The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Gas Tank leak on my 25
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Gas Tank leak on my 25 Reply with quote

I had been suspecting I had a problem about a month ago and then decided it wasn't. This afternoon I found about 8 gallons of gas in the bilge. Boat has a full tank, in the garage..I moved it out and have removed the floor panel after much much cutting of the sealant that they used to finish it off after screwing it in place. There is no evidence of any leaks at either of the fill flanges or either of the vent hoses. Nothing at the center where the standpipes or senders are. Only thing I can think is there is a leak in the aluminum tank. I have filled all my neighbors gas tanks and mine and have the tank as empty as I can get it with a siphon hose down the fill port.

Looking at the tank I see no way short of cutting it up to get it out as it is about 4-6" wider than the floor hole .

Calling Les tomorrow. I need to get the boat to someone before Wednesday as I am leaving for 10 days and when I get back our ferry is going to be in drydock for 3 weeks. I would rather have someone replacing the tank during that time if possible. If that is what it will take...

???????????????????

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51

Last edited by Alyssa Jean on Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help, but so sorry.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Closest I came was a call from the owner of the barn I keep my boat at. He thought I had a gas leak. Turned out it was burping out the vent. Less than a cup total, maybe. Scary. Sorry you are having to deal with this now, but sure better than an explosion/fire about 4 days into your trip. Somebody is looking our for you Dave.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: gas leaks Reply with quote

years ago we had a 21 ft aquasport and had a gas leak it ended up being a minute crack in the inlet gas fitting very hard to detect replaced it and no problems .Take all the fittings off and inspect them very carefully . good Luck very scary stuff
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to hear

Please post an update

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately, I haven't had to remove the fuel tank in Journey On, but here's a couple of suggestions. Obviously, you're looking at the hole in the deck and I'm not but here goes.

First, that access hatch was put into the cockpit of the 25 (in 2005) to allow removal of the gas tank without cutting the deck. That's what I was told when I bought the boat, by the VP sales. One of their improvements. So the first thing to do is call the factory and ask them the question. I've been told that in some past time they (maybe not the present they) have done it.

Second, as you know, there's a plate on the top of the tank where the fuel gauge is installed. Have you removed that to both drain all of the gas and inspect the bottom?

Let us know how it works out. If your tank is leaking we may all have that problem someday. When I pull Journey On up the driveway (~8%) to park it a LOT of water comes out and I've always wondered from whence it cometh. Hopefully, not from under the tank.

Boris
Alyssa Jean

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an update. Spoke with the company in Bellingham that made the tank. Talked to several other people who have had to replace their tank. Took the boat today to Cap Sante marine in Anacortes and one of the techs found the leak right away as he knew what to look for. The tank is held in place against the bulkhead under the door by two pieces of what appear to be aluminum or steel pieces that have been glued or glassed onto the bottom of the boat at the rear of the tank. They are about 6-7" long and run aft to forward and are about an 1 1/2" high. Where they rest agaist the tank is where the leak has been progressivly getting worse. The tank itself can not be removed from the boat without cutting it out. It is at least 4-5" wider on each side. When they remove it they will get a new tank made from Coastline Equipment in Bellingham. The good news is that they will size the tank to drop in and make it wider aft to bow wise and take up some of that 6-7" that is unused space. So I should end up with about the same capacity as I had before. The tank should come in around $900 plus the labor. I will replace the lid myself after I get the boat back.

Could have been worse. Kate could be just spreading my ashes if the boat had blown up.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anna Leigh wrote:
Here is an update. Spoke with the company in Bellingham that made the tank. Talked to several other people who have had to replace their tank. Took the boat today to Cap Sante marine in Anacortes and one of the techs found the leak right away as he knew what to look for. The tank is held in place against the bulkhead under the door by two pieces of what appear to be aluminum or steel pieces that have been glued or glassed onto the bottom of the boat at the rear of the tank. They are about 6-7" long and run aft to forward and are about an 1 1/2" high. Where they rest agaist the tank is where the leak has been progressivly getting worse. The tank itself can not be removed from the boat without cutting it out. It is at least 4-5" wider on each side. When they remove it they will get a new tank made from Coastline Equipment in Bellingham. The good news is that they will size the tank to drop in and make it wider aft to bow wise and take up some of that 6-7" that is unused space. So I should end up with about the same capacity as I had before. The tank should come in around $900 plus the labor. I will replace the lid myself after I get the boat back.

Could have been worse. Kate could be just spreading my ashes if the boat had blown up.

Yes - it could have been worse. But I think the explosion and fire might have done the ashes spreading for Kate so she could have at least been spared that effort. Wink

BrentB

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks

sharp tech

How will the new tank be installed and secured?
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Sure glad it wasn't you and your C-Dory on the news. That is not the kind of advertising that wins many friends. Good move to take that to where they have good mechanics/techs. nice find and good to get it right away, not after 3 days of looking. Sounds like you will have it all in hand before you leave for your trip and you won't be looking at cleaning up a blow-up mess.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what, specifically, caused the leak? Corrosion, rubbing/vibration, electrolysis? Are they going to use a sawz-all to cut it out? Spooky as you obviously need to watch for sparks. I would assume the tank will be flushed clean prior to any cutting being done. Either way, a messy, hazardous problem.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
So what, specifically, caused the leak? Corrosion, rubbing/vibration, electrolysis? Are they going to use a sawz-all to cut it out? Spooky as you obviously need to watch for sparks. I would assume the tank will be flushed clean prior to any cutting being done. Either way, a messy, hazardous problem.

The greater question is "How many others like this have there been, and how likely are other CD-25 owners to experience the same thing? Are they all built like this, or?

The aluminum should cut w/o sparks, since it's mostly just iron compounds like steel that spark when cut or ground with equipment.

Sure glad David wasn't a casualty when dealing with that 8 gallons plus of gas in the bilge and tank! There's probably enough energy in a tankful of gas to put the CD-25 into the stratosphere!

Hope it all works out, both in terms of safety and cost!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Alyssa Jean

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I probably should try and take a picture of the stops that C-dory put in (2005). The hole looks to be caused by continual contact with the stop. I would guess that all 25s made in Kent and possible Auburn were built this way.

Unless the factory started using smaller in width tanks, the story that the removable cockpit floor panel was to access the tank is a little weak. Yes you can see the top of the tank, but you still can't remove the tank without cutting it.

The tank will be cut with a saws-all after more of the residual gas is removed and then flushed with water.
BrentB

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how your tank installation compares to David Pascoe's.
Alyssa Jean

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know who David Pascoe is.
If there is a problem is it buried beneath the floor panel and it is a two hour job to remove the steps, caulking floor screws to get the floor panel up. Then you have to put it back together.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: