View previous topic :: View next topic  
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: BEST CRUISING GROUNDS (for each season) Reply with quote

A question for the collective wisdom of the C-Brats in the Pub:

Where is the best cruising area in North America for each month of the year? Unlimited gas money, and it's January ... where's the primo cruising place to be? February? ... etc.

Looking forward to input from Brats anywhere or with reading/cruising experience of special places. Maybe some ideas 'out of the box.'... like Princess Louisa in January to see the giant 'snow cones.

Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Bill, Bill, Bill... Reply with quote

I applaud your subject, but isn't this a bit like Einstein asking a students in Physics 101 if he/she have any thoughts on the properties of Matter?

After eighteeen thousand miles, and two thousand engine hours - you and El are the Grand Masters on the subject.

Having said that, I'm reminded of the comment you once made about cruising direction and timetable: "Follow the 70 degree isotherm." It ranks right up there with one of my favorites: "Go Smaller, Go Lighter, Go NOW!"

As for actual destinations, our thoughts are that during the summer, the challenge is to decide among virtually unlimited options. In the winter it's a little more daunting, but "South" seems fitting. We're currently exploring the idea of following the Gulf Coast from Corpus Christi or Brownsville eastward to wherever. (Still a bit hung-up on the logistics of parking-the-truck and returning [possibly hundreds of miles] to retrieve it. Guess I'd better return to your website and read that portion again.

Again, without being specific, one cruising concept that appeals to me it the "loop." It just seems so efficient, and with increasing fuel prices that will become even more of an issue. During the planning for our aborted Canadian canals cruise this summer I found an interesting site that described five "loop" cruises in that area:
http://lists.samurai.com/pipermail/great-loop/2002-January/000490.html

I'll be interested to see what others have to say. Good topic.

Casey
C-Dory Naknek
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: BEST CRUISING GROUNDS (for each season) Reply with quote

Wisdom or parochialism? Laughing Laughing OK, we'll dive in! The San Juans / Gulf Islands January through December! And we'll throw in P Louisa and Desolation just as soon as we can say we have been there! Only infrequently frozen or oppressively hot, this IS twelve-month cruising territory. Of course, this is sort of "love the one you're with" since Texas, Florida, Maryland and so forth are all a bit out of reach for us...

El and Bill wrote:
A question for the collective wisdom of the C-Brats in the Pub:

Where is the best cruising area in North America for each month of the year? Unlimited gas money, and it's January ... where's the primo cruising place to be? February? ... etc.

Looking forward to input from Brats anywhere or with reading/cruising experience of special places. Maybe some ideas 'out of the box.'... like Princess Louisa in January to see the giant 'snow cones.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

El and Bill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good suggestions -- keep them coming -- maybe some of the mid-continent, southern, and eastern folks can add some ideas. Or you nor'westers -- yes, Pat, the nor'west is great cruising -- are the San Juans a bit crowded in summer? would it be better to be up in the Gulf Islands or west coast Vancouver or ...?

The Great Loop circling the eastern states is, by definition, designed for the changing seasons -- and a good idea, Casey, but, perhaps getting a bit crowded and perhaps C-Dorys can better do the Loop just before or after the 'season?'
El and Bill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, Casey, like Einstein asking 101 physics students for their thoughts, my best ideas for research subjects often came, not from my graduate students, but from my 101 students. Sometimes those with less regional knowledge, have great ideas from their backyard -- or from a trip as a kid with Dad somewhere or another ... or from a tale they heard from a fishing or cruising buddy ... or ... from Casey who shared tales from his adventure north to Alaska in an open small boat and gave us some great ideas!!
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
El and Bill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thoughts, Dan -- for those of us from "outside," can you give us some advice? We 'followed' your recent journey north with your boat and know from experience how long that drive can be. We're willing to do it, but want to be on northern waters at what you consider the most primo time. Like, "no mosquitos, no ice on decks ..." Given one month on the northern waters, what would you advise? Sure, every year is different, but we're from Nevada, and willing to play some odds.
dogon dory

Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The South Dakota "Great Lakes" in September. If you're following the Lewis & Clark trail, there are three major lakes made from dams on the Missouri River. First is Lewis & Clark Lake formed by the dam at Yankton, SD - a lovely recreation area. Busy as can be during the summer, it is a delight after Labor Day weekend... miles and miles of shoreline with bluffs, deer, antelope, and water fowl. Next in the chain is Lake Francis Case (nearly 70 miles long) and then on to Oahe, formed by the dam near Pierre. Francis Case can be low due to water release; when it's up, it's spectacular. Same with Oahe. If you like big water, there are places on Oahe where you can't see the shore (who'd a thunk that in South Dakota?). For more information, try this link:
http://www.travelsd.com/

or this from the CoE regarding the Missouri River:
http://www.nwo.usace.army.mil/html/Lake_Proj/infocenter.html

From there, it's an easy drive to the beautiful Black Hills... not much water (there are a couple nice small lakes), but great camping and lots to see and do. Then on to Wyoming or Montana if the weather is still looking good.

Hope this is along the lines of what you were looking for! It's the least we can do for all that you two have contributed here.

Best wishes,
James (TX & SD)
still in the "scheming" stage
Waterball

City/Region: Seward, Alaska
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Waterball
Photos: Waterball
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found weather in South Central Alaska to be like Dan said in June to be very good. I usually tell friends and relatives to come up in July though. The trees and wild flowers tend to be in bloom at this time more so than May and early June. If you come up you'll have to make a stop in Seward, PWS being given allot of attention lately due to the new road to whittier, the Kenai Fjords National Park has allot worth seeing as well. Alaska is so huge you can live here a lifes time and not see it all.
Shaun

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well most people here will cover the better-known places. The northwest, Alaska, the I.C.W on the east coast and the south. The rivers and lakes that form a loop in the east are interesting to me only because I have not been there yet. The delta of ca is great before or after summer. I had a thought while reading this that the many lakes of northern ca. could be strung together to create a cruise. I know that it requires a lot of towing but there is a lot to see. Any of the lakes above 6000ft in the sierras is a treat to me and not to hot in the summer. Tahoe is a real gem with a lot to see. I would go during the annual wooden boat classic week. Lots to do and see at that time. Echo Lake at the top of highway 50 is a real treat. The backside opens up to the desolation wilderness. This area is pack- in only. If you use your boat as a base camp you would be in a day hike of 15 high mountain lakes and at the same elevation. This makes for great hikes and wonderful views. Eagle Lake is home to a special breed of trout that grow fat and fight hard. It’s a large lake in some very pretty country. Orville and Shasta are also very large lakes that can take days to see. Clear lake, Don Pedro, New melons, lake Almanor and lake berryessa are all wonderful before summer hits or in the fall. This is when most of the skiers and jet skies have gone home. Well anywhere it’s not over 85 is a good place to be. That’s the big reason we moved to Seattle from Sacramento. You just have to time it right.
El and Bill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great ideas -- keep them coming, please. We've already heard some replies that have us thinking of new places, and the best time to get there.
El and Bill

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before this drops off the bottom of the page into oblivion, we are still hoping to get some more ideas from folks. Anyone been to Lake of the Woods? North Channel? Cumberland Lake? Any other ideas?
larry7777

City/Region: Florida Keys
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Best Cruising times in Florida Reply with quote

Hello El and Bill.
I believe the consensus for most folks is that the best cruising months for Florida are in October / November (after Hurricane season) and April / May and early June. Bugs are not so bad and heat is not oppressive during these months.

Of course many people (us included) cruise year round here but July, August and September are too hot and muggy for most people to want to over night without air conditioning.

They are also prime months for hurricane activity.

Let us know if you are ever going to be in the Florida Keys.
The "Welcome Aboard Mat" will always be out for you from your Rosborough cousins.

Thanks for the pleasure you have given us by sharing your many cruising miles.

Best regards,

Larry and Ellen O'Blander
Tavernier Florida

22 Rosborough
Latitude Adjustment
http://www.marine-movers.com/Rosborough_22.html
Chris Bulovsky

City/Region: Washburn
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Photos: SCOUT
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being from Wisconsin and a proud resident from the Great state of Wisconsin Id have to say that the Apostle Islands could be the single most overlooked destination for a C-Dory owner. It offers cool fresh water with Warm air in July Aug. and early Sept. . Ashland and Washburn offer Accommodations and good food! As does Bayfield. Really great Fishing for Small Mouth Bass in Mid may to Early June in Sand Cut slough In Chequamegon Bay. Good Lake Trout fishing as well As Chinook (2008), Coho, Monster Browns, not to mention a overlooked Walleye fishery in the Bay and South Shore. What seem to be endless sand beaches are the norm on the Islands with Granite out crops.
I belive C-Dory Boats are made for the Great Lakes. Hard Tops to keep the cold out and Big water handling are clear assets of our beloved boats.
I have been in Alaska in 2004 and think that that may be heaven on earth in August.
That is my assessment with regards to best boating destinations.

Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: