The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Flood / Docking Lights Mounted on Radar Arch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit off the main thread theme, but back in the general direction of mounting lights. The Spot light mounted on the platform on the bow rail gets around the annoyance of reflected light of the forward stainless if it were lit up by forward facing lights mounted farther aft. BUT, does that light become a forward view impairment in general cruising? It seems like it would be pretty much right in the way of seeing where you are wanting to go, unless you are just coming up onto plane and then would see under it.

I am considering placing forward facing lights, (LED spot and drive) up on the radar tower, and am considering the consequences of back scattered light off the bow rail. OR looking at alternative mounting schemes.

Thanks for your response.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harv, What do you want these lights to do for you? General cruising log lookout? Docking? It seems to me that the purpose might drive the type and placement.
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is pretty rare that I would cruise after dark, but where that to happen, log or crab float lookout would be high on the priority list. Spotting channel markers, daymarks etc would also be up there, and entering moorage, float or anchorage areas after dark would probably also be where they would be used. Also being in the fog in daylight, I had thought they might be a good option to light myself up to be seen better by others, but there would be considerable reflectance there that would be problematic, I am thinking.

The side lights would be for docking and be not a s bright. Could also be used if/when a SAR or MOB situation occurred.

Since I am mostly single handing, I see it as a turn on the lights and then drive the boat situation, where the handheld spot is bright and mobile, it makes spotting a float, driving and retrieving or picking up a float really awkward.

Hope that makes sense.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Last edited by hardee on Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, I have the Go Light mounted on the center of the bow rail and I have never noticed that it blocked my view. Even fly a flag above it and if anything that can block more...but again I don't notice it. Guess it is kinda similar to having big side mirrors on a truck, if there is a blind spot noted you don't really think about it...just mentally adjust for it. I also have side and stern flood lights....I don't use any of these often but when I do want them, they are there and very nice to have. Those lights are mounted on the radar arch...you can see pix of them on my album.
C-Brat #16

Last edited by DaveS on Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds as though side mounted lights up on the arch might work. If they are angled slightly back you should not get too much direct white light and still get a fair amount of ambient lighting for docking, pickups etc. Personally I don't think they would help in daytime fog, reflections off water droplets would just make seeing harder. I am not a big fan of forward lights unless you are willing to give up night vision pretty much completely and keep them on all the time.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see it as a turn on the lights and then drive the boat situation, where the handheld spot is bright and mobile, it makes spotting a float, driving and retrieving or picking up a float really awkward.

Generally running "driving lights" is frowned upon in boats. It not only hurts your night vision, but also will damage the night vision of others. I know that there are places where commercial boats do this (think of the fishing boats, squid boats etc on the West Coast. The Gulf Coast ICW some of the tugs will run search lights. (I just pull off the ICW until they go past)

Technically the Navigation regulations define the running lights, and nothing else which should be shown. If you want to be "seen"--I don't think that a "fog light" will be of much value--maybe put a super bright light on the 360 degree "steaming/anchor" light we have.

I have a moderat power 3 LED light just under the eyebrow of the aft cabin house which works well for both the cockpit and the area aft of the motor and would work find for backing into a dock about 50 feet back of the boat. The same type of lights could easily be used on each side of the cabin house. The only forward light we have used is a tractor type utility light which we put on the anchor with magnets--and this keeps the light below the deck level. It could also be used to point down at the water at low speeds in the open--not a real bright light or long range, but would show various debris in the water at low speed. Unfortunately we found that in your part of the woods, some times the logs were just under the surface of the water, and were almost impossible to see at daytime--let alone at night.

I have had several boats with the search light mounted on the top of a pilot house or hard top flying bridge. In every case, there was glare on the deck/railings which distracted from the view forward. The in the hull "docking lights" are sort of like what I use on a temporary basis on the anchor. If I really wanted a light forward, I would go with some of the LED in the hull docking lights.

I use the hand held spot light and drive the boat at the same time. It is mostly to pick up the buoy or pick out a marker. As for picking out debris--probably not a good option. Probably a FLIR vision is better there, but that means looking out the center window--for the budget version ($2K) of a hand held--the mounted FLIR camera is still in the $4K range.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a bit of a night owl, I could see cruising late into the evening at times. In that case, have them on as Headlights would be for spotting floaters, logs, etc, while cruising. (That would be slow cruising) and yes, that would mean a loss of night vision, so they would be on similar to car headlights and somewhat like the fishing boats run with their work lights on.

DaveS: Thanks for the reply on the position of the spot and flag. It would take some getting used to, I would think, to be driving into that blind spot all the time, but I know that is a common place for the spotlight mounts on the C-Dorys. (Truck mirrors are more off to the side it seems.)

Thanks for the reply.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
In that case, have them on as Headlights would be for spotting floaters, logs, etc, while cruising. (That would be slow cruising) and yes, that would mean a loss of night vision, so they would be on similar to car headlights and somewhat like the fishing boats run with their work lights on.

I don't know if you are interested in opinions on whether to have the lights (vs. how to implement them), but I don't see this analogy "working" at sea. I say that because when driving a car at night, you are not using night vision at all. You have completely given up on night vision, and are pretty much 100% reliant on your headlights for everything you see. However, that's on roads, which are clearly defined (often even with reflective stripes). Everyone else operating a vehicle is also in their prescribed place, with their headlights.

But I don't see it being like that at sea (i.e. on the water). The darker the better, as there is no "road," and you are trying to see other people's lights, anything you can see with your night vision, etc. (as helpful as they are, chartplotters etc. can also be problematic for night vision, I find). So "headlights" seem to me like they would go against what you want. They would also confuse others who are trying to figure out what and where you are (granted, fishing boats do this, but they are working vessels so it comes with the territory).

I probably sound contrary, sorry.

Sunbeam
DaveS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duplicate post deleted.

Last edited by DaveS on Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total
DaveS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time I used a Go Light was when we had our 16' C-Dory Cruiser. We had established a campsite on Clark Island (in the San Juan Islands) and were awaiting the arrival of friends that were towing a Jon boat with all of their camping gear in waterproof bags on it. As darkness approached they called me to say that the Jon boat was taking on water in the tidal rips and they needed assistance. I cruised out and came along side them just when darkness set in and the contents of their Jon boat spilled out into the tidal rips. I told them to continue on to the island while I with the Go Light illuminating the line of bags bobbing in the water, managed to retrieve nearly all of their waterproof bags. When I joined them back at the island we unloaded all of their equipment from Sea Shift to the shore. Then I motored Sea Shift off shore and with the Go Light illuminating the shore line, they unloaded the remaining bags from the Jon boat and carried all of their gear up to the campsite. (Ironically, I had just mounted that Go Light earlier that day). We all felt that having the light was an asset to the task at hand.

The Go Light mounted on the bow rail of our 22' is handy on occasion when approaching and reconnoitering a darkened dock at night.
As for the flood lights mounted on the radar arch, I've used the stern light for illuminating the stern of the vessel when backing into a slip after dark and the side lights when coming along side the dock at night. Additionally, once secured to a dock the stern light and side lights are convenient for any dockside activity when additional lighting is helpful.

Do I use them often? No, however they sure are convenient in some situations. Do, I use the bow light as a "headlight" for "driving" in darkness? No.

If I were outfitting another boat again, would I repeat the addition of these lights? Absolutely.

What prompted me to install "scene lights" in the first place? We have them on our Fire/Rescue boat and have found them to be extremely beneficial in several night time operations.

(Note: I generally don't cruise at night, but in a few instances I have arrived at my destination after dark.)
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lights facing backwards (astern) on a boat are often useful when launching at night or early in the morning.

Your tow vehicle's backup lights only light up the boat's bow area, and don't put much light at all behind the boat.

On the other hand, lights on the cabin top facing backwards flood the entirre area behind the boat and trailer, making backing down the ramp and launching much easier.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to clarify that I don't have anything against a hand-held (or similar) spotlight for task use. I was commenting on running "headlights" underway at night.
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Flood / Docking Lights Mounted on Radar Arch Reply with quote

I have a spotlight mounted on the front of the cabin roof (pics in album). It is an auto that will turn left/right, up/down. I have never used it for coming along side in the dark. I have used it in the middle of the night when up anchor and move to deeper water. I do not recall bow rail reflection or serious night vision loss. I never thought to turn it on in fog, but would probable get reflection 'bounce back'. Only downside to mounting the light where mine is, will it impede the dink stowage? I have the low radar arch so can not place part of the dink under the arch. My 6' 7" long dink fits nicely with about 20" to spare. So in theory I guess I could have an 8' dink up there.

Martin.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the solution. It was just mentioned in Panbo today, and will not go on sale until Dec 1. The IRIS295 NIGHTRUNNER is a dual camera--IR 320 x 240 VOx microbolometer, Like FLIR's and a Sony low light/daylight camera with pan and tilt, all connected with a Cat 5 cable, for about $5,000. FLIR's nearest computer is about $15,000. From their preliminary photos the night vision technology is equal too or better than the FLIR. If so, GAME ON, and I suspect we will see FLIR camera prices coming down rapidly--as we have seen with the home inspection field in the last year. This does not include the monitor, but these are reasonably cheap.

I am not surprised to see someone else enter the field, and up the ante, with night vision. I suspect we will see other competitors shortly. After all many of the high end cars now have IR cameras--and they cannot cost $15,000 each...It is possible that one could buy the camera alone, and make his own IR setup not too far down the line.

Here is a video of the core camera--and the Iris unit has enhancements, plus the pan and tilt: http://www.drs.com/Products/RSTA/Tamarisk_media.aspx
hardee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, More and better night vision. And I was thinking I was getting to the end of add ons. Oh well.

Nice trick though. Looks like a "Must have" for SAR. And, a bit above my budget right now.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: