The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Flood / Docking Lights Mounted on Radar Arch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Best Day

City/Region: Long Beach
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Best Day
Photos: Best Day
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I'm looking into adding a remote spotlight to my bow pulpit. It's not clear from these posts if the plate you guys added was welded on or store bought and bolted on. I'm hoping the latter, that sounds less expensive.

Thanks,
Bill
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill-

All those I remember, including mine, are welded. Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Best Day

City/Region: Long Beach
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Best Day
Photos: Best Day
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Joe,

That shows it perfectly. I'll have to find someone to do that locally.

Bill
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill-

You're welcome.

But that's not to say it couldn't be done by making a plate that fits over the bow pulpit to the top of the tube line, and then fastening it with stainless sheet metal screws if one had to because of the cost .or the unavailability of someone to fabricate one out of stainless and weld it in place.

We also usually get asked how to lead the power cord/control wires back to the helm. Here's how to hide the wires:

On mine, the wires pass into a hole drilled into the bow pulpit tube under the bow plate, then are led back down the tube and down the first (or could be the second if you want) tube support and through the tube base plate and into the cabin area.

You have to drill a hole in the base plate and through the fiberglass of the cabin beneath it as well. The hole is drilled starting from the inside between the two machine screws.

An electrician's fish tape or stainless cable with a loop or eyelet on the end is inserted from one end and pulls the wires through.

They also have WIRELESS remote control spotlights, now, but I assume you'd still have to get a power providing wire to it.

If this isn't clear or you have other questions, just ask!

Joe.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We took a lesson from the list (and I appologize to whom ever I stole this from), but purchased a tractor utility light from Wal Mart for about $9 and I had a good strong magnet which I could bolt to the bracket of this light.
I put the magnet on the anchor when I need the light. I have had spot lights on a couple of boats--and used hand held ones on many more. It is nice to have a low level light--but with a bright spot/flood light, it hurts your night vision--so we just use the tractor utility light when in crowded narrow places or comming into our bayou if there is not enough ambient light.

I agree that for a built in search light, that the top of the bow pulpit is an excellent place. I suspect that one could JB weld a SS plate on the pulpit also and have it hold almost as well as a weld.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Old Jim

City/Region: Chicago
State or Province: IL
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I know my ignorance is showing again but I racked my brain trying to think of what a "JB weld" might be. Bob, enlighten me, please.

Jim
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim-

If you read the other thread, you'll note Bob is busy having a two day "End of the Hurricane Season Party" tonight and tomorrow. So I'll partially answer your question to get you started and let him finish later.

His idea of attaching the spotlight plate to the bow rail is an excellent one! Be sure to roughen up both surfaces and clean all oils and waxes away.

One could also drill both parts and use stainless or Monel pop rivets.

JB Weld is a super tough high temperature tolerant epoxy mixture that can be used to bond almost any two substances together. It's been used to repair cracked engine blocks, among other things.

Here's a LINK to their website!

Joe.
Old Jim

City/Region: Chicago
State or Province: IL
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Joe. I really love this place. Enlightenment is only a mouse click away.

Jim
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck, I get to play on the computer between entertaining....Thanks Joe.

I know of times that JB weld (an epoxy designed for metals) has been used to repair cracks in engine blocks. I have used it for a crack in an outboard lower unit gear case. I also bent a Stanchion post base oncrete dock in Mexico--and it was going to be almost impossiable to repair with out taking the entire life line system apart, so I bent the base, the 1/4" SS rod which was a brace, and put JB Weld on this. 11 years later this JB weld is still there, holding the stanchion base together. I probably would put a couple of sheet metal screws into the pulpit as well as the JB weld--but it will hold. The suggestions of roughing up the SS, cleaning it well are essential.
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Bob!

I've got a stanschion on the rails around my Sea Ray that needs much the same treatment. Not damaged, just loose!

As I understand it, they mount the entire bow pulpit (which extends halfway back along the raised cabin trunk) to the deck BEFORE the deck is joined to the hull.

This, of course, is easier than doing it after they're bonded. Saves time and $.

The only problem is that later, after they install all the plumbing, electrical, galley, headliner, cabin bulkheads, drawers, upolstery, screwed down racks, holders, etc., etc.,........ is that it's absolutely impossible to get to the nuts under the stanchion base! Maybe a weasel could go there, but not me!

Enter JB Weld.

I'm going to have to forcefully insert some specially made split washers under the stansion base, filing the area above, below, and between them, the stansion base, and the deck with JB Weld, and drop a couple of sheet metal screws through the sandwich for good measure. 5200 would also work, but it wouldn't be as strong.

Thank you JB Weld!

Joe.
ksidener

City/Region: Piers Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C-Side
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-WEED wrote:
Luna C, I found it in the isle with all the lights but it was hidden on the very top shelf. It was called a work light. The only one they had and I haven't seen one since. I haven't seen one like it in any auto parts stores but I am sure there are some around somewhere.

C-WEED, have you found any other sources for these units? The original thread is 2005 and I've checked my local Walmart and their web site and haven't found anything like it.

Any input most appreciated.

Thanks,

Kelly

C-Side
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ksidener wrote:
C-WEED wrote:
Luna C, I found it in the isle with all the lights but it was hidden on the very top shelf. It was called a work light. The only one they had and I haven't seen one since. I haven't seen one like it in any auto parts stores but I am sure there are some around somewhere.

C-WEED, have you found any other sources for these units? The original thread is 2005 and I've checked my local Walmart and their web site and haven't found anything like it.

Any input most appreciated.

Thanks,

Kelly

C-Side

I ordered one of those lights on-line... it's been a couple years ago, so I'm sorry I don't remember where. A search on magnetic work light came up with this...

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_43192_-1______14297%7C14337%7C14340%7C43192?listingPage=true&Special=false

Looks like what we bought. I don't use it a lot, but when we run at night, it's easy to stick it to the anchor roller and run the 12v plug back to the helm.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,
Jim B.
C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ksidener,

I got your e-mail. Been to busy to keep up with this site. I had an old non-working K-40 CB antenna that has one of the strongest magnets available. They used to guarantee that a 4 ft whip antenna would not blow off the roof of a car at 120 mph. Super strong magnet! The anchor is low carbon so it doesn't rust. You want a good strong magnet to stick in rough water.

So I up-graded the magnet. They come out with better and better lights all the time that would work. You just need to adapt the magnet base. Some CB antenna magnets have the folding mount and some the antenna just screws in to the magnet. If you find a screw in type magnet base just find a bolt to screw the swivel base of a light in and your done. Find a usable magnet first and then shop for a light. You can get them with and without a swivel base. Most 4x4 off-road lights can come with or without the swivel base. The good quality cig adapter cord can then be added.

Don't give up the search. Check automotive roadside emergency kits at auto stores. I have seen lights with the magnet advertised to stick to the side of the vehicle for hands free lighting while you change a tire. The magnet might work but you could upgrade the light to a brighter one.

A good place to check is truck stops. The bigger ones usually have a CB radio repair and have all kinds of antennas lying around. Any place that sells emergency vehicle lighting should have something as they make the red flashing magnetic lights for undercover cruisers. I am sure someone makes a magnetic flood light for city trucks.

A source for magnets is any electric motor repair/overhaul shop. Electric motor magnets are super strong. I am sure they are lying around for free at the right places. Not sure how they would react to drilling a hole in one... You could JB weld a mount to one. Another magnet source is inside any very large stereo speaker. Find one in the trash and you are on your way.

Another source for a super magnet is any outdoor store. Cabalas, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro and even your local Wal-Mart. In the fishing section they have a super magnet used for fishing. They usually have an eye for a rope that a mount could be attached. Used to fish for dropped car keys, fishing poles and even small outboard motors. If I recall, some claim they can pick up over 100 lbs under water.

Hope this gives you some ideas. Post a picture of what you end up with!

Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just don't put it near your compass or other electronics when you store it! Cry

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll know when you got too big a magnet if Russian submarines start homing in on you..... Laughing

Chris: Very resourceful thinking!!! Idea Star Star Star

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: