The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cape Cruiser Boats
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
egnsto

City/Region: Shoreline
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Cape Cruiser Boats Reply with quote

I was driving by the old C-Dory plant today; I saw a boat sitting out front so I stoped in. I talked to Ben Toland, who built a 18.8 back in the early 90's. He said that his father designed the original C-Dory 22. Ben has recently got back into the manufacturing industry with a 23-foot cruiser.
I just went to his web site at www.capecruiserboats.com there are quit a few photos there, it looks really nice. Steve[/b]
Luna C

City/Region: Lake Goodwin/Center Island
C-Dory Year: 2019
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Panthera
Photos: Luna C
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks quite a bit like a C-Dory... Saw the website last week.
Leo Smith

City/Region: West Seattle
Photos: Leo
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: capecruiser Reply with quote

Hi C-Brats,
I owned a Toland 18-8 for 6-1/2 years and it was a wonderful boat. Ben is an artist when it comes to his design and tooling skills. I can't tell from the photos how the hull shape compares to a C-Dory, but I do see the C-Dory heritage with the bow and house. Great looking boat from the photos!
Best Regards, Leo.
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the mpg figures. That check with the Honda owners?

A good looking boat.
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those numbers are great. And the Toland boats will, without doubt, be top of the line.

Dusty

Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lookin' cruiser.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting.... wonder if they have any of their old 27-30' molds laying about the area... I have thought of building one for dinner/sunset cruises over here....and enlosing it in winter months as to allow people who down here just dream of being ON the water during our 4-5 months of "off season" time.... Hummmm
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, cool - now we know where Gene and Buck are and what they are doing (just a guess on Buck, but I would be shocked if Gene didn't drag him along)...These guys were the heart and soul of the "old" four-boats-a-month operation. I can pretty well imagine how they would have preferred it to the new twenty-five-boats-a-month operation...

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

C-Bill

City/Region: Carson City
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: CharkBait
Photos: CharkBait
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Toland's know boats!!! Very Happy This could get interesting!
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately see the C-Dory in it -- the cabin size is comparable to the Angler model.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting! Look closely and you'll see that they've tried to correct some of the"faults" or limitations of the CD-22 Cruiser, the best all-around all-weather pocket yacht in this, or perhaps any other, line of boats.

I'm wondering how this timing has been determined. Has it been 10 or 15 years since a sales contract agreement between the Tolands and the original purchaser? Usually these contain stipulations that the original party will not enter into a competing line of business for a specified time to prevent them from turning around and going head to head with the company/business they've just sold.

Then again, it just could be that the temptation to get in on the C-Dory Bonanza is just to tempting to PA$$ UP! They factory currently is rushing to keep up with production and produce new products like the TC-25. The Skagit-Orca and Olympic lines eat up valuable time and produce lower profit margins due to their more labor intense construction techniques.

While the new CapeDory i definitely a C-Dory clone, I'm not liking the lines as well as the genuine article. The new boat is more utilitarian in appearance and doesn't have the lines that fully develop the Monterey Trawler look as personified best in the CD-22. But this is also somewhat true of the CD-25, and especially the TC-24, which doesn't really attempt to do so. If you want to see another interesting example of failure to fuse the cabin design with the original concept, look at the Nordic Tugs. The hull lines look fine, but the cabin looks like it was designed with only a T-Square and some triangles, having all straight up and horizonal lines. Looks like they went to a RV Trailer designer for the cabin rendering (!!!).

There are a lot of "improvements" in the Cape Dory:

flat cockpit floor
longer cockpit
full width taller cabin roof (no trunk/middle step up)
rear cockpit wall is full height across engine well
transom corners are angled down
hull is deeper vee'd at entry and at rear
cockpit entry steps are longer
smaller rear windows
full length clear (tinted) cabin door
galley is molded fiberglass with included sink and electric pump (c.1987)
refrigerator/ice box is under Wallas at rear*
larger, single, sliding side windows
pantographic windshield wipers
larger, aluminum gas tanks

etc., etc., etc.,......need to see real boat!

Whether all of these are actual improvements will have to be determined in due time.

*necessitating taking out refrigerator to send Mrs. Wallas to Dr. Karl for any "delicate" problems?

And the beat goes on....Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Little Catelyn

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Little Catelyn
Photos: Little Catelyn
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might have been a tough choice, had I seen this prior to ordering my boat. Probably would still have gone with the C-Dory, but it would have been nice to have had another boat to consider.

Little bigger, yet a little lighter --- hmm. Will be interesting to see how the complete interior will look. And a Barber chair?

Competition is usually a good thing, but I think these boats are just a little too similar.

Corwin
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, aside from the fact that the parent post in this topic has all the appearances of a Cape Cruiser factory "plant" to get our attention (account has only one post, Hotmail email address, no profile information, subject and body sounds a little too much like an ad, no response to the many follow-ups), here's my two c's...

I've seen Leo's old Toland 18-8, and it was indeed a gorgeous boat. Obvious extra attention to fit and finish were evident; the interior in particular was much more refined. Given this and Ben's association with the originators of the C-Dory design, I've no doubt the Cape Cruiser will be a fine boat.

What remains to be seen, is how this will affect C-Dory. From my readings and conversations with folks who know the history much better than me, the Toland's have never been a huge commercial success. They've been content to build far fewer boats, built their own way, passing up the opportunity to grow in the way C-Dory has. While I can't fault this philosophy, my bet is the Cape Cruiser will have virtually zero effect on C-Dory's bottom line.

In fact, Cape Cruiser may be a good thing for C-Dory, and more importantly, for us as customers. While it's obvious to me Cape Cruiser is attempting to ride the success of C-Dory in promoting their boat, the "borrowing" of ideas goes both ways. C-Dory, particularly in recent years since we've been giving them so much feedback, has shown to be very receptive to updates. Nothing is stopping them from incorporating new ideas from Cape Cruiser into C-Dory models.

Add to that, C-Dory has a massive edge in support and service with their growing dealer network, and should have more pull with suppliers resulting in lower production costs. End result being, a less expensive boat, still of very high quality, but possibly less refined.

Which I'll suggest, is more in tune with the market C-Dory is selling into. My guess is, the Cape Cruiser will be a niche boat, and will primarily sell in the Pacific Northwest where folks are in close proximity to the factory. This seems to be the case with previous Toland ventures.

As to the specs and aesthetics - while I like many of the design features mentioned at the Cape Cruiser web site, I don't like the overall looks anywhere near as much as a 22 Cruiser. It's nowhere near as salty; it has a sophistication about it that is lacking in a 22 Cruiser, but I like that! To my eye, the C-Dory is a little less, shall we say, pretentious. Also - while it sounds like the hull design was modified in order to smooth out some of the slap we get in the chop with our C-Dorys, it comes at the expense of draft - the Cape Cruiser needs 6" more water (7" vs. 13"). To me, those draft inches are like gold - I'd much rather slow down in the choppy stuff and keep the ability to go places other boats can't venture. There are two places I've been in my relatively short C-Dory carreer where 13" of draft wouldn't have cut the mustard...

Anyway, yes - things should get interesting.

Leo Smith

City/Region: West Seattle
Photos: Leo
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi C-Brats,
I did a lot of agonizing between a 22' C-Dory and the Toland 18-8 before I made my purchase. At the time, C-Dory was building only 22' and 16' models, during the last years of the Toland family ownership. The upgraded fit and finish of the Toland 18-8 was the tipping point. Numerous design refinements such as the recessed anchor locker, raised cockpit floor, upgraded interior cabinets, and a Wallas kerosene heater as STANDARD equipment made this boat stand out as a great pocket cruiser. I had no regrets about purchasing this boat.

As to design, I think it is all in the eye of the beholder. Some folks like the traditional raked windshields on the Skagit Orcas, others prefer the reversed raked windshields found on Sea Sports. The Cape Cruiser to my eye is not as "Salty" looking as a C-Dory, but now we are getting into subjective stuff, like the Ford/ Dodge/ Chevy truck debates. (BTW I drive a Ford F-150)

I welcome the return of Ben Toland to the boat building industry and wish Cape Criuisers the best of success. There is room in the industry for well-designed and well-built boats. It will be interesting to see how the CapeCruisers are priced and sold.

Best Regards, Leo.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to watch this. Sort of makes me go hummmm....with Gene the production manager for Scott/Jeff/C-Dory...and his "quick" transition building something so similar (loyalty to who feeds you missing here??)....and taking the feedback from this and other owners group, and other owners with him too... Hopefully this can and will work itself all out, and both boat lines benefit in the long haul.. Some folks simply prefer the working environment of a shop that simply builds a small number of niche boats. I still think my C-Dory is a niche boat..., and I still think the input from all of us owners is a wealth of true feedback that Scott/Jeff/C-Dory ARE WILLING TO LISTEN TO AND ADJUST. I may be 180 out on this...but it seems that I recall several conversations about Toland, as good of boat as they seem to be, not wanting to change "THEIR" way of building...a niche boat..... which to me is in itself why I own a niche boat...C-Dory...built in and from a plant that in my humble opinion, listens, and responds to THEIR customers... Try this... Call Sea Ray and tell them you want to change the design of the head..... and you do not want all that fancy stuff to clean all the time when the dog runs thru your boat after just running down the river bank and climbing on board, or....that Sea Ray does catch you blind and beam too, and tosses the shrimp boil into the floor...and you simply just need to turn the raw water wash down INSIDE the boat... I don't like fancy.... I leave that when I dismount my tow vehicle... which reminds me... I need to go clean my leather seats... Some very good comments from others too. Cheers..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: