View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Lewmar Pro-Series 700 Windlass motor issues Reply with quote

Had my subject windlass stop working earlier today, and when I got home I tore it apart. Everything inside it was pretty clean and plenty grease. However, the problem was, you couldn't budge it either up or down. I took the motor out and tore it apart, and found the problem. There are what look like 4 magnets around the inside of the outer casing. One of the magnets had broken loose and jammed. Everything else looks like it is fine. Except that one magnet that broke loose is pretty well buggered up. Here's the question. I will probably see if a local electric motor shop can repair it, but otherwise, is there anyone here educated or experienced with these 12 vt motors? Could I just remove that one magnet, clean up the rest and put it back together, and if so, would that reduce the power of the motor much? The magnet is still mostly in one piece. But it looks like a part of it was chipped off or rubbed off. Would it be worthwhile to epoxy it back in place after cleaning it up? I don't care to buy a new windlass right now, and not even sure I need to buy a new motor (assuming I could even get one), if this one can be repaired. Colby
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby-

That motor is a "permanent magnet electric motor" which uses permanent magnets instead of field windings around the outside of the turning central armature in it's design. This is a common design for DC (Direct Current as opposed to AC or Alternating Current) electric motors.

A small chip out of one of four magnets shouldn't make too much difference in the motor's performance. The trick will be how to glue or affix the magnet back in place. That's where I would call the electric motor shop and seek their advice and help if needed. If the magnet is really buggered up, try fining a replacement, either through your local shop or Lewmar.

P.S.: Don't get the magnet glued in backwards (reversing the magnetic field)!

Good Luck!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could find a C-Brat that has a "used" 600 and see if the motor magnets are the same. I dumped mine after I disassembled it, but maybe someone saved theirs.

If all else fails, here's a website for Lewmar 700 Parts. That motor is $200. Not free but cheaper than a new windlass.

BTW, those windlasses are made in Thailand. I certainly hope it doesn't happen to mine.

Boris
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here is a photo of the motor casing, and loose magnet:

I've already prepped it all by cleaning and sanding where I need to reattach the magnet. If you look closely in the photo, maybe you can see how part of the detached magnet is missing a little layer on part of it. Since I want to get this back together, and it's a weekend.... I decided to use some JB Kwik Weld. A few more hours and I'll put the motor back together and see if it works. It all seems well, then I'll put the Windlass back together, get it back on the boat and see how it works tomorrow at the lake. I'm hoping everything is good. If so, I saved myself at least $200. (And my back from pulling the anchor manually!) Colby P.s. BTW Boris, thanks for the website link. I'm filing that one away in case I need to use it!
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All worked well today, so that fix seemed to do the trick! Colby
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Boris, thanks for the link on Lewmar parts, I have a broken "finger" which I guess is called a Control Arm which presses down on the chain/rope into the gypsy. Not sure if mine is a 600 or 700, will have to look up original paperwork. But thanks -- you never know what others' problems will help solve your own!
Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: