The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Sleeping on the Marinaut
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoseDoctor

City/Region: Olympia/Pacific Northwest
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: Marinaut 215
Vessel Name: SEEKER
Photos: SEEKER
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Sleeping on the Marinaut Reply with quote

My wife, Marilyn, and I just bought the first Marinaut "Dave's Boat" now known as Seeker. She is all ready to go. We are putting her in the water (Puget Sound) on Monday. We have been reading your posts with great interest and are grateful for all the work you have put into them. We are wondering what sort of sleeping arrangement you finally settled on after all the things you tried. Would you be willing to share this information with us?
Gary and Marilyn
'

'
'
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Sleeping on the Marinaut Reply with quote

On our C-Dory we slept with our heads facing he rear of the boat. I would recommend adding a four inch memory foam available online through Wal-Mart. The kind we purchased had two different layers of memory foam one being more dense than the other. One layer a cream color and the other was a light grey color. They were bonded together. Then using your current cushions as a template mark the foam with a Sharpie magic marker and use an electric knife to cut the memory foam to size. Then we had a canvas guy cover the memory foam with a non slip vinyl on the bottom and canvas on the sides with zippers and the same canvas on top. Then we just used a comforter on the bottom to sleep on and another comforter to cover us. If you buy two different weight comforters when its warm use the lighter one on top and when it's colder sleep on the light one and use the heavier one on top. I don't have a boat exactly like yours but I've done this on a couple boats and we sleep a lot better on top of the memory foam.
D.D.

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We sleep feet forward. We use the stock V-berth cushions, a couple of sleeping bags, and a comforter or blankets depending on the season.

We find the stock v-berth cushion to be quite comfortable, but then we prefer a firmer mattress at home.

We also did not cut out the bulkhead. We prefer a separation of the sleeping space from the "living" space. It makes the berth more private and "cozy".

IMO, the clearance in the berth from the mattress to ceiling (on the 22 anyway) is not a whole lot. Adding 4 or more inches of mattress would seem to cut a significant amount of that out and make things maybe too "cozy" in there.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that adding 4" to the height of the mattress would seem to make that space "tight". Seems like with that much topper you could just use it to replace the existing pads and be fine, of course that is just my opinion from here and YMMV.

As to head forward or feet forward, I used to do the feet forward, (next to the anchor locker) but after an injury last summer, making it nearly impossible to crawl in, and turn around and then get into the bag, I discovered:

1. It was much easier to just crawl into the space, (head to anchor), and then
2. With my head at the front of the boat it is nice to be able to look out through the cabin and out the cabin door. Much better view. Much easier access in and out.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

RoseDoctor

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any problem with condensation forming between the cushions and the fiberglass beneath?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoseDoctor wrote:
Any problem with condensation forming between the cushions and the fiberglass beneath?

Yes

Google "HyperVent". There are also some threads in the forum.

We have used back packing pads, and seem to work about as well. (under as well as up the inside of the hull. So far we have not bothered to cover the side of the hull with canvas or other cloth. Makes it easier to remove if cleaning is necessary.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
C-Nile

City/Region: Connecticut
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Betty Ann
Photos: C-Nile
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize for entering this discussion late, but the Marinaut is not a C-Dory 22. Unless a couple is in peak physical condition, is slightly built, and has extraordinary gymnastic agility, I don't see how they could even get into the position to sleep feet forward. That is why we sleep with her heads toward the bow. There's plenty of room, and it is relatively easy to crawl in and out.

With respect to padding, we still have not gotten it exactly right, although we're getting there. Right now, we are using 2 inches of foam on top of the berth cushions. We fashioned a mattress pad out of an extra long sleeping bag that we cut to the dimensions of the berth. Like most sleeping bags, there is a warm fleece side, and a cool fabric side. In cool weather we sleep on the former, and in hot weather on the latter. Comfort wise, it seems that we are getting pressure points, which would indicate that we need slightly more padding. What doesn't help is that we've gained a few pounds since we bought the boat in 2011.

As for Hypervent, it raises the berth cushion up slightly, causing a slight reduction in headroom. It also makes the sleeping arrangements slightly less comfortable. However, it is very necessary when water temperatures are cold, because it nearly completely eliminates condensation under the cushions. When the water temperature gets over 70°, Hypervent is not necessary, and in those conditions we have found that condensation does not form.

C-Nile

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize for entering this discussion late, but the Marinaut is not a C-Dory 22. Unless a couple is in peak physical condition, is slightly built, and has extraordinary gymnastic agility, I don't see how they could even get into the position to sleep feet forward. That is why we sleep with her heads toward the bow. There's plenty of room, and it is relatively easy to crawl in and out.

With respect to padding, we still have not gotten it exactly right, although we're getting there. Right now, we are using 2 inches of foam on top of the berth cushions. We fashioned a mattress pad out of an extra long sleeping bag that we cut to the dimensions of the berth. Like most sleeping bags, there is a warm fleece side, and a cool fabric side. In cool weather we sleep on the former, and in hot weather on the latter. Comfort wise, it seems that we are getting pressure points, which would indicate that we need slightly more padding. What doesn't help is that we've gained a few pounds since we bought the boat in 2011.

As for Hypervent, it raises the berth cushion up slightly, causing a slight reduction in headroom. It also makes the sleeping arrangements slightly less comfortable. However, it is very necessary when water temperatures are cold, because it nearly completely eliminates condensation under the cushions. When the water temperature gets over 70°, Hypervent is not necessary, and in those conditions we have found that condensation generally does not form.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Nile wrote:
....Unless a couple is in peak physical condition, is slightly built, and has extraordinary gymnastic agility, I don't see how they could even get into the position to sleep feet forward. ....

We are of average physical condition, average build, and certainly not gymnasts. We have no problem getting in and out of the berth and sleeping feet forward. The only issue is that only one person can enter/leave at a time.

We also find that with the bulkhead intact, it is easier for one person to sleep/nap in the berth while the other person is awake in the cabin.
RoseDoctor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Sleeping conditions Reply with quote

As for Hypervent, it raises the berth cushion up slightly, causing a slight reduction in headroom. It also makes the sleeping arrangements slightly less comfortable. However, it is very necessary when water temperatures are cold, because it nearly completely eliminates condensation under the cushions. When the water temperature gets over 70°, Hypervent is not necessary, and in those conditions we have found that condensation generally does not form.[/quote]

Hi C-NILE, I was hoping you would enter the discussion since I have read virtually all of your posts on C-Brats since we bought our Marinaut 215 a year ago. And thanks so much for putting all that useful information into your posts. It has been very valuable to us.

We're getting her equipped to cruise Puget Sound this summer and the Hypervent/condensation topic keeps coming up. I am planning on following your advice and getting some Hypervent for our boat. I'm thinking that in the center section of the V-birth, where there will be no Hypervent, it might be useful for me to add a 3/4" strip of wood around the edges of the cushion so it is at the same height as the outer cushions. Does this make sense to you? Have you done this yourself?

I seem also to remember that you mentioned something about Les suggesting you paint the inside with enamel. Was that your comment? If so, could you elaborate on that please? Why do you do it? What kind of enamel?

Nice to hear from you and looking forward to further conversations.
Gary
C-Nile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Gary,

Seeker is a beautiful boat, and we know you will enjoy her in your neck of the woods. I'm envious; the PNW has such beautiful cruising grounds. My wife and I regard the three weeks we spent in the PNW on board our Marinaut as one of our very best vacations. So we hope you will enjoy your boat for many years to come. Incidentally, many friends and family ask if we intend to get a bigger boat -- no way! This is our 6th season, and we could not be happier with our selection.

As for the need to raise the center cushion to compensate for the Hypervent, I really don't think it is necessary, but you would be the best judge. Your idea makes sense, however. My suggestion is to try it without any modifications first.

Les and Kathy painted the inside of our boat with Interior Latex from Ace Hardware; it's Royal Interior Enamel Semi-Gloss and it's E57 Calm Beige. The reason they did so was that the interior of our boat is coated with Mascot Delta-T Thermal Insulator paint. Personally, I love the paint. It is so easy to clean and to keep clean.

Let's keep in touch,

Rich
RoseDoctor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Sleeping on the Marinaut Reply with quote

Hi Rich,

Great to hear from you after having read and studied so many of your informative posts. You're right - the Pacific Northwest is truly God's country and we are truly blessed to have lived on the Puget Sound for nearly 40 years.

Thanks for your answer on the "enamel" question. I wasn't quite sure what that was all about. We do not have the Mascot Insulator paint inside our boat so I don't think we would need the enamel. Did I get that right?

I've got the Hypervent ordered and plan to install it soon. I'll take your advice about raising or not raising the center cushion.

My wife, Marilyn, and I have had SEEKER only about a month and we are still getting to know her. We're taking it one step at a time. First learning running, docking, gassing up, trim tabs, mooring, how to use the plotter and Autopilot, that kind of stuff.

Today we practiced anchoring using our power windlass. Nothing to it, really. We've also figured out how to board and disembark from the beach - nothing too hard here either.

Next I think we'll do some serious meal preparation on the boat - probably moored to a buoy off of Tolmie State Park - learning what we need and don't need to have with us and what works and doesn't work. Then we'll spend a night on the boat - perhaps at McMicken or Eagle Island State Park near here. Then (this is the big one) we'll learn to get our 65 pound sea kayaks on and off the boat and to get into and out of them from the boat. This will be challenging but we can do it.

We've taken a few day trips, one up to Gig Harbor and another to the Port of Olympia. We're working our way north - Tacoma and Vashon Island, Seattle, Whidbey Island, Anacortes, and finally the San Juans. Our goal for this summer is to spend a few days anchored in Echo Bay on Sucia Island and to explore the island on our kayaks.

I liked what you said about your friends asking you about getting a bigger boat. One valuable thing Les told us was: the time a boat spends on the water is inversely proportional to its length. I think he hit it right on the head. Sounds like you agree.

Let's keep the conversation going.

Gary
C-Nile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if you don't have Mascoat, I would recommend not painting the interior. Incidentally, when we had our CD 16 cruiser, we kept the interior walls clean using a solution of vinegar. Vinegar was great in removing any mold. The nice thing about the Marinaut interior cabin is that it is very dry and sealed. We don't get mold on the walls. In regard to the size of our boat, what always stuck with me was a quote from the Small Boat Journal: big boats are not better, they are only bigger. We only have one house, because at our age, the thought of all the work involved in a second house not pleasant. It takes us less than two hours every year to prepare the boat for the season.

As for Anacortes, Washington, we love Cap Santé. It is truly one of the best marinas in the country. We use our boat a little differently than yours in that our activities are exclusive to Marine we love Cap Santé. It is truly one of the best marinas in the country. We use our boat a little differently than yours in that our activities are exclusive to Marinas. In fact, our boat is ideal for Marinas.

When you're in the marinas in the height of the summer, we use an air conditioner in our port side window, and are very pleased with the results. If you were interested in detailed pictures of my arrangement, send me your email address through the private C-Brats channel. I exclusively use Apple products, and the Seabranch website has definite issues with non-Microsoft technologies.

Rich
C-Nile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Issue with Interstate Gel battery's? Reply with quote

I've just had my third Interstate battery fail within four years. Are other people having problems with Interstate batteries? One theory I have is that the charge rate may be too high for Gel batteries. However, a person at my marina told me that her two Interstate batteries purchased last year had failed, yet she had never used her boat. I had a 7-year old Cabela's gel battery that was used only a few times, and which maintains a good charge. I'm using it in my boat this season. It will be an interesting experiment to see how long this battery will last. I'll keep the group posted on the results.

Incidentally, the Interstate battery is guaranteed, albeit it is prorated. At this point, I don't wish to throw good money after bad. In all fairness to Interstate, this may not be their issue, which is why I want to see what happens with the Cabelas battery over the next two years. Has anyone in the C-brats community had similar issues?
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 Interstate, Group 29s, that are Marine Deep Cycle. They are going on 4 years now. My last set went 6 years and I replaced them just for the age. Last winter, (Dec), I started using "Battery Minder" maintenance chargers and am very impressed.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: