View previous topic :: View next topic  
trpsurf

City/Region: Pasadena
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Oski
Photos: C-Pelican
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Maximizing Fuel Capacity Reply with quote

We purchased a 1993 Cruiser in February and have been out to Catalina over 20 times since buying the boat 7 months ago. We honestly could not be happier and our kids (10mo. and 4) are having a wonderful time.

My only complaint is fuel capacity. I repowered with and Evinrude 90 which has been wonderful so far. I average about 3.25 MPG. I am sure I could do better, but the truth is that I drive as fast as conditions allow (a screaming baby in the channel is no fun) and we usually have the boat loaded down for 2-5 day outings. Since nearly all of my trips so far average 100-130 miles, the biggest problem is that I have to have carry 2-3 5 gallon gas cans on board for almost every trip. On a recent fishing trip, I was 60 miles offshore and had to transfer fuel from the jugs into my fuel tanks. Needless to say, in the rough conditions, it was less than ideal. My goal is to have a range of 150- 180 miles (60+ gallons at a min.).
As I start to think about prioritizing my winter projects (interior refresh, windless, installing hatches under the front cabin, etc.) adding fuel capacity seems to keep rising to the top of the list.

So, this leads me to need some feedback on my options:
1. Leave the 2- 20 gallon (white) fuel tanks and add custom made aluminum tanks under the gunnels. I have seen several of these saddle tanks in the older models and imagine that I could have a couple saddle tanks fabricated to fit under the gunnels in my '93. This would probably add the additional 20 or so gallons that I desire. I have read a couple threads there this has been discussed, although I have yet to find any pictures. I am guessing that I would have to have a series of valves that would draw from one of the 4 tanks, if I went this route.

2. Discard the current white tanks and have a single custom tank built, similar to this: http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=15245 I like this idea for added volume, but wonder about the limitations, like limited access to the bilge and lack of the space between tanks.

3. Get two new Moeller 23-25 gallon plastic tanks. Lots of money for only 6-10 gallons of fuel.

Other than slowing down Very Happy , can you think of any other options?

If you were in my shoes, which route would you go for?

Your feedback is much appreciated.

Tim
C-Pelican
jerry97230

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C NILE
Photos: C NILE
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a new to us C22 with twin Honda 40s. Only have a couple hundred miles on it so far but seem to be getting about 5 to 5 1/2 miles per.
i usually cruise at 4500 RPM, if this helps good.
Jerry
trpsurf

City/Region: Pasadena
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Oski
Photos: C-Pelican
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get 5 mpg in calm water, but when I run offshore (65 miles to chase Tuna last week) in pretty normal, choppy conditions and come home in the afternoon when the wind is blowing, I tend to get in the 3's.

I am looking at different props, which might increase the mileage. I currently have a 4 blade prop, and it might be a tad over-propped for the boat. I am guessing that conditions are dictating the lower mileage.

I could be wrong about that, although the new Evinrude is supposed to be comparable to most hondas and yamahas.

Tim
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was me I would go with saddle tanks on each side. keeps weight off the stern and allows you more fuel. You should be able to get 10 to 15 gallons a side with no trouble. Check the catch-22 album. he had tanks made. Also look into old groth daves post on the 16 fter he made into a 18 or 19 fter. He had saddle tanks made for it. He is also the brains behind the marinaut215 which has saddle tanks also.
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres a picture of daves 18 fter gas tank

Ok so I went back and did the math and daves tanks are about 20.5 gallons per tank so that would be a extra 40 gallons is you could add that .

so if you figure out the H x W x D for the tank and then take the total cubic inchs divided by 1728 will give you cubic ft X 7.48 gallons per cubic ft for total gallons.

Last edited by starcrafttom on Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a 2006 22 cruiser with twin 40's and normally are pretty heavily loaded. We have two 25 gallon tanks normally filled to about 24 gallons. Cruising at 13-15Kts. we normally get 3-4nm/gal. depending... Run dry range is about 156 nm (an embarrassing moment when the fuel dock had no fuel, made it to the next with 1-2 gal left. Shocked ). The saddle tanks would be great for capacity and weight balance but very pricey ~ 1K. Have you considered the portable fuel tanks that have a fuel gauge and fuel line built in? I think they are often seen on open skiffs and have about 6gal. capacity. That would let you carry more fuel, just disconnect your normal fuel line and connect the line from the portable(s) when you need to. Just a thought.
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.atlinc.com/pdfs/InTheNews/ATL-In-The-News-BD-Outdoors-Review.pdf

alsos look into fuel bladders. use it first and then roll it up and store it.

I would also look into using square tanks with home made boxes places just behind the cabin bulkhead with seats cushions on them. 12 x 20 x18 would get you 18 gallons a side.
C-Nile

City/Region: Connecticut
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Betty Ann
Photos: C-Nile
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Tom. As the beneficiary of saddle tanks in our Marinaut, I can also attest to its benefits. In my now sold Cd 16 cruiser, I, too, had an issue with range, so I purchased two, three gallon Moeller tanks and placed them forward under the pilot and copilot sets. Moving that extra weight forward allowed us to get on plane more quickly, and it improved fuel efficiency by reducing drag at the stern. In fact, when I went further and removed my kicker from the stern, fuel economy improved by approximately twenty percent. I have to wonder on my boat if I would improve efficiency by removing my kicker, but there is no way I would do without it. Another issue, is using metal tanks instead of plastic ones. From what I understand, even though it is minuscule, a small amount of fuel molecules will migrate through plastic containers and hoses over time, so having metal containers may lessen fuel smells over time, which is particularly important from a livability standpoint if you enclose the cockpit with canvas. Metal tanks may even be safer, but I'll defer to more knowledgeable people on this site as to whether or not this subjective comment is true. Regardless, safety should factor in your ultimate decision.

Rich

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an '06 22 Cruiser with the aft tanks, whitish plastic. I like them because I do not have to mess with fuel gages. I would like to add some additional range too and have considered the saddle tanks as an addition or in place of, depending on the design. I would like to incorporate some steps into the saddle tank system to make boarding easier (ie not so much of a stretch from the gunnel down to the first step which is only about 1/4 of the way up from the cockpit sole.

Good luck with your winter projects.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Catch 22

City/Region: Lynnwood
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Catch 22
Photos: Catch 22
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

regardless of where and how you store your fuel, one thing I think is important is to have at least two tanks separated from each other. If one ever gets contaminated, you will not foul all of your fuel.
C-Nile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
I ... I would like to incorporate some steps into the saddle tank system to make boarding easier ...
SleepyC Moon

Harvey,
It would be worth the effort. We have friends in their seventies, and the wife has a very bad ankle, making it even difficult to traverse normal stairs. There is absolutely no way for her to enter a standard CD 22: that one, narrow step is way too steep. In fact, my wife can't do it either. Those two steps on our saddle tanks are a godsend. Yesterday, we took our friends to Greenport, and our friends had no difficulty entering and exiting the boat.

Rich
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That entering and exiting issue plus the saddle tank advantage are t of the biggest issues that I think the manufactures should be looking at if they are going to keep the retirement aged owners interested in continued use.

Now back to the regularly scheduled programming:

Those saddle tanks should be an option, as either accessories or as standard issue in place of the under the splash well placement. We would see more of them in use, and each separate owner would not have to resort to custom build.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Nile wrote:
hardee wrote:
I ... I would like to incorporate some steps into the saddle tank system to make boarding easier ...
SleepyC Moon

Harvey,
It would be worth the effort. We have friends in their seventies, and the wife has a very bad ankle, making it even difficult to traverse normal stairs. There is absolutely no way for her to enter a standard CD 22: that one, narrow step is way too steep. In fact, my wife can't do it either. Those two steps on our saddle tanks are a godsend. Yesterday, we took our friends to Greenport, and our friends had no difficulty entering and exiting the boat.

Rich

Rich,

Could/would you post some photos of your tanks and steps. I looked in your album and did not find them. If they are there, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
C-Nile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
C-Nile wrote:
hardee wrote:
SleepyC Moon

Harvey,

Rich

Rich,

Could/would you post some photos of your tanks and steps. I looked in your album and did not find them. If they are there, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Harvey,
A picture of the steps is located in picture 20 in the sub folder "Marinaut Interior Dinette, Galley, and Storage of the "Betty Ann" "

If you want any additional pictures, or if you would like me to make specific measures, please don't hesitate to ask.

rich
Barry Rietz

City/Region: Sierra Vista
State or Province: AZ
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Fuel Tanks Reply with quote

Tim,
Contact "Tex Allen" aboard "Bixby's Cub", a 22' cruiser. He just finished building two aluminum oversized tanks and the pair look beautiful. He and mate "Sharon" just cruised from Pittsburgh to Dubuque, a 1400 mile river voyage, and they performed perfectly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: