The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

What have you added to your boat that you wish you hadn't?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Joe, take a look at pic 27 in the Moose album. Looks lilke antlers to me....

Laughing

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, they're there all right, at least in some of the later photos, though I admit they don't stand out in any of them. We don't often go to shore and it's devilish hard to get a good picture of the boat while standing on it! I'll try to get some better pics this season.

One of the reasons we named the boat MOOSE was the historic connection to an early 1900s steam tug of the same name that used to ply our home waters. The "Historic Moose" photo in our album boasts a set of antlers as well, so yes, I think they're a requirement.

And Mark, as for the hole patching, I think the C-Dog site still features a link to an outfit, whose name escapes me at the moment, that sells small gel coat kits specific to C-Dory, among others. For small holes I just patched with the gel coat, but for a larger one, I first backed the hole with duct tape and filled it with MarineTex. When that was dry, I ripped off the tape, and ground out the other, gel coat, side a bit with a Dremel. Then I applied the gel coat with a spatula. The stuff is nice to work with, it's the consistency of vaseline, but mix it up in small batches because it seems to shrink a bit on drying and I had to go over some patches several times to get up to flush. I then sanded the excess off with 220 grit and a sanding block and then switched to finer and finer grit. I actually used a random orbital sander with some really fine paper I use on lacquered banjo finishes. The gel coat, when dry seems like really tough stuff, so as long as you don't go too nuts, one doesn't have to worry about sand throughs. Then a little buffing and or waxing and you're good as new!
Al

catdogcat

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Plankton
Photos: catdogcat - TBA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After looking around a while I found the place that sells color matched gel coat kits for C dorys:

http://www.spectrumcolor.com/
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been a few times I wished I hadn't added three feet to my CD22, especially when fishing. However, already having the CD25 when the family size doubled turned out to be a blessing.

Can't think of anything of a gadget nature I wish I didn't have, but several past projects could have benefitted from a bit more planning and a little less impulse.

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie-

Thanks for te clue-in! Didn't see them in looking through the thumbnails.

Still think its a great idea/stroke of genius! Let's see, what else would look good like that................???????? Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once had a big pair (6ft spread) of water buffalo horns inlaid with "ivory" (think it was bamboo though) that I brought back from the Phillipines. Had them hung in the bedroom until my bride objected by threatening to move out Smile . Wish I still had them, they'd look great on visor. Don't even remember what happened to them. Still have the first mate but not the horns! Wink

I'm pretty sure Dusty had a pair too, us carrier sailors brought back great bunches of stuff! Had a camel saddle or two also....They'd have made great fish fighting chairs! Shocked Shocked
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, Charlie, mount them there water buffalo horns up there on the roof with that camel saddle and install remote electronic steering & controls and you'd have a real flying bridge! At least until they got the net over you and took you away.....Joe.
Redƒox

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally figured it out Exclamation Exclamation The hydrofoil (single-engine application) makes for one tippy-feeling boat while underway Exclamation
I think from now on I'll steer-clear of any make unit. Took my second one off (trying and experimenting for years) lately to see if it helped with cavitation; it did! (bad model with blunt-edges---sorta cool looking though) but the most evident thing was the great sure-footed-feeling of the thing being gone after a years use. I have huge trim-tabs: 12x16 Xmas Eek don't really need a hydro' anyway. Did any of that make sense Crook

Good topic Joe Thumbs Up Catchin-up a little today. Finally. I'm worn-out and tired. Good time for the Pub Thumbs Up
Forty Two

City/Region: Prince William Sound
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Black Cat
Photos: Barrel O Monkeys
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is not much room on a TC for instrumentation, and I don't know what a better choice would be, but I got the Furuno NavNet combination radar/sonar/gps chartplotter - all on a single 7" screen. The equipment is nice enough but I would much rather have separate screens for each instrument. I can display any 2 at a time, but all squinched down to half screen size. And if I put sonar info on with the GPS, the speed and course info box disappears. And the radar keeps defaulting to @$$ backwards display - things behind me appear at the top of the screen. Anyway - the equipment is great, but the combination is not as user friendly as I would like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: