Scuppers on the Tomcat (and 25)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like you added sump idea but hear you when it comes to added pumps.

How about using the fishbox macerator pumps to do both jobs? I am not familiar with the underdeck on the Tomcat but could you plumb both existing pumps to one central sump and just throw a valve or two to switch modes on the pumps?

How do you use the existing macerator pumps as in how often and for what purpose and when?

If the added sump fills and pumps fail you could install a manual pump as well and some creative wiring could separate the pumps from the boat enough to add reliability in some situations.

Sounds like a fun project. If only I had a 25 still.....

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks

other misc questions

Do you have a high water alarm?

I am not familiar with a TomCat's bilge. Does water fill the bilge and sponsons? or are part of sponsons partitioned off from the bilge?

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurelia wrote:
I actually like you added sump idea but hear you when it comes to added pumps.

How about using the fishbox macerator pumps to do both jobs? I am not familiar with the underdeck on the Tomcat but could you plumb both existing pumps to one central sump and just throw a valve or two to switch modes on the pumps?

That's a possibility. But it's more than just putting in a float switch in parallel with the existing manual switch. I'd also need to have a valve to switch the pump over from emptying the fish box to emptying the sump. Since I want to use the fish boxes and the sump at the same time, separate pumps would be better.

Aurelia wrote:

How do you use the existing macerator pumps as in how often and for what purpose and when?
<stuff clipped>

Greg

I use the macerators fairly often - like multiple times per fishing trip. The Tomcat has two fairly large fish wells built into the cockpit floor. When you put fish in, the fish are generally bloody (we bleed the fish out immediately after catching) and the occasionally will spit up whatever they've been eating (generally other smaller fish). The purpose of the macerator is to allow us to pump out the fish boxes when there is blood and pieces of fish in the ice water.
BrentB wrote:
thanks

other misc questions

Do you have a high water alarm?

I am not familiar with a TomCat's bilge. Does water fill the bilge and sponsons? or are part of sponsons partitioned off from the bilge?

I do have a high water alarm that was installed by the previous owner. The bilge area IS the aft end of the sponsons - one bilge pump in each sponson. The sponsons are separated from each other by the hump in the middle of the boat and there are some bulkheads (with wiring holes in them) that create some partial compartmentalization bow to stern. There are no bilge pumps in the bow area and that's another potential problem should one penetrate the bow area of a sponson. By the time water from the bow is reaching the bilge area, one would have serious problems.

BrentB

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger

any update?
Dory-Ling

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: scupers on 25 Reply with quote

It's the angle and location more than the size. Before replacing ours with ones bought locally from the "Coleman skiff" folks, I could sit at the helm and watch water come and go thru mine.

Super easy fit up as well as an opportunity to correct some of that shoddy workmanship! Their a skosh larger which gave me the ability to reposition them more square with the stern, correcting the factory 1.2 error.

Oh yea, the angle will bring them to horizontal which keeps them from hanging open all the time!

Martin
rogerbum

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent asked for an update here awhile ago and then again on another thread. The bottom line to date is that I replaced the scuppers with a model that are single piece plastic all the way through. I kept the old ones with the idea that I might get around to making new ones out of stainless and I'll use the old ones as a model. The newer plastic ones are better than the older plastic ones in that they don't have a stainless ring on the inside of the transom that can separate from the tube leading to the scupper. The scupper flaps were replaced and that's all I've done. I decided again the sump idea as I really didn't want two more pumps to maintain/replace (there are already 7 pumps on board).

I also had two inspection plates put on the deck (near the aft corners) that make it easier to get to the macerator pumps on the fish boxes and to get to the bilge pumps. I'm thinking I might replace the lids on those with clear lids so I can see into the bilge at all times.
BrentB

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks

Do you have dri deck in the cockpit?
rogerbum

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrentB wrote:
thanks

Do you have dri deck in the cockpit?

No. Dri-deck would only be marginally useful in the cockpit since I have two large fishwells in the floor that I need to easily access. Also, it's not like I'm standing in water, it's that when I rinse the floor off with the raw water wash down, I need to go slowly so thing drain out of the scuppers. But as I said before, the bottom line problem is that "self bailing" doesn't work so well when there is much drop to the water line. I'll probably take care of that someday (with a bigger boat). Laughing
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger, what is the model of the scuppers you installed?

Obviously, all 25's have the same problem, but I've never found and scupper valve that would fit.

Boris
rogerbum

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
Roger, what is the model of the scuppers you installed?

Obviously, all 25's have the same problem, but I've never found and scupper valve that would fit.

Boris

I should correct/clarify the post. The parts I had changed are the cockpit drains which are connected to the scuppers with flexible plastic hose. The original cockpit drains were constructed out of two pieces/ea. The back part (connected by tubing to the scupper) was green plastic and the forward part (which you see looking aft from inside the cockpit was metal. On one of my drains, the metal separated from the plastic part and as a result the plastic part was dangling inside the sponson (below the water level). Since the metal ring part that was designed to retain the plastic piece was still visible from the cockpit side, one wouldn't even notice the separation - e.g. it still appeared like a dark black hole. The replacement parts are one piece molded plastic. I don't know the part numbers for those - Les's crew at EQ installed them. The scuppers are the original scuppers.
BrentB

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any update?

If you are adding a sump, what would be the setup?
BTDT

City/Region: Grand Lake Oklahoma
State or Province: OK
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: C- Lark Wine Down
Photos: C-Lark
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW- The previous owner of my Tomcat (Squidslayer) added bilge pumps to the fish holding tanks and closed off the macerators. He put some mat over the pumps to prevent jamming. When I'm running heavy the bilge pumps in the fish tank pump any excess water overboard including wash-down water. The pumps are on four foot hoses so it's really easy to lift them out and clean or replace them, versus the contortions it takes to replace a macerator pump under the deck. The bilge pumps are powered from the switch group next to the rear bait tank so you can use the automatic mode or run them continuously when doing a deck wash-down. I also have expanding thermos type plugs that close off the deck drains leaving water disposal to the two pumps in the fish holding tanks if I so choose.

With this setup, you might consider removing the rear rubber lid cover seals on the fish holding tanks to improve drainage from deck drains to fish holding tanks?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: