work could use it. It’s a cold night in Florida so I thought I’d search here for a solution to our broke down Wallace 95d. Jody’s routine listed above worked, it’s off it’s apparent safe mode and the cabin is nice and toasty tonight. I didn’t even know about a safe mode
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem with mine. It was showing all the symptoms of overheating and shutting down, although it wasn't getting hot. I placed a small non-flammable piece of material between the sensor and the bottom of the stove. Problem solved.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
crowleykirk

City/Region: Friday Harbor
C-Dory Year: 2020
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Life
Photos: C-Life
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:18 pm    Post subject: After you get it running..... Reply with quote

Try using Clean Heat as your fuel source instead of diesel. Once you get it running again. Burns much cleaner. Heard it's the hot ticket. That's what we are going to start with in our new boat. I have no intention of using regular diesel fuel if I can help it:-) Good luck. Keep us posted.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going through the dealer check out on our new C-Dory, the technician told us to be sure to run our factory installed Wallas Dt-85 (w/blower lid) unit once a month to ensure that it remains running trouble free and to use diesel as the recommended fuel for the unit. We have been doing this for three years now and have had no problems. Be sure to check the Owner's Manual for recommended fuel for your specific Wallas model.
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DayBreak wrote:
Going through the dealer check out on our new C-Dory, the technician told us to be sure to run our factory installed Wallas Dt-85 (w/blower lid) unit once a month to ensure that it remains running trouble free and to use diesel as the recommended fuel for the unit. We have been doing this for three years now and have had no problems. Be sure to check the Owner's Manual for recommended fuel for your specific Wallas model.

That was our mistake... we have always ran the Wallace once a month or so but then the pandemic hit, and at the same time we sold our house, moved to another state and things got crazy. 6 months went by and we didn't start the Wallace. Guess what? When it finally came time to give the boat some attention the Wallace was being fussy. But flipping the breaker when the trouble light started flashing, and turning it back on in the on position, turning it back off, and then back on restarted it and now its running fine.

As far as fuel, each Wallace model is different, but diesel has always worked fine in the 95D. Scan Marine told me to only use diesel. Other models may benefit from other fuels of course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: