The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Flood / Docking Lights Mounted on Radar Arch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it!!! The cat's meow . . .
Little Catelyn

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Little Catelyn
Photos: Little Catelyn
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

So, that's your boat. I had seen those pictures and I liked your arrangement so much that I became interested in stealing your idea. I'll be in the process of having an arch made for my boat, so if I'm going to do this, now would be the time.

Does your GoLight mounted on the pulpit railing negate the need for the flood lights mounted on your arch, or is the spotlight's beam too narrow to light-up the area close-in and along side?

Do you have any problems with how and where your lights are mounted? I'm considering a second set of cross-bars placed near the bend in the main bars for a mounting location -- lights would be a little higher and the lower cross-bar would make for a nice hand-hold.

Do your flood lights look like they will last? What about leaking?

Thanks,
Corwin
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Corwin,
My arch was constructed in your back/front yard. (ie: Brooks in Anacortes).
The Go-Light would probably suffice for illumination on the sides, but I chose to have the side "fixed" mount flood lights on the sides as well so I could achieve 360 degree illumination all at the same moment in time.
The only problem I have with the way the lights are mounted is in regard to the rear facing flood light. Because the stainless steel where it is attached to is curved, the mounting bracket is different from the much better brackets on the port and starboard scene light. This difference does not allow as sturdy of a mounting, causing the light to vibrate downward while underway. Additionally, when the camper back is deployed the rear scene light is not mounted high enough to shine over the top of the camperback. (Without the camperback deployed, the illumination is fantastic for the cockpit, engines and into the water to the rear of the vessel).
The flood lights are of high quality, and appear to be lasting. We've had no problem with water intrusion even under the pressure of a garden hose when performing washdown.
Does a person need all this lighting? Probably not, but I felt that if I ever felt the need for it that it would be a nice adjunct. (Guess it stems from my line of work, where at night time I enjoy great illumination surrounding me).
Additionally, I believe that Brooks installed the mounting plate for the bow mounted Go-Light. The Go-Light is controlled by a switch on the dash and also comes with a hand held remote. Last summer, I utilized the hand held from the shore of Lake Roosevelt, while "Sea Shift" was at anchor. We were able to sit in the lounge chairs on shore and spot deer along the lake drinking water. (You know.....men and their toys!). CoolSmile

C-Brat #16
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I read this thread a few weeks back, I decided to add some photos to my album showing the cabin top flood and search lights I've added to my boat.

Here is the link to the six photos in my album:

Sea Wolf

I don't have an arch for the radar, but have mounted them on the cabin top directly, except for the forward Jabsco remote search & flood light which is mounted on the bow pulpit to allow its use without reflecting on the railing and blinding you.

The four floods are inexpensive from Harbor Freight Tools, but seem to work just fine without corrosion issues, although I'm usually not in salt water.

The Q-Beam rear flood is detachable and can be handheld when desired.

Besides the two auxiliaries hand helds pictured on the cooler, I also have a magnetic based flood that's still in the package under the dinette rear seat.

I'm going to add a polished stainless reflector over each of the four floods to reflect about 1/3 of the light side ways rather than install side lights. Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Little Catelyn

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Little Catelyn
Photos: Little Catelyn
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, looks like you really get lit-up after dark!

Thanks for sharing your photos,
Corwin
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corwin- Thanks!

One of the best benefits of the lights surprisingly is in launching and retrieving the boat from the trailer. The rear ones light up everything on and around the ramp when backing down and launching the boat in the early morning before dawn, and if you come in after dark, you can light up the dock and ramp with the front ones so there's no problem at all with the after dark retrieval. Joe.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Joe! Shocked Shocked

What a set of lights! Now I see why you have the two extra batteries!! Thumbs Up

If the power in Redding ever fails, you can always reverse feed the town!

Laughing

Great Setup! Makes my flashlight look pretty puny! Embarassed

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie-

Thanks for the comments!

I also have added a Honda EU1000i generator in the past month that will allow me to charge the batteries and run small 120 volt appliances such as heater or whatever when necessary. I choose the 1000 watt over the 2000 as I decided I didn't want to add AC on the roof, and selected a good sized three stage battery charger that will put out up to 40 amps and charge all four batteries simultaneously. I'm planning on getting some photos of the whole electrical set up soon and doing a write up on it including the shore power set up. Joe.

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, you've got more lights than Chevy Chase's house at Christmas time! LOL
Al

Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
I also have added a Honda EU2000i generator .... I choose the 1000 watt over the 2000 ...

Somehow I missed something, Joe. Did you get the EU1000 or the EU2000?

Eventually we plan to do overnights in "steamy summer" places too. That's why we've been checking out those small 6-7k btu roll around portable A/C units. They're not much bigger than a small cooler and our EU2000i should run it handily. I wonder if anyone else has looked at or used them? A little hose exhausts hot air out and it could be rigged to slip the air out through the bilge pump area I think. Just speculating though.

Oh, a hint, Joe. Don't forget to open the vent lever on the gas tank before starting. I'm always forgetting that. Angry

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don-

I bought the EU1000iA2. My mistake in posting, just careless in the rush!

While the days are quite hot here in Northern California, the humidity is low, and the temperature drops off nicely after dark. Just couldn't see trying to stay inside the cabin and run the generator all day to have the AC, although if I were back east or in the South I'd go for it for sure.

We also have a pontoon boat for the summer at the lake, and bring the C-Dory home to the RV barn to be used for high country fishing at places like Eagle Lake at elevations where it doesn't get much more than 85 degrees during the day.

Thanks for the comment about the air vent. I was also warned about the problem where I bought the unit. One trick with these units is to hide them inside the boat, as they are routinely stolen from boats and RV's. Some people have even had them stolen from RV parks while they were running them!.....the TV suddenly goes dead and by the time they go outside to look to see if it's still running, they are just able to see it disappear down the drive with the new "owner". Many have gone to chaining them down to the RV unit as a result! Joe.
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right Joe, as as far as chains necessary! There's a Yahoo group "Honda_EU2000_Generators" that even shows how to "stealth" paint your generator so it doesn't look as tempting.

We don't need A/C here either, though I wouldn't say that 20 miles inland. I've lived or RV'd in the midwest, southwest, and along the eastern shore, and I can't imagine summer nights without at least something to dull the pain. Rolling Eyes Places like Galveston TX give me the creeps. If the heat doesn't get you, mosquito mauraders will. Even had them go through heavy sox to stab the ankles. Awesome critters.

Don
Old Jim

City/Region: Chicago
State or Province: IL
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill (Da Nag)

Quote:
Dave (Sea Shift) turned me on to a cool solution when our boats were getting rigged - we both had stainless plates mounted to our bow rails, and installed remote control GoLights. Here's a pic of mine during installation, and here's a link to several models at the manufacturer's web site.

I assume that you ran the wiring inside the bow pulpit rail but I'm not clear on how and where it enters the boat. Could you please clarify that for me?

Thanks,
Jim
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Jim-

Bill can tell you how Les did his, mine was done by the previous owner who drilled a hole from inside the cabin into the backing plate to the rail base and up into the hollow cavity of the rail tube.

Enlarge the hole sufficiently, then insert an electrician's fish tape into the hole, up the tube, and to another hole in the rail tube just under the welded on base plate for the remote controlled searchlight. Then you attach the wires to the fish tape's little hook end, and pull them back down into the cabin!

Bill- Was this the way yours was done?

If this is too complicated for some, there are not wireless remote controlled searchlights!

Joe.
Old Jim

City/Region: Chicago
State or Province: IL
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Joe. Nice and simple.

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: