The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Boat Insurance
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jill Ann

City/Region: San Diego
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Lay Up Coverage Reply with quote

Most boat insurance policies offer what is called "Lay Up" insurance. You don't need to cancel any coverages, you simply get a credit for the time you are not using the boat. There are different time amounts as in " I dont't use it for 3 months or six months" I am sure Safeco offers that type of coverage. Call your agent, you should get a good answer about "Lay Up " Insurance.

Here's why you need boat insurance, this guy at the Yacht club bought his boat for $25,000 , and he insured it for that amount but his replacement / repair amount far exceeded $25,000. I shot these video's in this spring 2012.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_76P3TN1Qw

This fire was caused by a defective refer wire onboard the first boat.
There is second video *( Part 2 ) that shows how ineffective the Mission Bay Lifeguard fire boat was. I sent these video's to every member of the San Diego City Council, the Mayor, and the San Diego Lifeguard Department...they just appropriated money for a new ire Boat.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck, Thanks, I'm probably going to do the same this fall. Soon.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some talk in another thread about boat insurance referenced this thread, and after reviewing it, just wanted to add my two cents. USAA screwed me over (along with an engineering firm involved in my case) and because of that I found American Family, headquartered nearby in Madison, WI, was a better bargain. (Long story about USAA, but short of it was they refused to pay out on a ceiling collapse, and then went on to refuse payment to an engineering firm they hired to investigate the incident. Initially USAA was more interested in getting square footage measurements of the house rather than damage information. They hired a third party examiner that came out and basically did nothing, but then they accused the engineer of doing nothing, when he is the on that did the investigation and provided them with a report. Most of USAA's work is with third parties. I will never have anything to do with USAA again, and suggest anyone else forget about using them, or at the very least compare rates with other insurers. FWIW, my issue with them happened a year or so after they had to make some huge hurricane payouts and with a change of CEO's, so perhaps they were just denying claims to save themselves money...) Colby
arra44

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its always good idea to overshoot the price of damage you think should be enough. The cost of any accident can rise very fast. If you sink your ship and create an oil spill on top of that, you are in deep trouble. By the way, do you think someone would insurance this thing? Just wondering. Very Happy
easy does it

City/Region: Redmond
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Photos: Easy Does It
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

i just went through this my company the hartford was $479 the former owner was with ussa $200 ussa will not take you unless you have a military connection so I tried liberty mutual...to much and finally progressive ..I got way better coverage including tow in on the water etc trip interuption etc for the value I stated in this case $25k for my 22 cruiser and trailer for $279...I am very happy with this deal so far!!!
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had three boats insured by Progressive. There has never been any mention of any sort of "lay up" requirement.

However, my insurance is only about $400/year and I still need it to be insured when sitting on the trailer, even when in winter storage. I don't think any sort of lay up discount would amount to much.
Vyacheslav

City/Region: Los-Angeles/california
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:10 am    Post subject: About yacht Reply with quote

Look, I found a site like this about this kind of yacht that you think? https://princess55fly.blogspot.com/p/home.html
JimTid

City/Region: Jacksonville
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Lucy
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Another Insurance thread Reply with quote

When shopping for insurance you should read the policy you are buying. This is a contract or insuring agreement between you and the insurance company. The policy explains definitions, coverages and exclusions. The policy can only be modified by an endorsement. When there is a dispute over coverage or payment and you have exhausted your appeals through claims management there is an opportunity to arbitrate or you can file suit against the insurance company. Beware of the exclusions. Also look at the depreciation schedule on outboard motors. Some policies depreciate motors and some don't. This will affect the premium.
You can add or subtract coverage as you please. This creates service work for the agent and insurance company and could lead to cancellation if done too frequently.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: