The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Marine Head - Compostiing Toilet
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Marine Head - Compostiing Toilet Reply with quote

OK, check out this composting marine toilet. It is probably too late for us, but this IMHO would be infinitely superior to the standard marine head that we are no doubt going to end up with. Composting toilets are proven technology (you use them at most marine state parks). I have no doubt that they would work great. On the other side, the standard marine head / holding tank / macerator combo is a nightmare. I don't relish hauling a tank full of sh*t around until I can find either a discharge area (in US waters, not where I boat) or a pumpout. And marine heads are just downright cranky. They baffle me even when they are not plugged or broken. It is :sigh: probably too late to change over on the new Daydream - plumbing no doubt gone too far, ordered the upgraded macerator. I wish this thought had come sooner. Sorry guys, nothing you say here can alleviate the anxiety I feel about this particular aspect of the new boat...

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Last edited by Pat Anderson on Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,

I agree. It looks like the way to go. Marcia and I own a 61 acre wooded valley in remote Amish country with a cabin on a two acre stocked lake. We sunk a well, but went with a composting toilet to avoid the hassle of septic. We've used it for nearly three years now and it works great.

Nick
Valkyrie
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The operating capacity of the unit is based upon approximately two uses per day for two people or 80 uses.

Uh, I do you think that's enough capacity for the average C-Brat? Wink
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In looking at the pictures and reading about how this works I have some concerns as to the "perfume" this might put out. Without being too graphic, it appears that the floor of the toilet bowl is slanted towards the front and that liquids run into a collector container which is removable and can be disposed of fairly easily. Holds about a gallon. The rear (pun intended) of the toilet bowl has a circular indent in the center about 6 inches in diameter on which you place what looks like a large coffee filter into which you deposit the non-liquid. Wouldn't want to miss this by much. That is then dropped by a lever through a door into the composting compartment below. There is a vent pipe to the outside and a very low current fan for circulation in the composting container.There is no water used to "flush" or other wise clean the bowl. It would appear to me that there would be a lot of wiping out of the bowl to keep it clean and even that would not get it clean enough that there would be no odor generated by residue building up and not being thoroughly cleaned.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the water, it's hard to beat a porta-potty. A seat is a seat, and a minehune keeps ours neat and clean. If something goes wrong, and nothing has in almost 5 years, replace it for a hundred or so. We have had marine heads on other boats, and, we repeat, its hard to beat a porta potty.
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is one place where Anna Leigh and Daydream will differ markedly...called Scott and deleted the standard marine head, macerator & holding tank from Daydream yesterday, just placed the order for the Airhead Composting Marine Toilet a few minutes ago, will be here in 3-5 days...I am so relieved (hmmm...Freudian?) about not having a marine head. I have just read and heard (and in one case observed) too much negative about them, and the idea of hauling a full tank of sh*t around until I can find a pumpout was the one thing about the move to the 25 that I was not looking forward to...Bill is right about the Porta-Potti, I had suggested putting a Porta-Potti on the new Daydream and not using the marine head, at least on day trips or overnighters, but Patty vetoed that (so, now you know who is really in charge). Stay tuned!
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAT-

Best of luck with the composting head! Gutsy move from which the only retreat will be back to the Portappotty. Keep us informed. Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, Is the composting head and a shower compatible for the small head area? (Can the CH get wet without damage to electric componants) Robbi

2003 C-Dory 19
sold 2019

2004 C-Dory 16 Cruiser
Sold 8/2015

2004 C-Dory 19 "C-Run"
Sold 8/2011

1989 C-Dory 16 Angler
Sold 2010
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat-

Next question: What will you do with the extra unused space under the floor for the sewage tank? How about an additional gas tank for longer trips like the Desolation Sound Gig??? Joe.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat... I watch this with MUCH interest...as I ponder the pages of text looking for replacement parts for the head that came on FreeByrd...after having already been sent a replacement motor which had gotten wet with more than likely salt water with THIS boats roots...and previous usage. I have flat out told Mike and B that I would prefer just using a 5 gallon bucket on the "back porch" of FreeByrd, or just in the walkway on those frosty nights....rather than making that "step down" into the head compartment, and crawl out... and....wow.... what a lot of storage space of extended cruising that big ol box of an area the current head is in. I could easily just mount some plugs, insulated the two wires, put the whole thing in a plastic bag in the garage,,,just in case I do want to sell it once I get on a new TC255...and the new owners want that electric head. Now...having said all of that.... I must admit, that when working properly, it is great to have on the boat, particuarly for visitors who have not made the transition to "life on the river"... and think they have to have a stall to rid of daily needs...or....often...multiple daily needs... And...Yes ladies, it is different than just being able to pee over the side...but often, you simply can not do that with kids/other boaters in the area... Another reason I love my C-Dory and wallas heater.... Those 5 months most folks are in their dens, I am on FreeByrd loving life on the water... Pat, keep us posted on this.
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will keep everyone posted on how this goes - it will probably be three weeks or a month until there is much more to report. Robbi, good question about compatibility with the shower, I think the little muffin fan is completely internal, it is an exhaust fan for the vent, but I will be sure to know the answer before spraying it with the shower...
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Pat... I have looked at and read the initial posting page you gave us... I find it interesting that one of the original designers....was named "Trott..".. no pun intended, but simply another causal observation. Another idea....(you'll love this one) is that since your "air-head" will be in prior to your boat being ready....you could "field test" it at the brew plant... just build a similar shaped plywood box of the dimentions of the head/shower area on the CD25, wire up the littel exhaust fan.... and check her out for a week or two.
On an entirely differant note.... I tossed an offer for another gathering on the TC25 link/forum area....
Bess-C

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Bess-C
Photos: Bess-C
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,
I'm glad you're testing this out. I'll observe it with interest. I understand your concern about carrying around a full holding tank. One of the learning steps is to not carry around a full tank. Pump out frequently, or macerate frequently in remote areas with no pump outs.

We haven't had any problems with the toilet and holding tank (yet). We use a liquid cleaner/lubricant for the toilet and a deodorizer and breakdown material for the holding tank. Our only problem has been with the macerator pump. That's why I suggested the alternative SeaLand pump to you and David. Twice while on vacation off of Vancouver Island we had the macerator fail. As luck would have it, it was when we had a full waste tank. I was able to find another macerator pump in a marine store, but replacing the pump in the bilge was a gross job.

I hope your composting toilet works out. However, I don't think there is a perfect solution to this. If it was just me on the boat I would follow El & Bill's advice and go to a porta-potty. There are some other things I've learned that we can discuss at the Lopez gathering.
Lyle

17 Center Console C-Dory 10/16
MichaelOnTheClaraMae

City/Region: Charleston
State or Province: SC
Photos: Clara Mae
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Pat, how is that composting head working out now that you have made it through your first summer? At the very least, I am looking at a new seal kit installation on the standard head in the Clara Mae and am looking at options before I tear the little dear apart.
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is working out great! One little problem with the 12 volt fan, but Airhead replaced it quickly. Virtually NO odor. We are extremely pleased!

MichaelOnTheClaraMae wrote:
So Pat, how is that composting head working out now that you have made it through your first summer? At the very least, I am looking at a new seal kit installation on the standard head in the Clara Mae and am looking at options before I tear the little dear apart.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: