The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Neah Bay or Sekui in August?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a Neah Bay or Sekui trip? I plan to spend 1-2 weeks out that way in August reeling in Coho, Kings, Ling and black rockfish. Wouldn't mind some company...
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I MAY be out there for a weekend or 3. I love to fish out there. But I won't be staying at Neah if I go. I will put in at Sekiu. I won't spend another dime in Neah if I can help it.
rogerbum

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gljjr wrote:
I MAY be out there for a weekend or 3. I love to fish out there. But I won't be staying at Neah if I go. I will put in at Sekiu. I won't spend another dime in Neah if I can help it.

I have similar feelings but am conflicted about the cost of running from Sekiu to Area 4 and around Tatoosh (with gas at the Marina being $3+ bucks a gallon). Also, when I overnight on board, the marina at Neah Bay is much nicer - better breakwater, better docks.... I too am pissed off at the Makah over harvest and the next year allocation of blackmouth but don't want to hurt myself too much in the process. Definitely won't buy any thing I can get elsewhere but the marina there is still the best place to be to go for fishing for rock fish, hali and ling cods once you bag your salmon limit.....

Roger on the SeaDNA
gljjr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is NO WAY I would pay for the marina gas at Big Salmon. I did that once last year and they charged me $3.10 for regular! I can't imagine what it is going to be this year! I'll pull the boat and drive to Clallam Bay and get it at the station there. Then I'll be sure to keep the receipt and turn it in to the state to get my taxes back. Sure it is a hassle but with the prices the way they are I can't see doing it any other way.

Big Salmon's docks are very nice. I would much rather use that marina, but I'm not going to. I figure I will just put the boat in at Olsen's and then motor out to Neah and find a place in a quiet cove to drop anchor. Since I'll only be staying the weekend I figure it won't be too bad.
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'fraid marina gas is gonna be over 3.00 any where you dock. Just filled the C-Salt at Cornet Bay. 24.8 gal - 88.50 bucks. And going up! If you are rich and own a CD, gas ain't nuthin'. Rolling Eyes

Sure like to fish out of Neah Bay, but huge butts right here right now. Gal in the marina got a 140# and several others checked in to the Fisheries guy -- a few in the 60# class. Ooooooh. And we got skunked. Love to stake out a 140# for the Port Angeles Derby and tow it over to Cynthia!!! Might even get a hug. Love

Dusty
rogerbum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - I plan to head out Tues evening, stay at a friend's house and arrive in Neah Bay Wed AM. I have moorage booked from Wed 8/3 until about Thurs 8/11 - (burglers - wife, son, dog and armed guards watching the homestead... Cool ). I have a bunch of different friends coming out for Thurs 8/3 - Tues 8/9 but have one or two open seats for Sun 8/7- Thurs 8/11.

If anyone wants to run out for a day or two and get the "Roger guided fishing tour", PM me. Poles and tackle provided and the extended forecast looks good (we'll see how it really turns out). Sun and Mon will be spent fishing Sekiu for salmon and/or just SW of Tatoosh for black rock cod (AKA black sea bass). Other days will likely be spent somewhere between Neah Bay and Blue Dot, water and weather conditions permitting. While some claim that fishing is not so good out there this year, I and others I know have not had a problem getting our limits of 2 salmon (+2 bonus pinks in area 5) and many sea bass if one is willing to work at it. Bring the big cooler if you come.

Roger on the SeaDNA
gljjr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I wish you had posted this early last week! I'm starting a new job next monday and they asked if I wanted to start on the 15th instead. I decided not to... Had I been able to head out to Neah instead I sure would have done that! Have a good time out there! I hear that the Pinks are plentiful, the Silvers less so and the Kings are all outside still. Hmmm...

Can I fill a spot on Sunday 8/7? It'll probably be the only time this year I'll get out that way.
rogerbum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,
Check your PM - Sun looks like a go to me!

Roger
Falco

City/Region: Flagstaff
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Bucking Coho
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Data point re: Neah Bay

Just returned from a week at Big Salmon and catching lots of kings, cohos and pinks. Also caught a large hake trolling the surface (!) Cohos and pinks at 0-160 feet - amazing action - even just outside the harbor (around Waddah). Picked up a 35-40 lb King on a coho killer - hmmm. Snapped his pic and let him go. Awesome weather, good water, but as always lots of fog. The Raymarine C-80 got a work out.

Be extremely cautious about the gas sold at Big Salmon. My fuel water separator drain cup was _full_ (of rusty water) after 30 gallons. This gas/water mix is at $2.95/gal. Will BYOG next year.

Shop for gear at Washburn's general store, not Big Salmon. Price differential is about 1/4-1/2. Same for ice.

Try the new pizza joint just west of Big Salmon. Good pizza and really nice people. The new WarmHouse restaurant is pretty good too.

WDFW folks with guns will ticket you for catching Kings east of the Line but the WDFW with pencils (research folks) at the dock will just tell you "no, no". Go figure. I saw some rather shady characters get the talking to at the dock and after cleaning their illegal Kings went out for more that evening.

Falco
gljjr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falco,

The "Fish checkers" are not enforcement officers and don't have the authority to ticket you. It's really too bad in a way.

Thanks for the report. Sounds like the fish are still coming in. Maybe we will see a good run of Pinks this year. BTW: How were the Coho?
rogerbum

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought about 100 gals of gas there a few weeks ago with no problem. I thought the $2.95/gal price at the dock was pretty good (only a little more than the $2.76 being charged at the mini-mart around the corner). I agree with the assessment of the warm-house - the only really decent restaurant in town. The pizza place can be hit and miss - sometimes pretty good, other times just fair but usually not bad.
Falco

City/Region: Flagstaff
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Bucking Coho
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary:

Re: the coho, each day was a bit different. The wild:hatchery coho ratio varied from about 12:1 to 4:1, but all good action. It seemed like the Pinks really moved in over the course of the week I was there (7-14 Aug). Though perhaps less preferable to the coho, they made the fishing really fun (e.g., 3-4 fish on at once) and smoked up awesome (see the recipe here: http://www.salmonuniversity.com/rs_htss01_index.html). We limited each day with the landed coho to pink ratio ranging from about 1:1 to 1:2. What also was really interesting was the range of depths we were hooking up - from surface (very fun/exciting when that drag starts paying out) to fairly deep for coho and pinks (up to 160' or so). Lots of action around 30-60'. We ran two rods on downriggers and two at the surface every day. Also interesting was getting cohos on pink hootchies and pinks on coho killers and coyote spoons... A great place to fish (Tues-Sat anyway...).

Falco
gljjr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falco,

Thanks for the information. I never use anything special for Pinks as I catch just as many on my standard Green/pearl glow Hotshot and white/glow hootchie. If the fish were in that well I would have dropped a fly back in the prop wash for the silvers. Nothing more fun than hooking them that way! Sounds like you had a great time! Wish I could get out there again this year but I don't think I will. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: