The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bow roller for Manson Supreme 15 lb. anchor?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to follow up on this thread. Thanks again to all who responded when I originally posed the question Thumbs Up

I ordered both the Sea Dog roller that Sam has (photo repeated below for comparison, after the new photo), and the same roller in "extended" form. I wanted to compare the two* on the boat before choosing one. The regular one is 19-1/4" overall length, while the extended version is a little over 4" longer, at 23-5/8". The extra length is in the channel section that lies on deck. As you can see, the bail is also slightly different between the two.

The 15 lb. Manson Supreme fit nicely on both rollers, the main difference being that the extended roller covers more of the deck at the after end. I don't have a windlass mounted (yet), but I looked at some photos of the Lewmar 700H to see where it landed on deck, because I wanted to have room for a windlass in future.

After playing around with the roller/anchor, I decided I preferred the extended roller, and I mounted it with the after end just forward of where the non-skid starts on the foredeck. This gave good clearance for the tip of the anchor vs. the stem of the boat, and should allow room for the windlass abaft. I did drill one additional fastening hole in the roller forward of the original three (that fasten the roller to the deck). Here is a photo of how it looks installed:

The Sea Dog part number for the extended roller is 328064R

http://www.sea-dog.com/groups/2191-extended-bow-roller

Here is a repeat of Sam's photo of the regular-length version of the roller on his 22 for comparison (this roller was apparently stock on "later 2000's" 22's:

Sunbeam Hot

*Curiously, I noted that on the regular-length roller, the lock nut on the roller/axle fastener didn't go all the way on (in other words fastener appeared to be a bit too short). It is plenty long on the extended roller. I later saw another regular-length roller and its axle/fastener was equally short - not sure if they are all that way, but maybe something to check. It wasn't so short that I would expect it to instantly fly off, but the fastener did not come all the way past the lock nut, like I would expect it to.
involute

City/Region: Oregon City
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, have you used your Manson supreme and the new roller? I am curious to hear how you like the Supreme 15lb. How does it compare to what you had previously?
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used it yet, so I can't report one way or the other. And the boat came to me with a Danforth, which I also never used, but which I knew I didn't want as a primary anchor).

Sam (Dauntless20) has the Manson Supreme 15-pounder, and I believe he used it all summer on his trip to Alaska. I think he was pleased with it, but you could check with him.

Sunbeam
kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam

Thanks for the info. I did not realize you had already addressed the same issue. Ken
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries and glad it could help someone else out Thumbs Up

I see that my link above is broken (I "organized" some of my albums without realizing it would break the links), so this gives me a chance to re-post the photo of the extended version roller, installed:

Here is is again. I think I pretty much lined up the part that overhangs the bow with how the shorter roller would be, and then let the extra run further aft on the foredeck:

bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Bow roller for Manson Supreme 15lb. anchor? Reply with quote

Still hoping that someone who has switched to the 15lb Manson can tell us what they think of their new anchor and how it compares against their old anchor? I presently have the 16lb Bruce and I'm always looking to improve my boat, especially if there is no drilling of holes Laughing

Martin.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, I think Sam from Retriever ("20Dauntless") had a different anchor before going to the 15# Manson Supreme for his primary. Maybe a claw type? I believe he posted recently saying that he was very satisfied with the Supreme on his summer voyage last year - and I imagine he used the other anchor a number of times before switching - but perhaps if you PM'ed him he'd make a more direct comparison (I PM'ed him a few times earlier in this thread and as you can see he was very helpful).

Sunbeam
(haven't used mine yet)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the 22 Manson Supreme and compared with a number of other similar sized anchors--excellent holding. I used it for a month in AK as well as on other trips.

The roller I have on my 22, looks as if it would work with the 15, but it is a longer roller than some of the boats have.

Don't ask me about the Claw type--since I have not had a good experience with the light ones.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
bridma

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Bow roller for Manson Supreme 15lb. anchor ? Reply with quote

I do not have a windlass. Is anyone using the 15lb Manson Supreme and recovering by hand? How is that working out? I'm thinking that it may dig in so good, my anchor wench will not be able to handle it. Do I need to use the boat under power to break it out? Most anchoring around my area is sand/mud/gravel.

Martin.
kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard enough positive feedback that I just installed the 15lb Mason Supreme on a new Sea Dog anchor roller (same roller Sam has on Retriever). I did bed the roller with a 3"x13" piece of mahogany with a shank slot to limit lateral movement of the anchor in the roller. I'll post a pic when I remember how. Smile

Martin, No experience yet with holding power and wench attitude. I suspect that providing the wench with a little encouragment would increase performance?

All these good ideas everyone has are sure getting expensive. Smile
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Manson Anchor would be right for the Tomcat 255? We have a Bruce type anchor and it is not sufficient in the northwest. Won't get a grab in any type of kelp situation. When in Florida it wouldn't grab in the weed and mud over coral and limestone bottom. We seem to drag anchor a lot. We have 65' of chain and usually use 5:1 scope.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam, your starting this thread & the information here in, has sure saved me a lot of hit & miss searching on my own.

With my new 15 lb Manson Supreme anchor, 50 foot of chain & 250 feet of 1/2 inch 8 plait rode arriving soon, I now know too, just what anchor roller to purchase & how best to mount it.

Martin, I've retrieved the 22 lb Claw or Bruce style anchor with 30 feet of chain & 3/8 three strand rode from many anchorages during the last 10 years all by hand & with the change to the 15 Lb Manson will continue. The 15 Lb Manson with 50 feet of 1/4 inch chain is very near the same weight as my old set up & I think it will be much easier to retrieve due to the 1/2 inch 8 plait rode. Many times we have had to use the boat to break the claw style with its wide shovel point free following a good set & the oversized claw will take a worry free set into a bottom with sticky mud & clam shell mix. I would think the Manson with it's much narrower & sharper point will make hand retrieval from a good set easier to do. Of course pulling by hand can be a real chore with the addition of a big star fish & kelp hanging from the chain & anchor along with mud on the anchor or after repeated times of trying to get the anchor to set especially if this is occurring in deeper water. I'm looking forward to some of that chore's elimination or at least reduction with our new Manson Supreme anchor & thicker braided rode.

So far I haven't felt the need for a windless due to me being physically capable of doing it by hand, not wanting the expense to purchase & the additional maintenance & chance of failure on a extended cruise from another electrical-mechanical device, but if my cruise plans involved extended solo cruising it would become a top priority to install.

Jay

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent, The Manson 25 or Ronca 22 are equivalent and sized for the Tom Cat and C Dory25. The rated load on the Ronca 22 is about 13,000#--what ever that means...

The Ronca/Manson does well in mud, (better than Delta, but maybe not as well as the fortress for soft mud--very well in hard mud and shell/over coral--depending on depth of mud. The weeds--probably OK--but you are not supposed to anchor in the sea grass. Best ia a fisherman type of shape flukes--the Manson would be right up there. Good in sand and kelp--but again you have to get the fluke or spade below the kelp or grass into the sea bad.

As for getting them out. The Ronca Fisherman or Manson Supreme both have the slotted shank--this allows a back ward pull if the anchor is wedged under tree or bolder/cable etc. In normal holding any anchor should be pulled out by the boat, not the Wench or Winch. Come up short, take a load on the forward cleat and then put a little power on the boat--anchor should come right out. I did my tests in an 18 footer with 140 hp. Could not budge the Manson with full 140 hp-in forward. But when I shortened it up, and took a few turns, the slid right out. There was some residual mud and shells on the anchor,so it was more than the 25 lbs coming up, be easily handled.

Now you all have me wanting to try the 15!
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunkydory wrote:
Sunbeam, your starting this thread & the information here in, has sure saved me a lot of hit & miss searching on my own.

It's great that the thread is providing info - and gaining more too - as time goes by. Major props to Sam for following up with the info on his roller, even as he was in the middle of a summer cruise.

thataway wrote:

Now you all have me wanting to try the 15!

Heh, well it could be "worse".... I'm now wanting to put that windlass back on my list!

Hunkydory wrote:
So far I haven't felt the need for a windless... but if my cruise plans involved extended solo cruising it would become a top priority to install.
bridma

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Bow roller for Manson Supreme 15lb. anchor? Reply with quote

Manson Supreme 15lbs now safely installed on Nomad. The roller and bail were perfect for my late model 22. The 16lb Bruce has gone into the forward v-berth locker as the secondary anchor. Thank you guys for all the info and help on this subject.

Now comes the hard bit, explaining to the Admiral Surprised

Martin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: